House Price Crash Forum

The Great Repeal Bill

HOLA441

Douglas Carswell MP has set up a wiki-Bill experiment.

Douglas is using the the internet to allow everyone to help him draft a Great Repeal Bill. It has been a tremendous success so far. A real Bill has been drafted by hundreds of citizens on-line - and the wisdom of the crowd has exceeded that of Westminster.

THE GREAT REPEAL BILL

looks like a great idea to me.

hopefully it will gain some good publicity.

it just makes one realise how much gimmicky rubbish this Labour government introduced.

Which Act of Parliament would you like to repeal and why?

HOLA442

Douglas is using the the internet to allow everyone to help him draft a Great Repeal Bill. It has been a tremendous success so far. A real Bill has been drafted by hundreds of citizens on-line - and the wisdom of the crowd has exceeded that of Westminster.

THE GREAT REPEAL BILL

it just makes one realise how much gimmicky rubbish this Labour government introduced.

It involves Daniel Hannan. That's all I need to know.

HOLA443
Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable

THE GREAT REPEAL BILL

Everything brought in since 1997.

No need to explain my reasoning.

HOLA444

Serious question. What, historically and legally speaking, is the basis for the Westminster parliament having power to legislate for the UK? How can we repeal the UK parliament? Both houses of parliament, together with the monarchy (though not necessarily in the same clause of the great repeal).

Seems to me the most useful thing anyone could add to it.

HOLA445
Guest absolutezero

Oh look.

A load of Tories wanting to get rid of a lot of employees' employment rights and Health and Safety legislation....

Quelle surprise.... :rolleyes:

HOLA446
Oh look.

A load of Tories wanting to get rid of a lot of employees' employment rights and Health and Safety legislation....

Quelle surprise.... :rolleyes:

I haven't looked yet but presume that teachers get a mention?

edit to add: just looked, the op has a point and many of the acts do need to be repealed. Little of what is listed has to do with workers rights, teachers :rolleyes:

Edited by richyc

HOLA447
Guest absolutezero
I haven't looked yet but presume that teachers get a mention?

edit to add: just looked, the op has a point and many of the acts do need to be repealed. Little of what is listed has to do with workers rights, teachers :rolleyes:

Who mentioned teachers? I didn't.

Agreed, there is some legislation on there that needs repealing (such as the ID card stuff) but before I even clicked I knew the minimum wage and Health and Safety at Work Acts would be on there.

Tories never change.

HOLA448

Agreed, there is some legislation on there that needs repealing (such as the ID card stuff) but before I even clicked I knew the minimum wage and Health and Safety at Work Acts would be on there.

Tories never change.

this isn't a Tory Bill - the Bill is edited by the public.

it just happens to be instigated by a Conservative MP.

HOLA449

Tories never change.

and you don't believe that there is anything wrong with any of the h&s legislation? Even in your job you must come across a certain ammount of ridiculous h&s nonesense.

HOLA4410
Guest absolutezero
this isn't a Tory Bill - the Bill is edited by the public.

it just happens to be instigated by a Conservative MP.

So it's likely that most of the people who are going to read it are Tories.....

It's probably a waste of time anyway since a lot of those will be EU laws and we have no choice whether to accept them or not.

HOLA4411
Guest absolutezero
and you don't believe that there is anything wrong with any of the h&s legislation? Even in your job you must come across a certain ammount of ridiculous h&s nonesense.

I think that anything that makes employers responsible for employee health and safety in the workplace is a good thing.

HOLA4412

A right to equal representation in a court of peers and a pre-disclosure of fees/costs/bribes of all parties is all that is needed. Repeal almost every act and give the right of a level playing field in court for every man and his dog (well maybe not the dog). Simples.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416

Everything since 1215!

On a more serious note, I don't think this particular experiment will work very well. It seems to be stuffed full of ultra right wingers wanting to scrap all forms of protection of workers, human rights etc

and this gem:

repeal the climate change 2008 act

Costs individual households and businesses billions of pounds when the UK is estimated to be responsible for only 2% of worldwide carbon emissions and man made climate change is only a hypothesis[Citation needed]and not an established fact.

