House Price Crash Forum
cashinmattress

Tenant With '10 Mortgages' Hands Back Keys To Council Flat

link

A council tenant in north London has been forced to hand back the keys to her flat after it was discovered she was living elsewhere and had taken out 10 mortgages worth more than £1 million.

Fraud officers at Barnet Homes - which manages around 15,000 homes in North London - discovered that the tenant was allowing other family members to occupy her three-bed maisonette at the Dollis Valley Estate.

By law, tenants must use their council property as their principal home.

Barnet Homes discovered the fraud after a new credit check facility revealed that the tenant had a number of mortgages, loans and mobile phone contracts at an address in Luton, but that the only credit history at the Dollis Valley address related to other members of her family.

Once presented with the evidence, the tenant agreed to hand back the property to Barnet Homes.

The property is one of 11 council homes that have so far been recovered since the launch of a new fraud campaign by Barnet Homes and Barnet Council’s Corporate Anti Fraud team earlier this year.

That included the introduction of tenancy fraud officers to root out illegal subletting of homes, non-occupation of properties, attempts to abuse the succession rules for passing on a council tenancy, and housing benefit fraud. The fraud officers are currently working on dozens more cases.

Barnet Homes Chief Executive, Tracey Lees, said: “Everyone knows that there is enormous pressure on council housing, in Barnet as elsewhere. We’re pleased that we’ve uncovered so many cases of fraud over the past few months which we are now investigating with the support of the council

“We will do all we can to stamp out tenancy fraud and will take legal action to regain possession of homes that aren’t being occupied by genuine tenants.

“We’re also grateful for the ongoing support of other tenants for our fraud initiative. It can sometimes be difficult to prove that tenants aren’t living in their council home, and we’re grateful for any information that will help us to catch people who try to abuse the system.”

Councillor Richard Cornelius, Leader of Barnet Council, added: “These cases highlight the importance of council investigators working closely with Barnet Homes to uncover tenancy fraud.

“Barnet Council’s CAFT officers will continue to do a good job in exposing those who exploit the system and making sure social housing remains available to those in genuine need.”

Good old Blighty; where even a complete maggot can become a (debt) millionaire.

Bet you there are thousands like this one, all over the shop.

Council housing fraud is common. This is just the tip of the iceberg. I have been perihperally involved in a few cases and a council housing officer told me they could find as many as they had staff to deal with. In one I was involved in the tenant was prosecuted for fraud as well as losing their tenancy. In another one family had managed to pass themselves off as two different families and acquire two tenancies. They were trying to buy both houses under right to buy at the same time.

Very common in east London. My missus' ex-workplace was a social enterprise and they had an obligation to hire locals. Virtually all of of the locals had council flats which had been subletted while they moved back into mum & dad's council flat. I suspect it is so endemic that many actually believe it is their right.

Needless to say the waiting list for local council homes was huge. I believe one house attracted 1000 applicants.

Edited by StainlessSteelCat

Yes, once again the only solution is to sell off all council housing to the highest bidder.

When council give away huge benefits such as council houses at subsidised prices, the result is systemic fraud. There is no justification at all for this to continue any longer. We would also save a fortune on not paying for fraud teams to investigate this.

Just sell them all off to the highest bidder.

Yes, once again the only solution is to sell off all council housing to the highest bidder.

When council give away huge benefits such as council houses at subsidised prices, the result is systemic fraud. There is no justification at all for this to continue any longer. We would also save a fortune on not paying for fraud teams to investigate this.

Just sell them all off to the highest bidder.

pfft.

That'll be really fair while one section of soceity can print money out of thin ******ing air, won't it?

pfft.

That'll be really fair while one section of soceity can print money out of thin ******ing air, won't it?

Is that a justification for continuing with a system of rampant fraud?

What other unrelated things does it justify?

Is that a justification for continuing with a system of rampant fraud?

What other unrelated things does it justify?

Fraud?

how about the idea that the world is divided up into little blocks called "land"?

If you want to remove fraud feel free to start with that.

Promblem: Big queues for social housing due to extortionat private rental costs

Solution: Sell off at the social housing and force people to rent privately.

...are you high?

...no no.. really... are you high? Seriously?

...are you high?

It is this perversion of the housing market that is raising costs for others. If this housing is allocated by the market, prices will be higher in many cases. That will cause those renting the housing to demand less. Which means more left for those excluded from the council market at the present time, and they will get lower prices as a result.

The overall allocation of housing will be far more efficient, as those with more housing than they need or can afford from the council, have no incentive to pare back as someone else is paying the cost.

That is to say nothing of the huge savings to be made from administering this wreck of a system.

...are you high?

And your alternative is?

Council housing fraud is common. This is just the tip of the iceberg. I have been perihperally involved in a few cases and a council housing officer told me they could find as many as they had staff to deal with. In one I was involved in the tenant was prosecuted for fraud as well as losing their tenancy. In another one family had managed to pass themselves off as two different families and acquire two tenancies. They were trying to buy both houses under right to buy at the same time.

It is clear that council housing should be reviewed every 5 years and not seen as a cheap deal for life.

<br />It is this perversion of the housing market that is raising costs for others. If this housing is allocated by the market, prices will be higher in many cases. That will cause those renting the housing to demand less. Which means more left for those excluded from the council market at the present time, and they will get lower prices as a result. <br /><br />The overall allocation of housing will be far more efficient, as those with more housing than they need or can afford from the council, have no incentive to pare back as  someone else is paying the cost.<br /><br />That is to say nothing of the huge savings to be made from administering this wreck of a system.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

We have this every time!

