House Price Crash Forum

Should I Get A New Car ?

right_freds_dead

HOLA441

ive been mincing about it an astra burner for a ages now awaiting financial chaos and tbh, its a bit smelly. i was tempted earlier this year on a new car but chickened out losing a £500 dep. anyway, im thinking i deserve a treat so im back on the case and was looking at the mitsubishi outlander juro. its a bit of a bling mobile, but does around 50mpg if your nice. i would get it on a company lease for 60 months at 350 vat inc. dep 1700.

its not the cost as i could buy it outright, its the 60 months that worries me. business so far is fair to good and should be partially recession proof, but not depression proof. i suppose if my busines went the lease car would go but my off balance physical would still exist. which is why i would finance. also mitsubishi have good rates and in time the £350pcm would be subject to inflationary reduction.

i was wondering if this step would be a disaster.

anyone got any input or advice ?

HOLA442

ive been mincing about it an astra burner for a ages now awaiting financial chaos and tbh, its a bit smelly. i was tempted earlier this year on a new car but chickened out losing a £500 dep. anyway, im thinking i deserve a treat so im back on the case and was looking at the mitsubishi outlander juro. its a bit of a bling mobile, but does around 50mpg if your nice. i would get it on a company lease for 60 months at 350 vat inc. dep 1700.

its not the cost as i could buy it outright, its the 60 months that worries me. business so far is fair to good and should be partially recession proof, but not depression proof. i suppose if my busines went the lease car would go but my off balance physical would still exist. which is why i would finance. also mitsubishi have good rates and in time the £350pcm would be subject to inflationary reduction.

i was wondering if this step would be a disaster.

anyone got any input or advice ?

Might be worth waiting to Nov/Dec as that's the time to get the best deals.

I'd hire purchase. You'll end up actually owning it and you have a bit of protection if things go pearshaped in that once you've made half the payments you can just give the car back and walk-away, if things get that bad.

I expect you'll get the usual 'I've been driving this Opel Kadett that cost me £20 and by welding baked bean tins together to replace the exhaust I've spent nothing on repairs blah, blah, blah'.

What I would say is that businesses are a bit like lamps in an electric circuit and they have a habit of only supplying enough current to light whatever bulbs there are but, that doesn't mean you can't add extra bulbs - basically businesses have a habit of always just about covering overheads but, that doesn't mean you can't increase them and work harder.

Buying on credit is a good idea as you're much better off with the cash lump sum in tact as a fire-fighting fund rather than a massively depreciated car you'll have to try and sell off to raise emergency cash.

Ignore the posters on here who wobble on about saving up and no debt. They mistakenly think you can run businesses like they run their housekeeping budget on a PAYE salary.

HOLA443

Might be worth waiting to Nov/Dec as that's the time to get the best deals.

I'd hire purchase. You'll end up actually owning it and you have a bit of protection if things go pearshaped in that once you've made half the payments you can just give the car back and walk-away, if things get that bad.

I expect you'll get the usual 'I've been driving this Opel Kadett that cost me £20 and by welding baked bean tins together to replace the exhaust I've spent nothing on repairs blah, blah, blah'.

What I would say is that businesses are a bit like lamps in an electric circuit and they have a habit of only supplying enough current to light whatever bulbs there are but, that doesn't mean you can't add extra bulbs - basically businesses have a habit of always just about covering overheads but, that doesn't mean you can't increase them and work harder.

Buying on credit is a good idea as you're much better off with the cash lump sum in tact as a fire-fighting fund rather than a massively depreciated car you'll have to try and sell off to raise emergency cash.

Ignore the posters on here who wobble on about saving up and no debt. They mistakenly think you can run businesses like they run their housekeeping budget on a PAYE salary.

yeah thanks for that. i would have to work slightly harder, or perhaps waste a little less on my business work to cover the extra, but as your say with the light analogy, you always find a way to increase the money supply as needed. i used to have business overheads of 3k pcm in 07 and coped fine. ive been here before bought a new car and didnt regret that. the 08 collapse was a little edgy, so i sold that one in 09 and regretted it. ive been running on the 'opel kadett tin can exhaust line' for over a year and i look like im pennyless, which is what i wanted at the time, but its hardly a good car to go to estimates. a part of the biz im looking to expand.

one concern i have is that if things get horrible economically in the next few, ill look like a twit and be a key magnet.

