House Price Crash Forum

New Ice Age

PricedOutNative

HOLA441

I thought I'd google news with the words "New Ice Age" and I was surprised there were not more news items on this topic.

With last year being cold, this winter looking like it might go the same way and sun spots cycles being broken I thought there might be more discussion in the mass media about the possibility that a trend is developing.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

I thought I'd google news with the words "New Ice Age" and I was surprised there were not more news items on this topic.

With last year being cold, this winter looking like it might go the same way and sun spots cycles being broken I thought there might be more discussion in the mass media about the possibility that a trend is developing.

According to TV News:

If it's too hot - it's global warming.

If it's too cold - it's extreme weather caused by global warming.

HOLA445
HOLA446

It may be cold in your little part of England, after all it is winter; but overall, this looks like it is going to be the hottest or second hottest year ever.

HOLA447

It may be cold in your little part of England, after all it is winter; but overall, this looks like it is going to be the hottest or second hottest year ever.

Of course this observation is neither here nor there, but it's been rather cold in Australia this year too.

HOLA448

It is unusually cold and snowy over most of Northern Europe not just the UK

The problem with most of the man made global warming scenarios is that they treat the climate as an earth based closed system when in fact most of the heat that drives the weather comes from outside the planet. There is a fair bit of evidence to link solar output and sun spot cycles to climate variation (particularly in the Maunder Minimum). Interestingly, since 2000 we seem to be seeing a decline in the number of sun spots both during the minimum and maximum phases of the solar cycle which just happens to be coinciding with a run of hard winters.

You can track the sunspot cycle here

http://www.spaceweather.com/

As you can see the current cycle has had twice the number of spotless days as normal. Activity has picked up this year but it looks as though the solar max in 2012 will be below that recorded at the peak of the last cycle and the trend is declining

http://news.sciencemag.org/sciencenow/2010/09/say-goodbye-to-sunspots.html?rss=1&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

BTW the current extended cold spell in the UK has triggered record low temperatures and snow earlier in the winter than I can recall in my lifetime and I am old enough to remember the extreme winter of 1962-63 which saw sea ice forming around parts of the UK in the January and Frebruary of 1963.

HOLA449
HOLA4410

I will add my comment from the prediction of mild winters thread. Seems the BBC have decided to go down the line of this is all global warming fault again. Either that or Bill Turbull is a secret expert on the subject :D

Anyone who has just watched BBC breakfast will understand what I am talking about.

Had some weather 'expert' on. Saying that 'Climate change would indicate warmer winters for the UK'.

However she also said there were some indications/data that it may get a colder for a few years before warming up again. ( I assume she is talking about the sun spot data - but she didn't bother to mention that this same data showed after this return to warming for a few years the cold trend would resume)

Bill Turnbull then turns around and says 'So this could all be down to warming ?'

Expert - 'Absolutely'.

:o:o:o:o

Where the ****** did he pull that one out of ?!!:lol:

I am sorry - but anyone who says the BBC are not biased when it comes to this subject is 100% delusional. Not in a funny way either. More in a you should really go and see a head Doctor about your issues way.

This brainwashing really is shameful. Whether global warming is happening or not I do not care. Talk about all possibilities in the media and let people make up their own minds. Get people on who are going to perhaps mention the opposite future that is also perfectly likely to happen in the near future - another ice age - be it a minor one or a major one.

It is brainwashing. Global warming is happening, end of story, we have decided. Done and dusted. What did you say ? Oh that 4 ft of snow outside your front door ? Ah yes - that is all down to warming too.

****** sake it really is taking the piss.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Sian and BIll's weather expert on bbc breakfast said it's cos the sea is colder due to the ice melting and therefore as a result of global warming.

As soon as all the ice has stopped melting it'll be nice again.

You being serious ?

What time was that on ? I saw them talkng to her at about quarter to 8. They have her again later just to re-emphasise the warming bit ?

HOLA4413

Sian and BIll's weather expert on bbc breakfast said it's cos the sea is colder due to the ice melting and therefore as a result of global warming.

As soon as all the ice has stopped melting it'll be nice again.

LMAO that is the funniest grasp at straws that I have come across yet

HOLA4414

LMAO that is the funniest grasp at straws that I have come across yet

I am hoping Sarah is going to come on and tell us she is making it up. They can't really have said that ?! :blink:

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417

capture168.jpg?w=636&h=441

Alice springs is in its tenth coldest year since 1881. Two of the top ten have been in the last decade.

The coldest temperature on the planet was only recorded in 1983.

2006 is supposed to be the hottest year on record, followed by 1998 and 1934.

December 2009 was the coldest since 1981 and the 3rd coldest ever recorded in scotland, something likely to be broken this year.

There is no trend in there, at least not one that supports man made glowball warming anyway. Let us leave the cherry picking of data to support an agenda to the likes of the BBC.

HOLA4418

And here she is - Dr Liz Bentley - of the UK Weather Club.

http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereveningnews/life_and_style/s/1322097_nations_first_weatherwatching_experiment

"a former manager of the BBC Weather Centre, and now head of communications at the Royal Meteorological Society."

