House Price Crash Forum

Mobile Phone Question From A Phone Dunce

Darkman

HOLA441

What I know about mobile phones can be summarized on a postage stamp :huh:

All I want to know is, can I swap my sim card around in different phones and expect it to work?

I have a Vodaphone mobile provided by my employer. The phone itself is basic to say the least. Can I buy a better phone and just put the sim card inside it?

HOLA442

All I want to know is, can I swap my sim card around in different phones and expect it to work?

I have a Vodaphone mobile provided by my employer. The phone itself is basic to say the least. Can I buy a better phone and just put the sim card inside it?

Yes, as long as the new phone is "Sim Free", ie not locked to only work on one network as many phones supplied by the network operators are.

HOLA443

You would either need to get access to a phone locked on Vodafone, or one that's unlocked... AFAIK, most phones can be unlocked, some are easier than others. Some just need a code you can find off the net, others need to be hacked in a phone shop..

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

Thanks for the advice.

One site I checked offered to provide an unlock code for a Sony Ericsson phone I have. It was $69. Seems a bit steep for a crummy little phone like that, but oh well.

That is too much to pay.

For a lot of phones you can download the software for free or very little. There's a nice man at the Staines market who did mine for £10.

HOLA449

Make sure you copy your contacts onto the SIM before you move it over. I spent nearly a whole day trying to read some contacts into an HTC Desire before realising that they weren`t actually on there.

Can you give a clue how to do this? I was swapping SIMs between my home and work phone to try to get one working (long story, not interesting) and was surprised to see that each (unlocked) phone was coming up with the same number as with the previous SIM, when I thought all the phone info sat on the SIM (ok, I know none of the CDs, photos do). So what is actually on the SIM - just the basic network contact details? - and how do you put more stuff on there?

I accept that this reveals to the world my ignorance of mobile phones which stems from an active dislike of gadgets in general.

Archived