:lol:

HOLA4417

Beware of Tories bearing legislative gifts.

Anyone who has watched Fox News in the US will know how thoroughly unbalanced its shows are. Should the Tories win power, they will repeal the requirement for balance in news reporting. If you think news organisations already push too much propoganda just wait until Cameron wins power. Doubtless the Tories will sneak that change in with their Great Repeal Bill, along with a lot of other underhand changes for the benefit of their plutocratic mates.

It's the changes made to the system that count not the changes made by the system.

Assuming that change to the system can be peacably achieved, then there are only two changes I want passed in Parliament and they are outlined here and here.

Where we go from there is a choice exclusive to The People.

Edited by Dave Spart

HOLA4418
Beware of Tories bearing legislative gifts.

Anyone who has watched Fox News in the US will know how thoroughly unbalanced its shows are. Should the Tories win power, they will repeal the requirement for balance in news reporting. If you think news organisations already push too much propoganda just wait until Cameron wins power. doubtless the Tories will sneak that change in with their Great Repeal Bill, along with a lot of other underhand changes for the benefit of their plutocratic mates.

Indeed, nearly as biased as the BBC. :lol:

Seriously, whats peoples problem with bias in TV news?| You buy the telegraph, you know you get a conservative viewpoint, you buy a guardian, you get a liberal one. Its called a free press. So long as humans are involved with making the news, it will be biased, thats inescapable. Id rather have a choice of news channels that are openly biased than one that (claims) not to be biased.

Fox news' problem is that they are so excessively tabloidy the bias is made so blatant. Cant fault them as a business model though, they get the viewing figures, which is what its all about.

HOLA4419

It's probably a waste of time anyway since a lot of those will be EU laws and we have no choice whether to accept them or not.

But we have a choice as whether we're in the EU or not. A sufficiently vigorous government could negotiate an opt out on just about anything anyway as the EU needs us (or rather our money) more than we need them.

HOLA4420
Indeed, nearly as biased as the BBC. :lol:

Seriously, whats peoples problem with bias in TV news?| You buy the telegraph, you know you get a conservative viewpoint, you buy a guardian, you get a liberal one. Its called a free press. So long as humans are involved with making the news, it will be biased, thats inescapable. Id rather have a choice of news channels that are openly biased than one that (claims) not to be biased.

Fox news' problem is that they are so excessively tabloidy the bias is made so blatant. Cant fault them as a business model though, they get the viewing figures, which is what its all about.

This is why :

nuremberg_party_rallies_gallery_main_2.jpg

And this :

bush-oral-history-0902-01.jpg

And this :

baghdad-bombing.jpg

Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.

Edited by Dave Spart

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424

Legislation: European Communities Act 1972

Reasoning: This Act undermines democracy by transferring powers from the British Parliament to unelected functionaries abroad. It allows substantial changes in the law to be made without a vote in Parliament.

;)

HOLA4425
Assuming that change to the system can be peacably achieved, then there are only two changes I want passed in Parliament and they are outlined here and here.

Where we go from there is a choice exclusive to The People.

I'm also a big fan of direct democracy, but I'm wondering if a hybrid system would work out better.

Rather than a Swiss/Athenian model where 'The People' have to approve laws, we could have a direct democracy where 'The Representatives' approve the laws and 'The People' repeal the bad ones.

In thinking about - 'why should we have any laws' ultimately most people will have an answer along the lines of to stop bad people doing bad things, keep us safe, protect rights, maintain a cohesive society etc etc

The system might work like this:

Any new laws must have a rational basis.

Each law must have a plain english justification, MP's must identify the problem, the measure of the problem and detail how the new law will address the problem over a certain timescale.

Should a law be non effective, or if 'The People' disagree about the existence of a problem, then a referendum can forced with parliament being required to prove the continued need for the law.

So for example if MP's create a counter terrorism law that allows the police to stop & search suspected terrorists, but then a few years later it turns out no terrorist have ever been stopped, but 250,000 law abiding people a year in London are getting stopped, 'The People' can chuck the law out.