These days, we don’t just look to the weathermen and women to tell us when to carry a brolly. These are the days of climate change.

“There’s more and more evidence that temperature rises not just in the UK but globally,” says Bentley. “I know when we get to the end of 2010 and do a review of the weather, we’ve broken so many records for the highest temperature annually and seasonally.

“We’ll look back at this year as being another exceptionally extreme year that provides us with evidence to show climate change is real and happening.

Here is the club itself.

http://www.theweatherclub.org.uk/

Interesting bits on this site. :rolleyes:

Global Warming could mean colder winters

Ah - when was that published ? Oh yes - Nov 24th a a week ago. How convenient. Just at the exact point where they would have known a seriously cold spell was on its way to the UK.

"Recent severe winters like last year's or the one of 2005-06 do not conflict with the global warming picture, but rather supplement it."

Another great example of a wonderful balanced story on the BBC news regarding 'climate change'.

Fluffy - any opinion on this one ?

HOLA4419

yeah it was then.

I've not quoted her directly - but it's what she was saying...

I wonder if that is the same time I saw it ? Anyway having read a bit about her it is not exactly surprising...

HOLA4420

The more figures that I look at the more I see Cold records being set in recent times, since industrialisation.

LOWEST EVER UK TEMPERATURES

Scotland: -27.2 degrees Celsius (Braemar, Aberdeenshire 1895 & 1982 and Altnaharra, Highlands 1995)

England: -26.1 (Newport, Shropshire 1982)

Wales: -23.3 (Rhayader, Powys 1940)

Northern Ireland: -17.5 (Magherally, Co Down 1979)

In fact, many cold events have been in the last decade. There was a warming period but it has passed for now, anyone finding ways to explain the cooling away as being caused by warming is moronic. The climate is cyclical, always was and will be.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422

It is unusually cold and snowy over most of Northern Europe not just the UK

The problem with most of the man made global warming scenarios is that they treat the climate as an earth based closed system when in fact most of the heat that drives the weather comes from outside the planet. There is a fair bit of evidence to link solar output and sun spot cycles to climate variation (particularly in the Maunder Minimum). Interestingly, since 2000 we seem to be seeing a decline in the number of sun spots both during the minimum and maximum phases of the solar cycle which just happens to be coinciding with a run of hard winters.

You can track the sunspot cycle here

http://www.spaceweather.com/

As you can see the current cycle has had twice the number of spotless days as normal. Activity has picked up this year but it looks as though the solar max in 2012 will be below that recorded at the peak of the last cycle and the trend is declining

http://news.sciencemag.org/sciencenow/2010/09/say-goodbye-to-sunspots.html?rss=1&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

BTW the current extended cold spell in the UK has triggered record low temperatures and snow earlier in the winter than I can recall in my lifetime and I am old enough to remember the extreme winter of 1962-63 which saw sea ice forming around parts of the UK in the January and Frebruary of 1963.

Presented purely for people to make of it what they will.

Temp_vs_TSI_2009.gif

Source

HOLA4423

Presented purely for people to make of it what they will.

Temp_vs_TSI_2009.gif

Source

Tracking satellite data for the tropical troposphere, it showed March temperatures plunging to one of their lowest points in 30 years.

ice-cover around the Bering Strait and Alaska that month was at its highest level ever recorded. (At the same time Antarctic sea ice-cover was also at its highest-ever level, 30 per cent above normal).

Cooler_Year_on_a_Cooling_Planet1.jpg

Cooler_Year_on_a_Cooling_Planet2.jpg

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Tracking satellite data for the tropical troposphere, it showed March temperatures plunging to one of their lowest points in 30 years.

Outdated information, based on a flawed analysis that didn't correct for satellite orbital variations. Allowing for that the troposphere temperatures by satellite match those by weather balloon, and are rising.

Satellite

Satellite_Temperature.gif

Source

Weather Balloon collated here here together with links to sources.

ice-cover around the Bering Strait and Alaska that month was at its highest level ever recorded. (At the same time Antarctic sea ice-cover was also at its highest-ever level, 30 per cent above normal).

Are you sure about that. March Sea Ice Maximum in blue. Looks like it's trending down to me.

Arctic_factors2.jpg

Source

Cooler_Year_on_a_Cooling_Planet1.jpg

Cooler_Year_on_a_Cooling_Planet2.jpg

These are the PDO temperatures rather than the global temperatures so all that seems to be showing is that the PDO cycle doesn't really seem be what is affecting the global temperatures (otherwise we would have expected the global temperature to trend negative in about 2000, whereas it still seems to be going up.

PDO_vs_Temp.gif

Source

By the way, can you post your sources please. For instance it would have been nice to know that your graphs had come from a website set up by someone funded by ExxonMobile, and the John M. Olin Foundation, Inc. - a foundation setup by the chairman of Olin Mathieson Chemical Corporation, and the anti government regulation Lynde and Harry Bradley Foundation, and the Scaife Foundation - whose money comes from oil, mining and banking, and the Samuel Roberts Noble Foundation whose money comes from oil, and the Carthage foundation whose money comes at least partly from Gulf Oil.

Archived