House Price Crash Forum

Tenant With '10 Mortgages' Hands Back Keys To Council Flat

HOLA441

Currently ALMO, although I may be returning to the council depending on the results of a vote in a year or so.

Joining the ALMO was supposedly conducive to getting government cash for the Decent Homes program.

What a load of faffling about.

KNH here..

Had a visit from local neighbourhood housing officer this morning who also carried out a block inspection at the same time.

Think I met my ex private landlord once, when he tried to bodge up my heating between work shifts and failing. So professional!

Housing should not be left to one man band private landlords!

Edited by John Steed

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

Currently ALMO, although I may be returning to the council depending on the results of a vote in a year or so.

Joining the ALMO was supposedly conducive to getting government cash for the Decent Homes program.

Chances are that you won't be returning to the council unless you can organise yourselves, print leaflets, write letters and even use regional TV.

One of the things we were up against was that tenants thought they had no chance of winning and so weren't going to bother voting. Apparently the council staff and leadership were just dumbfounded when the result came though!!

Oh yes, the decent homes standard was reached last year. Just over a year earlier we being told that it couldn't be reached unless we transfered to a housing association!

HOLA443

Government money was substantially reduced a few years ago, in fact by so much that most HA's need to find income from other areas some tried Community Income Projects like Community Employment Agencies (they seemed to work for a bit and brought income in until the economic situation went bad and high unemployment made such schemes unworkable). I know that because I was working for a RSL (which is basically a HA these days!)

The real successes for the HA's in this area (Hertfordshire) seems to be in commissioning new build projects although most seem to be shared ownership schemes, considering both the amount of rent and mortgage you need pay in this area you need to have a pretty good job. I have a friend who is a Police Officer who has a partner who works full time and they said they would struggle if they had a shared ownership place, so just goes to show.

HOLA444

KNH here..

Had a visit from local neighbourhood housing officer this morning who also carried out a block inspection at the same time.

Think I met my ex private landlord once, when he tried to bodge up my heating between work shifts and failing. So professional!

Housing should not be left to one man band private landlords!

To be honest I think if a private individual owns over a set number of housing for renting then they should have to conform with the Housing Act (perhaps even more stringent measures enforced), I'm hearing too many tales at the moment of private tenants who are suffering at the hands of people who are inheriting property portfolios who haven't got a clue on things like LL's property insurance, maintenance or obligations, housing shouldn't be treated as a cash cow, its needs rolling investment.

HOLA445

I really don't know what leiceresibley is on or what he has to gain?

Its all he ever goes on about. Bit weird as its seems it blatant stirring up to get people to drum up support, maybe his misguided belief is HA housing stock is something to be privatised? (well despite the EU ruling the government subsidy has virtually gone so HA housing is effectively private), maybe he is hoping that he can grab a bargain or maybe he is a wannabe Burberry clone of the Maidstone variety?

HOLA446

Rents are not collectable without state intervention.

Tell that to van Hoogstraten and Rachman before him. Throughout history rents have always been collectable without the state. Of course without the law to call on to intervene, tenants know they will have to pay up or take a beating. Violence will be the final recourse one way or other; most prefer the milder state eviction version, as it usually avoids the stay in hospital...

HOLA447

link

Good old Blighty; where even a complete maggot can become a (debt) millionaire.

Bet you there are thousands like this one, all over the shop.

I am always left wondering why there hasn't been a stronger push to deal with mortgage fraud. Isn't it in the interest of banks to crack down on people becoming ridiculously leveraged. If so, then making false declarations to secure a mortgage is fraud.

What am I missing?