House Price Crash Forum

The Right To Build Your Own Home On Your Own Land

Timm

HOLA441

http://www.planningp...week_4/220710_1

Key to the new approach would be what the Government has said would be a "new system of collaborative planning as well as a system of approvals which is much more open and responsive".

This would entail establishing a presumption in favour of sustainable development: individuals and businesses would have the right to build homes and other local buildings provided that they conform to national environmental, architectural, economic and social standards, conform to the local plan, and pay a tariff that compensates the community for loss of amenity and costs of additional infrastructure.

The first flys in the oitment that I can see are the requirement to comply with the (no doubt quickly amended) Local Plan and the "community tariff", which could well amount to little more than a bribe. Still, this is an area worth watching...

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

The first flys in the oitment that I can see are the requirement to comply with the (no doubt quickly amended) Local Plan and the "community tariff", which could well amount to little more than a bribe. Still, this is an area worth watching...

sustainable development

http://www.defra.gov.uk/sustainable/government/what/index.htm

http://www.ttrb.ac.uk/viewArticle2.aspx?contentId=12799

Securing the Future establishes a common purpose and framework for sustainable development across UK Government and the devolved administrations of Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland that have their own strategies.

What it means is the boys in the know will be given permission, not the oiks.

Comrade.

HOLA443

The first flys in the oitment that I can see are the requirement to comply with the (no doubt quickly amended) Local Plan and the "comunity tariff", which could well amount to little more than a bribe. Still, this is an area worth watching...

more buck passing.

it's your local councils fault.

it's the local residents fault.

HOLA444

sustainable development

http://www.defra.gov.../what/index.htm

http://www.ttrb.ac.u...contentId=12799

Securing the Future establishes a common purpose and framework for sustainable development across UK Government and the devolved administrations of Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland that have their own strategies.

What it means is the boys in the know will be given permission, not the oiks.

Comrade.

You mean this: http://www.tpuc.org/node/107 ?

If you believe that stuff, your only options are to join the cult, accept your serfdom or engage in bloody revolt.

HOLA445
Guest Noodle

:lol:

. . . provided that they conform to national environmental, architectural, economic and social standards, conform to the local plan, and pay a tariff that compensates the community for loss of amenity and costs of additional infrastructure.

So the Town and Country Planing Act 1990 with Section 106 shylock and Building Regs then?

:lol::lol::lol:

Edited by Noodle

HOLA446

laugh.gif

. . . provided that they conform to national environmental, architectural, economic and social standards, conform to the local plan, and pay a tariff that compensates the community for loss of amenity and costs of additional infrastructure.

So the Town and Country Planing Act 1990 with Section 108 shylock and Building Regs then?

laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

I'm happy I cheered you up!

The word is that this National Guidance could be reducing the reams of Planning Policy Statements etc with one 30 page booklet.

As to rolling building control and planning together, that would probably make sense. More study for me though!

HOLA447
Guest Noodle

I'm happy I cheered you up!

The word is that this National Guidance could be reducing the reams of Planning Policy Statements etc with one 30 page booklet.

As to rolling building control and planning together, that would probably make sense. More study for me though!

It won't change.

Think VI. Think major home builders, planners, environment agency (flood dept., land quality dept.), myriad of other obstructionistas like ramblers, archaeologists, ecologists, NIMBY neighbours, Bill Odie types . . .

Look, if you really want to do this, you'd better come over here. Get a 60 or 90 year lease on a plot, try and get planning permission (I tried, but it doesn't exist here) and build a nice big retirement place for about £25k, furnished.

With a bit of guidance from expats like me it's very, very easy.

HOLA448

It won't change.

Think VI. Think major home builders, planners, environment agency (flood dept., land quality dept.), myriad of other obstructionistas like ramblers, archaeologists, ecologists, NIMBY neighbours, Bill Odie types . . .

Look, if you really want to do this, you'd better come over here. Get a 60 or 90 year lease on a plot, try and get planning permission (I tried, but it doesn't exist here) and build a nice big retirement place for about £25k, furnished.

With a bit of guidance from expats like me it's very, very easy.

Oh it will change, the question is how. It's quite possible that the changes won't make it any easier to build.

As to living in Thailand, thanks for the offer, but it's not for me. This tree has too many roots.

HOLA449
Guest Noodle

Oh it will change, the question is how. It's quite possible that the changes won't make it any easier to build.

As to living in Thailand, thanks for the offer, but it's not for me. This tree has too many roots.

Many countries to choose from. Never heard anything bad said about Malaysia.

I worked in the land business in the UK, cleaning the damn stuff and doing groundworks and enabling works for VERY FECKING BIG developments.

