House Price Crash Forum

Eas Never Change!

Jessica Rabbit

HOLA441

My landlady has the EAs round today doing valuations for her buildings insurance. I expected maybe a little tiny bit of bearishness, just a smidge. Oh no....

The nonsense is flowing from them like it is 2007 all over again! Apparently our tiny 'dining room' which used to be the back parlour is now a 'snug' :blink: Our landing is now 'versatile office space' and our grotty gravel covered, weed ridden garden is 'low maintenance'!!!

It's a freezing cold victorian mid terrace with a downstairs bathroom, no room to extend and a leaking roof for goodness sake!!!

It might be my hormones but only one has been round so far (2 to go) and I want to commit a homicide already.

Edited as it is supposed to say Berkshire in title! So cross I've lost the use of English!

Edited by Jessica Rabbit

HOLA442

My landlady has the EAs round today doing valuations for her buildings insurance. I expected maybe a little tiny bit of bearishness, just a smidge. Oh no....

The nonsense is flowing from them like it is 2007 all over again! Apparently our tiny 'dining room' which used to be the back parlour is now a 'snug' :blink: Our landing is now 'versatile office space' and our grotty gravel covered, weed ridden garden is 'low maintenance'!!!

It's a freezing cold victorian mid terrace with a downstairs bathroom, no room to extend and a leaking roof for goodness sake!!!

It might be my hormones but only one has been round so far (2 to go) and I want to commit a homicide already.

Edited as it is supposed to say Berkshire in title! So cross I've lost the use of English!

MumsNet is thataway... ->

;-)

Actually, gave me a good laugh, so many thanks for posting.

Edited by NotMyHouse

HOLA443

I think the best "description" I've seen from an EA has to be the dining room being punted as an extra bedroom, that really makes me laugh!!

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

I think the best "description" I've seen from an EA has to be the dining room being punted as an extra bedroom, that really makes me laugh!!

I'm seeing exactly this more frequently round here (Bournemouth area). Often with '3/4 bedroom' description.

HOLA447
HOLA448

EAs can't value for insurance purposes - that's a job for a qualified building suveyor and is based on the reinstaement cost to rebuild the house.

Sorry to say but the fact she is getting 3 EAs round sounds like she is putting it on the market. Be prepared. <_<

Just what i was thinking.

No way would 3 EAs be coming round to give a figure for insurance.

HOLA449

Just what i was thinking.

No way would 3 EAs be coming round to give a figure for insurance.

It's what she did 4 years ago, the last time she needed a valuation for the buildings insurance. 3 agents valued and we didn't hear anything more until now, when it needs doing again. If she's supposed to get a surveyor round for the insurance to be valid then that's her problem. I have my contents insurance so I'm covered.

She did put it on the market in 2005 and 2007 but got offers £100k less than asking so withdrew it from the market after 6 months and only 2 viewings (resulting in 2 realistic offers of £240k and £260k on her £365k eventually reduced to £315k asking). When she was planning to sell those times she told us straight away, before any valuations were done. For that reason I have no reason to be suspicious this time.

HOLA4410