House Price Crash Forum

Ecrb Checks + Registration For Landlords

RichB

HOLA441

So, this came up on a thread that went OT, and it was suggested the idea be posted back here in a seperate thread.

Given that landlords and letting agents tend to keep keys for property that kids, vulnerable people, and occasionally young attractive folk live in, and that anyone who comes within sniffing distance of an under18 or vulnerable person in a work capacity is now required to have a criminal records check, should this be extended to those working in lettings agencies and landlords themselves?

Additionally should there be a licensing arrangement, and a register to sign - either at local government or central level? This would allow for much better policing of the area - things like gas safety certificates could be policed far better, possibly saving lives every year. Infractions could be punished by loss of points - like a driving license, with the final sanction being that the landlord/agent be banned from lettings for fixed periods.

This could be beneficial on many levels, not least of which would be the removal of the most undesirable landlords, improved tax collections and a reduced desirability for the btl sector, all contributing to a damping effect on the worst excesses of btl on the market.

What do you guys think? Any better ideas out there for improvement? Scotland already has something along these lines: https://www.landlordregistrationscotland.gov.uk/Pages/Process.aspx?Command=ShowHomePage

If there is support on here for the idea, we could take it to the online suggestions box, or perhaps contact some mps. Presumably the few without housing portfolios to start with... :)

Genuinely interested to read what you think.

HOLA442
HOLA443

Had never thought of it before the suggestion on that thread but it should have been done a long time ago.

While it may not have kept out the Chris Jeffries of the world (no record?), it would weed a lot of scum and scam artists.

This is a person with keys to your residence after all.

HOLA444

Very good point, as you say these people have unrestricted access to peoples homes. I for one have had very odd LLs in the past but didn't feel threatened, being a bloke, but remember a young lass who got regular, irregular visits from the LL. The old perv always had something to fix or plumbing to check in her flat...:unsure:

Not going to happen. If it turns out this Latest LL is guilty of murdering that Bristol lass can you really see the media getting in the same knid of frenzy they do when it's a nurse or child minder?

There's no vested intrest here, and our's don't count.

HOLA445

Stunned at the enthusiasm for meddlesome state measures.

Personally I would like to see the State make life difficult for landlords by rendering their business economically

barely viable via encouraging a democratically accountable rental sector.

I have total contempt for petty annoying tinkering and intrusion into our lives.

HOLA446

Stunned at the enthusiasm for meddlesome state measures.

Personally I would like to see the State make life difficult for landlords by rendering their business economically

barely viable via encouraging a democratically accountable rental sector.

I have total contempt for petty annoying tinkering and intrusion into our lives.

While I agree entirely with your sentiment, this is the system we live in. And i'll be honest my attitude is more along the line exactly to make being a LL as difficult as possible.

There is a need for a professionally run and regulated rental sector but it should not be seen as an alternative to a pension or an easy living.

HOLA447
HOLA448

While I agree entirely with your sentiment, this is the system we live in. And i'll be honest my attitude is more along the line exactly to make being a LL as difficult as possible.

There is a need for a professionally run and regulated rental sector but it should not be seen as an alternative to a pension or an easy living.

To me that comes across as an insistence that landlords be higher up the perceived social scale, with degrees and institute

membership blah blah, and excluding anyone outside the charmed circle.

Their is a need for a private for-profit rented sector; for people wanting temporary or weekday accomodation for work or whatever.

I would like to see the arrangements as easy and casual as possible, done on a handshake.

People need and deserve much greater rights where their long term home is concerned, but those will only really arise from access to member co-operative housing or council housing for the majority. Big sweeping changes rather than a petty, spitefull administration.

HOLA449

To me that comes across as an insistence that landlords be higher up the perceived social scale, with degrees and institute

membership blah blah, and excluding anyone outside the charmed circle.

Their is a need for a private for-profit rented sector; for people wanting temporary or weekday accomodation for work or whatever.

I would like to see the arrangements as easy and casual as possible, done on a handshake.

People need and deserve much greater rights where their long term home is concerned, but those will only really arise from access to member co-operative housing or council housing for the majority. Big sweeping changes rather than a petty, spitefull administration.

Not intended to be exclusive, just professional. It should not be an easy option for anyone to let a house, for instance if it will not sell, it puts the tenant in an insecure situation.

A professional letting sector, that excluded the single/couple of property owner brigade is more likely to offer long tem stability and better service. Less likely to be financially exposed.

I currently have a great LL but have had some poor ones and there is a direct correlation. The present one is a company previously they been solo investors or accidental landlords.

Edited by GBdamo

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Broadly speaking Selling Up, I agree. However while they are in place for some elements of society, surely it makes sense to expand them particularly in this sector?

The more I think about it the more I am concerned that they are not already in place.

HOLA4412