It really is a nightmare. A tangled ball of string, which will take patience (and many years) to unravel. I wish it would. It's just daft the whole thing. But from that statement above indicating the general conditions for self-build I can see they have no real intention for this situation to change.

For all it's woes, I am glad I built out here. I have somewhere to retire, costs are very low. No chance of ever doing this in the UK, this place is 2200 square feet and rather nice (one of my custom builds). From now on it's all about saving for retirement.

HOLA4410
Guest sillybear2

Me thinks the large corporate house builders with their lovely land banks will take issue with a new pikey inspired planning system that allows any tom dick or harry to build what they want, where they want, at a price they can afford.

Nice idea though, it's how things are done in other countries, in many Scandinavian countries the local authority zones an area of land and normal people or small builders can buy plots.

HOLA4411
Guest Noodle

Me thinks the large corporate house builders with their lovely land banks will take issue with a new pikey inspired planning system that allows any tom dick or harry to build what they want, where they want, at a price they can afford.

Nice idea though, it's how things are done in other countries, in many Scandinavian countries the local authority zones an area of land and normal people or small builders can buy plots.

Is there over supply in the UK? I think possibly. However, I did mention many moons ago that the UK, should it head into poverty, must get rid of all this obstruction and let people live in sheds (bit like here used to be, it's almost posh now) that they can afford (okay like Barratt 'town house').

HOLA4412
Guest sillybear2

Is there over supply in the UK? I think possibly. However, I did mention many moons ago that the UK, should it head into poverty, must get rid of all this obstruction and let people live in sheds (bit like here used to be, it's almost posh now) that they can afford (okay like Barratt 'town house').

The system is a bit broken :-

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/house-and-home/property/homebuilding-figures-could-fall-below-1923-levels-2029754.html

Though I'm sure the big house builders, large land owners and bankers are more than happy to be selling a small number of chicken coops at outrageous prices. What that has to do with housing the population is another matter.

HOLA4413
Guest Noodle

The system is a bit broken :-

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/house-and-home/property/homebuilding-figures-could-fall-below-1923-levels-2029754.html

Though I'm sure the big house builders, large land owners and bankers are more than happy to be selling a small number of chicken coops at outrageous prices. What that has to do with housing the population is another matter.

Also need to factor in deceased estate from the boomers here. I havent seen a chart of UK population for ages, when does it peak?

The other thing is, Brits building their own places won't do a bad job, they won't throw up some ugly box.

HOLA4414
Guest sillybear2

Also need to factor in deceased estate from the boomers here. I havent seen a chart of UK population for ages, when does it peak?

The other thing is, Brits building their own places won't do a bad job, they won't throw up some ugly box.

Dave should ask his cousin about these ideas :-

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2004/sep/03/society.conservatives

"The shortage of affordable housing, especially in the south, is due to the astronomic price of land. Forty per cent of the cost of a new house in the south-east is the price of the land. The value of land is due directly to strict planning laws. Fewer houses are being built now than for decades, while agricultural land - no longer of dig-for-Britain economic use - is senselessly protected by middle-class lobbies. But it's time to let land go, send the price of housing tumbling and make everyone a property owner.

Mount accepts that setting people free to build will mean more eyesores and landscape blots, as people are allowed to build in ramshackle ways. But if it would transform the lives of all the dispossessed, giving them a real stake, responsibility and a share in wealth, isn't it worth it? The Campaign to Protect Rural England would say no - but here's a conservative willing to argue against a landscape frozen in time by the 1947 Town and Country Planning Act. "

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
Guest sillybear2

Would you like to build your own home? Are you planning to do that? (I'm asking 'cause we would love to be allowed to do that.)

I wouldn't get your hopes up, the free market is only for big people, the one's who know how to slip the right brown envelopes into the right pockets.

HOLA4417

Exactly.

HOLA4418
Guest Noodle

Dave should ask his cousin about these ideas :-

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2004/sep/03/society.conservatives

"The shortage of affordable housing, especially in the south, is due to the astronomic price of land. Forty per cent of the cost of a new house in the south-east is the price of the land. The value of land is due directly to strict planning laws. Fewer houses are being built now than for decades, while agricultural land - no longer of dig-for-Britain economic use - is senselessly protected by middle-class lobbies. But it's time to let land go, send the price of housing tumbling and make everyone a property owner.

Mount accepts that setting people free to build will mean more eyesores and landscape blots, as people are allowed to build in ramshackle ways. But if it would transform the lives of all the dispossessed, giving them a real stake, responsibility and a share in wealth, isn't it worth it? The Campaign to Protect Rural England would say no - but here's a conservative willing to argue against a landscape frozen in time by the 1947 Town and Country Planning Act. "

This bloke Mount is Grade A stuck up c£$t.

