House Price Crash Forum

Centre Point To Be Turned Into Flats

HOLA441

http://www.newhomestoday.org.uk/news_features/Londons-Centre-Point-to-be-turned-into-new-homes

"One of the country’s most controversial buildings, Centre Point, is to be redeveloped into homes.

The £350m plans were given the green light after a three-hour meeting by Camden Council, which turned down an initial application last year.

The 34-storey Grade Two listed building, designed by Richard Seifert, was one of the first skyscrapers in London.

Developer Harry Hyams built it as a speculative office block and then left it empty for five years after its completion in 1967, wanting to make the most of rising office rents and aiming to find just one wealthy tenant for the complete building.

With most business tenancies being taken for set periods of 10 or 15 years, Hyams could afford to wait for his single tenant at the asking price of £1,250,000 a year.

The building, which became a symbol of greed, will now be turned into 82 flats, plus 13 affordable homes, with shops and restaurants at street level.

The developers are Almacantar and Frogmore, who will also repair the building’s façade.

Mike Hussey, chief executive of Almacantar, said: “We intend to transform the way Londoners view and interact with Centre Point, while always staying true to its heritage.

“Our ambition is to ensure the scheme is re-established as a landmark destination that Londoners can be proud of.”

The granting of planning permission came just days after a bar and restaurant at the top of the building, pledged to take legal action, saying it still had around 30 years remaining on its lease.

Century Projects, which operates Paramount bar over three floors, is suing the developers for losses because of its closure."

Also in local press

http://www.camdennewjournal.com/news/2013/jul/developers-win-permission-camden-council-turn-centrepoint-tower-high-end-flats

Put me down for a couple.

Edited by Snugglybear

HOLA442

Put me down for a couple.

Me too!

Wonder what will happen to the homeless shelter?

The vicar of the Grade-I listed St Giles church, Bill Jacob, made a passionate speech in front of councillors at the Town Hall claiming the scheme will directly affect his church.

He said: "The Intrepid Fox site is very small and unsuitable for an 11 storey block. It will have an unacceptable impact on a Grade-I listed church. They are trying to squeeze social housing on to an unsuitable site."

He added there was a stark difference between the two buildings being proposed.

"The residences for affordable housing will not be nice, while the super rich will have amazing views," he said.

Sounds a bit NIMBYish

Edited by Secure Tenant

HOLA443

Me too!

Wonder what will happen to the homeless shelter?

Sounds a bit NIMBYish

There isn't a homeless shelter there. The name of the homelessness charity is a coincidence.

In fact, having trundled over to the developers' website, I see I've mis-spelled the building's name - it's actually spelled Centre Point, two words. I'll try to edit that.

HOLA444

There isn't a homeless shelter there. The name of the homelessness charity is a coincidence.

In fact, having trundled over to the developers' website, I see I've mis-spelled the building's name - it's actually spelled Centre Point, two words. I'll try to edit that.

I seem to remember this could not be let at one time because it was built with entirely inadequate lift and stair capacity with no way of rectifying the problem. So now it will become a fire trap for families instead of office workers?

HOLA445

I've been to the club at the top of the tower a few times. Stunning views but it was bit weird with just a small corridor around the perimeter to see outside. The area around Centre Point has improved with the new offices just behind, but it's still not a great part of town and pretty dead and spooky after dark.

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

My strongest memory of Centre Point was when I did a training course in a building next door to it. We were having a coffee on the roof garden when somebody said "Look, a Jumper!" I thought it was a joke, but turned around to look anyway. It wasn't a joke, and I watched the poor fellow plummet all the way down to his death. :(

I wonder if we'll see a bit more of that once IRs start to rise?