House Price Crash Forum

Many Clever People Don't Understand Bubble Theory

frugalista

HOLA441
I'll try.

My opinion is that the main limitation of classical evolutionary psychology lay in the existence and our expectation of natural justice. Not only is the first human reaction to adversity or perceived injustice a cry of 'it's not fair' but it is also a rare individual that will hurt somebody else without appealing to some injustice in the background ('but he started it' etc) in an attempt to justify their action. In other words, not only do people have an idea of what is 'right' but there is also an appeal to a standard that is outside ourselves.

Compelling though they are, I do not entirely accept crude expressions of a Darwinian evoluionary psychology in their entirety because they often reflect justifications for a particular social agenda and expectations. The point made above about the appeal to natural justice is one of the complications that have not been dealt with by the theories as far as I know.

A second point is related to the above. Evolutionary psychology, alongside it's cousin, psychotherapy provides people with a 'get-out-clause' by enabling people to excuse their behaviour by saying it is their evolutionary background that made their behaviour inevitable. In a way, this goes back to the appeal to natural justice.

If a man seeks to justify his serial adultery or womanising by appealing to evolution, for instance (very common) does this mean that his behaviour is moral? Does this mean he is not responsible for his actions?

Much evolutionary theory has percolated through to mainstream culture and is now used to justify all sorts of things. The laziest thinking within the field has been adopted across a broad spectrum of society and has created a great tension between our aspirations towards honesty, faithfulness and trust within both relationships and society and the consequences of our actual behaviour in the real world.

There is one ingredient that I feel needs to be emphised in the whole debate and that is the role of the will. To be individuals that take responsibility for our lives and decisions we need to be aware that we can make decisions that are within our control. Although our attitudes and emotions are inevitably affected by our gender, age and circumstances, the will is the agent that enables freedom through making the decisions that make us human. It also means that responsibility for our actions lies with us.

Having said all that, evolutionary psychology is a fascinating subject and it may be the canvas on which we paint. But the painting remains ours.

[stage direction - speaking to the audience] SH : "See 'im, that Starcrossed? I used to chat on the same forum as 'im: House Price Crash it was called. 'E said I'd given 'im a fresh perspective. Yes 'e did. Oh you can laugh. Said 'ed "never thought in those terms before...""

[stage direction - SH stamps foot in hurt manner and exits as audience giggles at him]

Edited by Sledgehead

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

To Oracle

Even if you are a contrarian by conviction it is often beneficial to go with the flow

of others. Game theory teaches us that real life situations are often optimally

solved by “mixed strategy” solutions. Sometimes you are a contrarian, sometimes

you are a herd member (better still, the herd leader, as Bill Gates).

absolutely right.The ability to "morph" between various groups at appropriate times is a very good survival strategy to learn.

this is why I feel sorry for hot-housed kids with pushy parents.Kids themselves are actually very adaptable to new surroundings,it's only the influence of the parents which makes them focus on one dimension in their personality(usually academic),something which doesn't usually materialise until later life.

...of course in this state the kids miss out on other forms of interaction and activity.

....everything in moderation!!...gotta be the best recipe for a happy life!

HOLA443
[stage direction - speaking to the audience] SH : "See 'im, that Starcrossed? I used to chat on the same forum as 'im: House Price Crash it was called. 'E said I'd given 'im a fresh perspective. Yes 'e did. Oh you can laugh. Said 'ed "never thought in those terms before...""

[stage direction - SH stamps foot in hurt manner and exits as audience giggles at him]

Don't be too hard on yourself, Sledge :P

HOLA444
HOLA445
That's the crudest academic quote I've ever read. Where does this Enbough work? Surely not one of our fine red brick universities. Must be one of the ex-polytechnics. ;)

Not as fast as you young folk on the keyboard.

And for your info Bham Uni 1969 - Metallurgy & 1972-1975 Phd Metallurgy

Not no dumb polytechnic ??

Red brick all the way

Edited by E Powell