House Price Crash Forum

Average House In Uk To Be £80k

Faithman

HOLA441

It should be remembered that the average house in the UK costs about £80 k. The recent price rises have been almost solely due to planning restrictions set against a backdrop of immigration.

This forum needs to realise that one third of the working population and the future of the country has not been priced out but is simply being prevented from building houses.

Thus the great shortage of housing.

This forum needs to adapt to a working group to combat this false perception that houses are expensive.

Land is a few thousand pounds

Building about £75k

Get on and build your houses!!

HOLA442

I'mn afraid that's nonsense. Cheap greenbelt land that will never, ever get planning permission can be had for as little as £10,000. Land that you can actually build on is very pricey indeed, much like houses currently. If you don't believe me, look at www.rightmove.co.uk and search for land on their site. But yes, the construction is bloody expensive too.

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

It should be remembered that the average house in the UK costs about £80 k. The recent price rises have been almost solely due to planning restrictions set against a backdrop of immigration.

This forum needs to realise that one third of the working population and the future of the country has not been priced out but is simply being prevented from building houses.

Thus the great shortage of housing.

This forum needs to adapt to a working group to combat this false perception that houses are expensive.

Land is a few thousand pounds

Building about £75k

Get on and build your houses!!

The building costs perhaps for an average house are around £80k, but they have to be built somehwere, i.e not floating in mid air.

When you buy a house, what you are actually paying for is mostly the land it sits on, and to a lesser extent the structure sitting upon it.

I do not accept that in the last 5 years there has been such an explosion of immigration that has caused a spike in land prices. It is entirely down to readily available credit due to low borrowing rates. I fail to see the justification for high prices due to shortage.

HOLA446
Guest STR2004

.... Land is a few thousand pounds .....etc etc

I've yet to see a plot of land locally (Bournemouth area) for less than a £100K. That's slightly more than a few thousand pounds in my book.

HOLA447

A colleague of mine gave his son half of his garden to build a house. Bog standard 3 bed design costing £85k to build. The land was valued at £100k simply because a) there is so little available to buy in indiviual plots and B) it had planning permission. Green belt land should fetch about £5k an acre or less because it cannot be built on. Many have tried...and failed. Unless you are a traveller of course :)

HOLA448
HOLA449

I've yet to see a plot of land locally (Bournemouth area) for less than a £100K. That's slightly more than a few thousand pounds in my book.

Land only gets £100,000 if you can then build on it a property that is worth enough more then that to include build costs...

in about 1995 my girlfriend of the time father was a builder of housing association houses.

due to the bulk they bought materials in the material cost of a house before electrics, plumbing and windows was about £2000..

That was for a two bed terrace.

add on the cost of the others and what...? outside that was £10,000 and thats with double glazed upvc..

So you need labour too...? okay.. well.. watch the speed they can throw those bad boys up..

that houses are expensive on a single build, after paying for design etc is innevitable.

it will be the first time the build has been attempted, gas, water, electricity has to be countered for.. and can't be spread amongst many new houses as a new estate would.

The build work isn't geared and streamlined like the production line new estates are..

But if the plan is there, the build streamlined etc.. I would be suprised if today a £280,000 executive flat cost more then £40,000 to build.

and the phrase "built to exacting government standards" actually means

"We spent time working our how to build this property to the minimum or lowest standards where it would be legal to sell it.."

Take a look at a modern build and I challenge you to find evidence of pushing ahead to meet the highest standards..

shame that those prepared to pay today's prices didn't have the guts to stand up and say

"I am paying £180,000 for this small flat.. I want the walls not to leak damp, the outside metal not to leave rust streaks down my property and also... Why can I hear spoken conversation word for word from the flat below...."

Stupid enough to pay todays prices is one thing.. to spend that sort of money on junk is uber dumb

Edited by apom

HOLA4410

The price of building plots reflects th underline value of the housing market - the cost of build.

Hence if the end result would cost £150,000 the land will cost £50,000.

End result £200,000 land costs £100,000 (33% increase in house price, 100% increase in land price)

End result £250,000 land cost £150,000 (20% increase in house, 50% increase in land)

Land prices are far more volatile than house prices. So you may well get a bargain just wait to house prices are sensible before beginning.