House Price Crash Forum

Are Currys Having Problems?

libitina

HOLA441

I've been watching their website for a couple of weeks or so as I needed a new tumbledryer and still need a new Dyson.

I found somewhere cheaper on the internet than them for my dryer and they weren't interested in a price match.

Looking at their site today (specifically at Dysons) they seem to have drastically cut their stock and virtually every one is reduced.

Are they just having a clear out ready for Xmas stock or is trouble brewing does anyone know?

HOLA442
I've been watching their website for a couple of weeks or so as I needed a new tumbledryer and still need a new Dyson.

I found somewhere cheaper on the internet than them for my dryer and they weren't interested in a price match.

Looking at their site today (specifically at Dysons) they seem to have drastically cut their stock and virtually every one is reduced.

Are they just having a clear out ready for Xmas stock or is trouble brewing does anyone know?

I think Curry's is owned by Dixons, so yes they are having problems.

HOLA443

Dixons may have had problems for a while. It gave a profit warning back in 2003.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/2637755.stm

I'd get that Dyson quick if I were you.

HOLA444

I expect now that everyones MEWed to the eyeballs, they'll not be buying as many 42" plasma tvs will they.......shame :D

Edit: It's the new models too.

(I removed the link as it didn't work.)

Edited by libitina

HOLA445
HOLA446

What is this MEW business I understand its concept of being depted up to the eye balls, but its acronym is making my brain hurt, someone please unacronym it for me.

and I say down with Dixons, or more importantly PCWorld, I will lobby parliment for a national Bank Holiday if we see PCWorld disapear from the highstreet, what great times that will be. No more infuriating adverts, no more of the worst IT sales/help staff known in the history of comuters. no more normal people who think they can buy a computer from a department store and become an overnite expert. :lol:

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
What is this MEW business I understand its concept of being depted up to the eye balls, but its acronym is making my brain hurt, someone please unacronym it for me.

and I say down with Dixons, or more importantly PCWorld, I will lobby parliment for a national Bank Holiday if we see PCWorld disapear from the highstreet, what great times that will be. No more infuriating adverts, no more of the worst IT sales/help staff known in the history of comuters. no more normal people who think they can buy a computer from a department store and become an overnite expert. :lol:

No more OH (other half) going around making sharp intake of breath noises and saying' HOW MUCH?!' very, VERY loudly.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
Problem is that Curry's are always lowering prices.

Sorry, I'll get me coat.

That's their mistake - they should be stamping them down.

My local Dixons had a tatty sign in the window the other week (marker pen on the back of an old ad job) offering to price match Argos. Needless to say, Dixons had no one in but Argos was packed.

I would not weep if Dixons/Curry's/PC World went to wall. They've screwed me over enough times.

HOLA4413

Curry's and Dixons are bloody awful shops, very poor quality staff, and not enough of them.

I have queued for about 10 mins before to pay for something because nobody is on the till, then just left the item on the counter and walked out.

I was also told they will not price match with internet stores, so now I go to Curry's / Dixons look at the item im after then order it off the net for about 20% less.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

Walked past a town centre bed shop today. Not a nationwide chain, but not a small independent either.

Anyways, huge sign in front window "Showroom Clearance". I was a bit shocked as it's only been open a year or so. It could be for new stock but I doubt it.

These bigger ticket items are definitely gonna suffer.

NDL

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
:lol:

dont be suprised if dixons pull something out of the bag. they have survived 2 large downturns before. they are pretty recession savvy.

yup.they already are!

dixons(or to put it correctly DSG group),are expanding like mad in eastern europe and have a bit of a foothold in asia.....the overall figures were down slightly,but that masks the uk picture...which is dire indeed,just being offset a bit by quicker overseas growth.

most of the FTSE companies are doing this........it's fairly basic business studies in action....DIVERSIFICATION!.....same market sector but different location.