Do you regard the access to basic affordable shelter as much as a human right as access to basic healthcare? ie, the NHS? If so, why not sell off the NHS and make everyone go private for their healthcare as you are proposing for their shelter?

I'm not saying council housing allocation or monitoring is perfect, it's not, but let's not throw the baby out with the bath water, hey?

Once again idiots on HPC crying out for so called "market solutions" which will result in higher rip off rentals to pay someone else's pension and highly insecure tenancies all in the landlords favour! :angry:

The future is social, non profit housing and to drive market rents to social rent levels. Why should everyone be forced to buy an overpriced shit hole to get any kind of security in this rotten country?

Also the answer seems to be that social landlords track down the fraudsters and multi letters, which has grown as part of our great "multicultural experiment." By using credit check agencies they finally seem to be doing this.

John Steed currently secure in his £59 pw council flat (if nobody minds) also I can now paint the walls something other than BTL magnolia and hang pictures on the fecking wall!!!

Edited by John Steed

<br /><br /><br />

We have this every time!

Do you regard the access to basic affordable shelter as much as a human right as access to basic healthcare? ie, the NHS? If so, why not sell off the NHS and make everyone go private for their healthcare as you are proposing for their shelter?

I'm not saying council housing allocation or monitoring is perfect, it's not, but let's not throw the baby out with the bath water, hey?

shelter is a basic human right, receiving it is only giving back what is stolen in the first place (the ability to provide it) generally at the expense of those who havent actually stolen it in the first place (which causes the bitterness i suppose), health & the NHS on the other hand is clearly not a basic human right, it is a blatant subsidy (whether that subsidy is good or bad is a moot point) the two are completely different

Edited by Tamara De Lempicka

Once again idiots on HPC crying out for so called "market solutions" which will result in higher rip off rentals to pay someone else's pension and highly insecure tenancies all in the landlords favour! :angry:

The future is social, non profit housing and to drive market rents to social rent levels. Why should everyone be forced to buy an overpriced shit hole to get any kind of security in this rotten country?

Also the answer seems to be that social landlords track down the fraudsters and multi letters, which has grown as part of our great "multicultural experiment." By using credit check agencies they finally seem to be doing this.

John Steed currently secure in his £59 pw council flat (if nobody minds) also I can now paint the walls something other than BTL magnolia and hang pictures on the fecking wall!!!

The future is to throw thieving scum like this in jail for five to ten years for fraud. Did they go to prison?

It is clear that council housing should be reviewed every 5 years and not seen as a cheap deal for life.

One other big advantage of selling off council housing is that many with tenancy are not in need at all, and yet receive massive subsidies. Frank Dobson is the arch example of this, a rich man paying a pittance for an expensive place.

Those who are in need will still get state assistance. Those not in need won't, reducing the burden on others who get to pay for this fraud and free stuff.

It is always nice to get a subsidy, it doesn't make it right though.

Allowing the market to work will reduce rentals, a good thing. The amount of tax needed to pay for this will reduce to zero. No bad thing, should create more incentive to work.

By the way, a progressive land value tax is something I call for too, which stops landlords buying up places for rental and pricing people out.

One other big advantage of selling off council housing is that many with tenancy are not in need at all, and yet receive massive subsidies. Frank Dobson is the arch example of this, a rich man paying a pittance for an expensive place.

Those who are in need will still get state assistance. Those not in need won't, reducing the burden on others who get to pay for this fraud and free stuff.

No one should be paying anything simply because they are located somewhere.

Allowing the market to work will reduce rentals, a good thing. The amount of tax needed to pay for this will reduce to zero. No bad thing, should create more incentive to work.

By the way, a progressive land value tax is something I call for too, which stops landlords buying up places for rental and pricing people out.

All rent is tax.

No chance.

Now councils such as Birmingham have been given AAA ratings by the likes of Moodys it will go completely the opposite way.

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=170416

There is going to be some serious money to be made by any unscrupulous people high up at councils and their families/friends/business associates. Just look at what the bankers have done with triple A£A£A£'s.

<br /><br /><br />

We have this every time!

BB,

There is case after case of fraud and unfairness when it comes to social and council housing. I merely like to point out the idiocy if the system.

I have previously rejected the idea if housing as a human right. If someone does not contribute by way of work, then if they get a free house from the state, someone else must have been enslaved to build that house.

The reason so many people have to pat so much for housing is because they are forced to pay so much through their taxes for everyone who gets free stuff, that they cannot afford the supply that is left.

There is HB for the people that need it. I think you will find no baby in that bathwater.

I doubt its subsidised all that much. Where are the facts and figures on this. Are you saying you are paying for my housing?

Social housing is the way forwards, and far better than subsidising landlords with housing benefit, it would be better to subsidise tenants via social housing I doubt there is much subsidy as the land values aren't increased by potential rental yields (which have been bid up by housing benefit).

I believe there is a council (Newham) that is attempting to buy out private landlords?

Even HK is having to subsidise housing, even if its to stop an uprising by the general population.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-15269270

We are far too soft in this country, We should demand more secure, more affordable quality housing.

No chance.

Now councils such as Birmingham have been given AAA ratings by the likes of Moodys it will go completely the opposite way.

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=170416

There is going to be some serious money to be made by any unscrupulous people high up at councils and their families/friends/business associates. Just look at what the bankers have done with triple A£A£A£'s.

Redhat,

What does this credit rating have to do with making wealthy people in council houses being made to pay for their own housing rather than getting the taxpayer to subsidise them?