House Price Crash Forum

Bbc Debate On Now

Dave Spart

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443

That Kelvin Mackenzie bloke was very cross about the idea of his empty properties being lived in.

I can understand him being cross, it is after all his property. Maybe the council should compulsory purchase the property, at least then he should get fair market value.

HOLA444

I can understand him being cross, it is after all his property. Maybe the council should compulsory purchase the property, at least then he should get fair market value.

how about we just stop attacking people based on where they stand in time and space?

HOLA445

It really depends what they mean by empty houses. If they are owned by someone then what right has the government got to start enforcing such authoritarian views. If they are registered by the land registry as not owned and have been for a period of probate then bringing such properties into the social housing stock would make sense.....BUT there would have to be a complete search to see check for inheritance rights.

I would also like to point out there are so many definitions of the term homelessness. It really is hard to define who is actually homeless. It could by Albanian refugees living in derelict housing or it could be a family living with their parents in search of a home of their own. If you are going to start dishing out housing then this country needs to change the right to a roof to those people born here and not those in most need. If the law isn't changed then millions of immigrants will take advantage of our generous welfare system AGAIN and many Brits won't get a look in.

Finally we should also remember why millions of people can't get on the housing ladder. It is the result of a housing boom built on selling mortgages that people can't afford. If mortgages had been limited to 3 x salary with a min of 10% deposit we really wouldn't be in this mess. The whole of our economy has been built on credit and the result of credit restrictions has caused huge problems with the British economy. Is it any wonder really why Britain is lagging behind Germany and France.

And why if there is a housing shortage is the government allowing millions of immigrants into an already cramped Britain. I work for a housing association and I would say about 40% of our 60,000 + homes are now occupied by non Brits.

It is all so easy to push the blame onto second home owners.....

Edited by dubsie