Ramshackle ways? Geezus, he's ever seen the quality of new builds then. <_<

People won't build junk. In people that self-build there is real pride.

Now, to make this really workable and if they actually do ease up on this cack planning system . . . pre-fabs will become very popular, big market. Not those log cabin excuses for outsized garden sheds Tesco flog, but real buildings. Design will be excellent and factory production will maintain high standards and quality and at the same time reduce costs massively over on-site construction. Couple these with screw in piles where ground conditions allow and we are looking at a workable system of affordable housing. (LAND PRICE PERMITTING).

Anyone thinking of doing this, go careful with land quality. I can see a few coming unstuck with those pedant fvcks at the Environment Agency if chemical tests show the land to be contaminated (even naturally contaminated).

I remember one site where the ground was still abysmal, the foundations laid were a joke, the footprint of the houses was 3.8m x 7m and they were going for £250k (area was towards the South East). This was a major builder, essentially flogging staircases. No building officer in sight and the NHBC were only interested in site health and safety (not that this kid knew anything about it).

Ramshackle ways? Feckin' idiot!

Edited by Noodle

HOLA4419

I wouldn't get your hopes up, the free market is only for big people, the one's who know how to slip the right brown envelopes into the right pockets.

Really? I've heard of these "brown envelopes", but do they really exist, in England, XXI century? I am not sure. I am not saying that they don't exist. I really am not sure about it - don't know the answer. I do think that here in the "provinces", there must be a lot of informal exchange of favours though, amongst the old boys network. Which ends up being the same sh!te, of course.

HOLA4420
Guest Noodle

Really? I've heard of these "brown envelopes", but do they really exist, in England, XXI century? I am not sure. I am not saying that they don't exist. I really am not sure about it - don't know the answer. I do think that here in the "provinces", there must be a lot of informal exchange of favours though, amongst the old boys network. Which ends up being the same sh!te, of course.

Well, with Prescott gone you might have a chance now.

HOLA4421
Guest sillybear2

This bloke Mount is Grade A stuck up c£$t.

Ramshackle ways? Geezus, he's ever seen the quality of new builds then. <_<

People won't build junk. In people that self-build there is real pride.

I think you've taken it the wrong way, basically they wouldn't resemble identikit Barratt boxes and that's a good thing. People would build what they wanted, not what they're given, and there would still have to be some building control and inspection, so it's not like things would be dropping on peoples' heads. I think one carbuncle in a thousand is a price worth paying.

If you submitted an application to the planning committee for a Portmeirion, what do you think they'd say in the modern era? B)

Edited by sillybear2

HOLA4422
Guest Noodle

I think you've taken it the wrong way, basically they wouldn't resemble identikit Barratt boxes and that's a good thing. People would build what they wanted, not what they're given, and there would still have to be some building control and inspection, so it's not like things would be dropping on peoples' heads. I think one carbuncle in a thousand is a price worth paying.

No I know what he's saying and it's typical of those types. Zero faith in their fellow man, because if they had there would be no reason for them to exist.

The pre-fab thing is separate to that. As I see it, that's the way self-build would go.

HOLA4423
Guest sillybear2

No I know what he's saying and it's typical of those types. Zero faith in their fellow man, because if they had there would be no reason for them to exist.

The pre-fab thing is separate to that. As I see it, that's the way self-build would go.

He sounds very live and let live to me, I'm fearful of the types who try and control and 'plan' everything in some kind of grand unified masterplan, or the nimby types who throw a wobbly if you paint your front door the "wrong" colour.

HOLA4424
Guest Noodle

He sounds very live and let live to me, I'm fearful of the types who try and control and 'plan' everything in some kind of grand unified masterplan, or the nimby types who throw a wobbly if you paint your front door the "wrong" colour.

He may do, but I can already tell from these few comments from them that nothing is about to change.

It should be very easy to put a house up. Shelter and security is a basic human need and that's why it's the weapon of choice for the control freaks.

No change. 100% correct, guaranteed.

HOLA4425

Would you like to build your own home? Are you planning to do that? (I'm asking 'cause we would love to be allowed to do that.)

I'd absolutely love to build my own home. I have a few, shall we say, unconventional, ideas incorporating steel girders and straw bales :) But essentially, I'd want to build my own, well designed, eco-friendly house with rain water capture, heat pumps etc, that cost next to nothing to run.

It's not something you'd ever get from the large 'throw 'em up' developers.

Edited by Fishbone Glover