House Price Crash Forum

1970S Motorway Landmark Question

blobloblob

HOLA441

As a small child in the early or mid 1970s, on family trips we occasionally used to pass some massive cooling towers right next to a motorway. Journeys started on the M6 in North Lancashire but I can't remember where we were going when we passed them, although we did occasionally used to visit both the South East and North East of England.

I drive around on motorways loads these days so I'm sure they're not there any more. Having said that, it could be somewhere round Hartlepool I suppose, as I haven't been back there since my childhood. Does anyone know where I mean? They were the power station sort of cooling towers.

HOLA442
Guest eight

As a small child in the early or mid 1970s, on family trips we occasionally used to pass some massive cooling towers right next to a motorway. Journeys started on the M6 in North Lancashire but I can't remember where we were going when we passed them, although we did occasionally used to visit both the South East and North East of England.

I drive around on motorways loads these days so I'm sure they're not there any more. Having said that, it could be somewhere round Hartlepool I suppose, as I haven't been back there since my childhood. Does anyone know where I mean? They were the power station sort of cooling towers.

Quite a few around South and West Yorkshire. Ferrybridge on the old A1(M) would be my best guess.

HOLA443
HOLA444

Ferrybridge

No I'd checked that one on Google maps but my memory is of the motorway running right alongside the cooling towers. It might not have been a motorway though, could have been a dual carriageway.

HOLA445

M1 Sheffield? Can always remember them from my childhood doing the Derbyshire to West Yorkshire run to see my grandparents.

It's possible that we went down there. There's nothing like that now is there? It's just dawned on me that you don't focus on the scenery quite as much when you're driving so I could easily have driven past it!

HOLA446
Guest eight

No I'd checked that one on Google maps but my memory is of the motorway running right alongside the cooling towers. It might not have been a motorway though, could have been a dual carriageway.

It used to - it was always a bit of road I was scared of actually, very claustrophobic and funnelly. The new road doesn't follow the same route.

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

Yes Tinsley it is - thanks for that. I didn't realise they'd been knocked down so recently though - I must have been using that stretch of M1 less than I thought in the years before it was demolished.

HOLA4410

EDITED: Just seen the post about Tinsley, so mine aren't the towers you're looking for... :)

I'm from Hartlepool but am struggling with any suggestions.

Possibly these ones at the ICI plant in Billingham would've been visible from the A19 a few miles south of the 'Pool and you'd drive past them to get there.

Hartlepool's Steetley magnesium plant had some kit that looks like small cooling-towers, but this was at the top of the beach well into the town and you'd not see them from any local dual-carriageway.

Mind you could've came into Hartlepool via Port Clarence and Seal Sands - there's loads of them there - but it's a single carriageway A Road. You would've got right up close to the ICI ones going that way.

Sorry can't be much help, but maybe someone a bit older than me (47) might remember more.

XYY

HOLA4411

EDITED: Just seen the post about Tinsley, so mine aren't the towers you're looking for... :)

I'm from Hartlepool but am struggling with any suggestions.

Possibly these ones at the ICI plant in Billingham would've been visible from the A19 a few miles south of the 'Pool and you'd drive past them to get there.

Hartlepool's Steetley magnesium plant had some kit that looks like small cooling-towers, but this was at the top of the beach well into the town and you'd not see them from any local dual-carriageway.

Mind you could've came into Hartlepool via Port Clarence and Seal Sands - there's loads of them there - but it's a single carriageway A Road. You would've got right up close to the ICI ones going that way.

Sorry can't be much help, but maybe someone a bit older than me (47) might remember more.

XYY

Cheers! I was about 10 when I went over there. It wasn't Hartlepool proper, to be honest, but somewhere very close by.

Archived