House Price Crash Forum

Is It Normal To Charge £114 To "clear The Check" ?

Liopik

HOLA441

Hi!

My agents work through these guys http://www.glenmead.co.uk/

So we moved out 3 weeks ago. Landlord told that he will keep £85 because he didn't like the garden. Ok. I don't mind.

He sent the rest of money to this Glenmead. And they told me that it will take 10 working days to clear the check and they will charge me £114 to "clear the check". I was in shok! £114 to clear the check?! They say I singned for this in the begining.

Even if I did, just wondering, is it ok to chage so much for nothing?! Its a robbery, isn't it? How to avoid paying them £114? Not the best feeling when such companies treat you like a mushroom :(

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

Hi!

My agents work through these guys http://www.glenmead.co.uk/

So we moved out 3 weeks ago. Landlord told that he will keep £85 because he didn't like the garden. Ok. I don't mind.

He sent the rest of money to this Glenmead. And they told me that it will take 10 working days to clear the check and they will charge me £114 to "clear the check". I was in shok! £114 to clear the check?! They say I singned for this in the begining.

Even if I did, just wondering, is it ok to chage so much for nothing?! Its a robbery, isn't it? How to avoid paying them £114? Not the best feeling when such companies treat you like a mushroom :(

The cost of cheque clearing is simple overcharging - an outrage. I should ask where you signed for it. If its in small print somewhere inconspicuous it may well fall foul of the Unfair Contract Terms Act. See Citizens Advice!

Point 2. Why id the Landlord having to give 'the rest of the money' to the agent. A deposit should have been placed in the Deposit Scheme BY LAW. If that's been done wrong tell them you will report if all not returned and you dont expect to be charged for the cheque clearing either.

HOLA445

The cost of cheque clearing is simple overcharging - an outrage. I should ask where you signed for it. If its in small print somewhere inconspicuous it may well fall foul of the Unfair Contract Terms Act. See Citizens Advice!

Point 2. Why id the Landlord having to give 'the rest of the money' to the agent. A deposit should have been placed in the Deposit Scheme BY LAW. If that's been done wrong tell them you will report if all not returned and you dont expect to be charged for the cheque clearing either.

Thank you for your reply.

No, it is not in a small print. It clearly says in the document "guide notes for tenants" which I singed before I moved in. That was 3.5 years ago. That paper has a table

"required from tenants prior to granting occupation"

Check in contribution: £95+vat.

Thats £114.

Also I have a document from mydeposits, which says that the deposit is protected.

So I don't know how to avoid this robbery :(. £114 for nothig :(

HOLA446

"Check in contribution" will have nothing to do with "cheque clearance". Do you see the difference in spelling? You need to ask them what the "check in contribution" is for.

See file attached.

I don't know English so good to understand difference between "clearance" and "contribution".

Ok, I will mention this, but first I need an email from them with the word "clearance". I think they won't reply to my email.

Can I say them that this table says "prior to grating occupation"? This check now is well after occupation. What do you think?

Thank you

IMG_17151.jpg

post-36407-0-17192700-1377891788_thumb.jpg

HOLA447

See file attached.

I don't know English so good to understand difference between "clearance" and "contribution".

Ok, I will mention this, but first I need an email from them with the word "clearance". I think they won't reply to my email.

Can I say them that this table says "prior to grating occupation"? This check now is well after occupation. What do you think?

Thank you

The check in charge was amended to FOC (free of charge) are they talking about a check out charge to inspect the premises and check the inventory on vacation?

HOLA448

The check in charge was amended to FOC (free of charge) are they talking about a check out charge to inspect the premises and check the inventory on vacation?

Hm....

look, on the next page I found this: see picture.

So may be they mean check out fee and they just lie me over the phone. And they don't confirm in written for what they gonna charge me 114.

If this is the case is it normal to charge 114 check out fee?

IMG_17177.jpg

post-36407-0-29234600-1377894399_thumb.jpg

HOLA449

A quick update:

They phoned me today and tolnd me that they will send the deposit and will charge me 114 for check out. I told them its not fair to charge me for check in as well as for check out. They just told Sorry, but nothing we can do.

So it looks like I will loose 114 for this greedy company. Now I want to report them that they charge for check in and for check out.

HOLA4410

It's a safe bet that Tenant 1's "check out list" will become Tenant 2's "check in list" with just a change of header.

So the agent isn't just being paid for doing nothing, they're being paid twice for doing nothing.

Disgusting.

HOLA4411

A quick update:

They phoned me today and tolnd me that they will send the deposit and will charge me 114 for check out. I told them its not fair to charge me for check in as well as for check out. They just told Sorry, but nothing we can do.

So it looks like I will loose 114 for this greedy company. Now I want to report them that they charge for check in and for check out.

I doubt that you can do much about it, you signed a contract that clearly stated there will be a £95 + VAT check out charge on vacation. You did not actually pay a check in charge as that was amended to FOC.

HOLA4412

I doubt that you can do much about it, you signed a contract that clearly stated there will be a £95 + VAT check out charge on vacation. You did not actually pay a check in charge as that was amended to FOC.

I did pay check in fee. FOC is next to £100.25. Not next to 95+vat. So I payed it. But even that makes no difference. :(

Sad, very sad. :(

Thank you guys for your help!

HOLA4413

What agent is this? I would never agree to such terms. 350 quid just for the contract? Spurious other fees along the way in the hope you won't notice them when you first sign up? There are plenty of properties out there and plenty of agents, you can avoid the sharks like these.