House Price Crash Forum

London Council Tenants Compared To 'made In Chelsea' Brigade

HOLA441

Reminds me of the film Passport to Pimlico not the preserve of millionaires but grimmer than Hartlepool.......

I'm not sure it was that grim, but it was not "posh" once. What a great film, BTW. I have a whole boxed set of "Ealing" films! ;)

The difficulty with removing all the "poor" people from London, is then the toffs will have no waiters, or plumbers, and will have to drive to Swindon to get the Bentley fixed.

HOLA442

Ha ha, all the time, my area is gentrified on all sides, we are like a pocket of resistance. Aspirant people still can't handle council estate land, even if it is central London darling.

Still, they are not the ones who can even ******ing afford it, all the private residences are foreign owned and mostly empty, they are not rented out.

Squatting will return

HOLA443

Ha ha, all the time, my area is gentrified on all sides, we are like a pocket of resistance. Aspirant people still can't handle council estate land, even if it is central London darling.

Still, they are not the ones who can even ******ing afford it, all the private residences are foreign owned and mostly empty, they are not rented out.

Squatting will return

Yes it will! An empty house is quite tempting! One of my mates lived in a "squat" in north London in the early 80s! :huh:

HOLA444

I'm not sure it was that grim, but it was not "posh" once. What a great film, BTW. I have a whole boxed set of "Ealing" films! ;)

The difficulty with removing all the "poor" people from London, is then the toffs will have no waiters, or plumbers, and will have to drive to Swindon to get the Bentley fixed.

or a crazy idea that wages will increase. you know: supply & demand

HOLA445

Brixton has done the whole trip, from Posh Victorian suburb, to a shi1hole of HMO's rented to immigrants, and now it's posh again. :huh:

I live near Brixton. It's not posh, and for as long as large numbers of cash-poor time-rich people are housed here for free by the government, it never will be.

Edited by Dorkins

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

in majority of private jobs you are paid more in London than working in North or West

There are more better jobs for sure in London but the fact is any increased earnings are absorbed by the rentiers and the sheer cost of moving around the place. (I'm not a London knocker by the way, I quite like the place).

In the North/North East one could have a reasonable comfortable independent existence on NMW, even renting a small house or decent flat and running a s/h car. Doubt whether that would be possible in London.

I know plenty of London 'professionals' who seem trapped in 'shared lodgings' well into their 40's (one is even living in a 'shed' and his rent is quite possible paying the entire tracker mortgage of the house owner)

I'm not sure they have thought this through but as they are 'hooked on London' and its various distractions, they probably haven't.