House Price Crash Forum

The Dollar, Sterling And The Euro.

lufc

HOLA441

http://uk.reuters.com/article/idUKLDE6141WC20100205?pageNumber=2&virtualBrandChannel=0

Sterling hits 8-1/2 mth low vs in-favour dollar

If anything I would have thought that the Boe would prefer a weak pound vs the Euro (our biggest export market) and strong vs the dollar (less inflationary for commodities imported and denominated in dollars).

Interesting that the "pause" in QE did little for Sterling's cause, or maybe the markets believe that the " pause" will be very short lived.

Or maybe the markets are putting UKPLC on a similar financial footing to Greece, Spain Etc, Etc.

HOLA442

http://uk.reuters.com/article/idUKLDE6141WC20100205?pageNumber=2&virtualBrandChannel=0

Sterling hits 8-1/2 mth low vs in-favour dollar

If anything I would have thought that the Boe would prefer a weak pound vs the Euro (our biggest export market) and strong vs the dollar (less inflationary for commodities imported and denominated in dollars).

Interesting that the "pause" in QE did little for Sterling's cause, or maybe the markets believe that the " pause" will be very short lived.

Or maybe the markets are putting UKPLC on a similar financial footing to Greece, Spain Etc, Etc.

the doolar whether correct or not is still the reserve currency, therefore as seen in 2008, whenever there is a whiff of deflation in the air it will be bought by the risk averse no matter how fcked the country is, i cant see that changing no matter how much debt they have whilst they remain the reserve currency

Edited by Tamara De Lempicka

HOLA443

the doolar whether correct or not is still the reserve currency, therefore as seen in 2008, whenever there is a whiff of deflation in the air it will be bought by the risk averse no matter how fcked the country is, i cant see that changing no matter how much debt they have whilst they remain the reserve currency

I quite agree. My point is though that I don't think a strengthening dollar and weakening Euro is in the Boe/Brown masterplan.

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

Yes, someone posted an interview with Schiff i believe it was saying that if the dollar collapses it will take every other currency down with it due to its reserve status. Ie dont bother diversifiying into euros/pounds/any other currency if hyperinflation is what you fear.

HOLA448

Yes, someone posted an interview with Schiff i believe it was saying that if the dollar collapses it will take every other currency down with it due to its reserve status. Ie dont bother diversifiying into euros/pounds/any other currency if hyperinflation is what you fear.

Too right.

There was a time (not all that long ago) when the £ was, across the world, considered prime, 'sound as a pound' and all that.

The US$ has become the currency of choice now, hell's teeth, one can even use it to buy groceries in Zimbabwe.

HOLA449
HOLA4410

schiff does point out that if all currencies dive then the usd will still be top of the pile but he never says not to diversify if hyperinfaltion is a concern. He is concerned about hyperinflation and recommends diversifying out of fiat and into gold and other assets.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414