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

Think of yourself man! Forget your wallet; it can look after itself! :rolleyes:

your probably right. ive wasted so much time and money recently chasing my tail. life is what happens when your making other plans as the quote goes. i can always cook my own food more and recently ive discovered pasta. which is dirt cheap and fun to do.

still, the sensible brigade are always off duty late at night, due to their regimented sensible lifestyles. i bet tomorrows answers might be different than us night owls. were almost lifes late night gamblers and dreamers.

HOLA449

your probably right. ive wasted so much time and money recently chasing my tail. life is what happens when your making other plans as the quote goes. i can always cook my own food more and recently ive discovered pasta. which is dirt cheap and fun to do.

still, the sensible brigade are always off duty late at night, due to their regimented sensible lifestyles. i bet tomorrows answers might be different than us night owls. were almost lifes late night gamblers and dreamers.

I think Soon Not A Chain Retailer's advice is best.

And think of it this way... if it stretches you a bit, you have an incentive. Is your astra an incentive for anything?

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

I think Soon Not A Chain Retailer's advice is best.

And think of it this way... if it stretches you a bit, you have an incentive. Is your astra an incentive for anything?

that astra is certainly a negative influence on me. it promotes a feeling of 'whats the point'.

i had hoped i could channel my business earnings into a home, but that could be a while off yet.

also, im planning on moving into a 'swishier' place in the next month or so. im trying to live a bit more. i like my work but the lack of reward has ruined my hunger for money and has made me ungrateful of my fortunate position. choosing instead to veg out decaying with no goals.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417

well. i bought it. not regretting it, though i wont get delivery until early sept.

watch the uk go all greece tits now....

You'll look good in that! Make sure you sit on the driver's side. Thanks for the PIL track!

Oh, if the UK goes all Greek, the finance company might go under and you get it for free! :rolleyes:

HOLA4418

You'll look good in that! Make sure you sit on the driver's side. Thanks for the PIL track!

Oh, if the UK goes all Greek, the finance company might go under and you get it for free! :rolleyes:

i did consider that too. but its more likely id be hunted down or trapped. then sold for human consumption.

PIL. im struggling to find you any more PIL hits. im switching to the sex pistols.

HOLA4419

i did consider that too. but its more likely id be hunted down or trapped. then sold for human consumption.

PIL. im struggling to find you any more PIL hits. im switching to the sex pistols.

Thanks! You will struggle to find PIL hits ( their only real hit was "this is not a love song") but the following was, in my opinion, one of the best tracks to come out......

HOLA4420

Thanks! You will struggle to find PIL hits ( their only real hit was "this is not a love song") but the following was, in my opinion, one of the best tracks to come out......

i dont know. by the time PIL came about the anger was gone. hed gone soft.

nothing tears it up like this one.

funny how malcolm mclarens over comments are repeating themselves and are as true right now as at the time of the last youth crisis.

or its voices in my head.

HOLA4421

i dont know. by the time PIL came about the anger was gone. hed gone soft.

nothing tears it up like this one.

funny how malcolm mclarens over comments are repeating themselves and are as true right now as at the time of the last youth crisis.

or its voices in my head.

No, I heard them voices too! I know a lot of people put the Pistols down to being a successful marketing enterprise, brought about by Mclaren, but the truth is, their music struck a chord with many.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425

How come these modern tractors have such good mpg and the old 4x4s have around 25-30mpg?

I'm not sure how they achieved that.

6 gears and some funky new booby dazzler eco injection moulded pannini i think. but it does..

YOu'll be alright, seen plenty outlanders in Greece.

Bitof a change from your social housing in Sal$ord days.

yeah. im sick of being a hermit while wasting my life. im moving away too.

Ive never seen one...pretty car!

it looks uglier with me in it...

Archived