House Price Crash Forum

High Streets Wait For A Pre-christmas Rush

Guest unregistered

HOLA441
DESPERATE sales tactics are failing to ignite high street spending as retailers find the traditional pre-Christmas rush is threatening to peter out before it has even begun.

Stores in Wales said yesterday that sales were down on last year.

The Office for National Statistics said cash spent between August and October rose 0.2% on a year earlier - the weakest annual rate since records began more than 50 years ago.

And unseasonably warm weather has been a headache for clothing and footwear retailers, who had filled their stores with coats, hats, scarves and boots.

Bhs owner Philip Green joined those lamenting the warm weather when he said, "I don't like making excuses but we've not had any winter until the last 48 hours."

:o

http://icwales.icnetwork.co.uk/0100news/02...-name_page.html

HOLA442
HOLA443

Latest Adverts on over the past couple of days:

B&Q 10% off EVERYTHING for 4 days

Boots buy two products get one free

Argos 10-20% off loads of items

Debenhams 20% sale

Woolies 15%? off

WHSMIFF 15% off

Blah Blah in the busiest time of year!

Wot recession :o

Edited by erranta

HOLA444
Guest Bart of Darkness
Bhs owner Philip Green joined those lamenting the warm weather when he said, "I don't like making excuses but we've not had any winter until the last 48 hours.

Wouldn't warm weather encourage people to go out and bitterly cold weather encourage them to stay in (I suppose shopping Malls might be a more attractive place to go if the weather is bad as everything is indoors but people do go there at other times of the year).

What next, the wrong kind of snow? :blink:

HOLA445

Latest Adverts on over the past couple of days:

B&Q 10% off EVERYTHING for 4 days

Boots buy two products get one free

Argos 10-20% off loads of items

Debenhams 20% sale

Woolies 15%? off

WHSMIFF 15% off

Blah Blah in the busiest time of year!

Wot recession :o

REMEMBER MY PREDICTION;

A surge will occur in December, and in Jan 2006 we will here the high st. boomed in December. I promise.

HOLA446

REMEMBER MY PREDICTION;

A surge will occur in December, and in Jan 2006 we will here the high st. boomed in December. I promise.

You "promise" do you? What, you mean you will be arranging it personally? Ha ha ha!

Of course there will be an increase right before Christmas. People will eventually get out there and indulge in the usual mindless spending spree. But, it might not be as big as in the past. I think there is a big chance of that. Remember too, that sometimes headlines report the level of sales, and not the money taken; a lot of recent imrovement in retail is actually being reported as volumes going up in response to slashed prices. Finally, the medai may well get their favourite words out to describe whatever does happen (e.g. "boom, fueled, soared" etc.) That doesn't mean it actually really happened.