House Price Crash Forum

Is It Time To Ban Burkhas?

deadman

HOLA441
Guest AuntJess
I think there are two options with Burkha.

Option 1) Women are required to wear a burkha.

In this case I support the immediate banning as it is illiberal and illegal, it infringes on the rights of women.

Option 2) Women choose to wear the burkha.

In this case I do not support banning the burkha as it infringes on the right of a person to dress as they please.

However if option 2 is the case then any organisation, building, supermarket, company etc should have the right to ban the wearing of facial coverings by their employees, or customers or on their premises etc as the wearing of a burkha is optional.

Does the "right to dress as one pleases" really fit in with the need to conform to society's norms? In this country we have evolved into the kind of society where things don't need to be banned, the censure/social disapproval would be enough.

For example any MP in this country hailing from Hawaii, would not be smiled upon if s/he rolled up to the HoP in a grass skirt..or topless with a garland of flowers. Yet this is their cultural garb and if they choose to dress thus YOU would defend it - yes?

I suspect they would not try and 'push the point, as it is just playing 'power politics', insisting on getting one's own way for the sake of getting it.

Any restauranteur or licensee can ban anyone from their premises if they don't adopt the appropriate dress code. H&S rules can prevent someone from working if they aren't keeping to the 'code'. EG? Try working in a kitchen without wearing a hair covering to stop hairs getting in food.

So this PCdom about 'thou shalt not ban' is a bit passe.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
Guest AuntJess
The inescapable corollary to your post is that you are obviously rather familiar with the Daily Mail.

I for one am not since I don't read it: nor do I cite it.

+1

HOLA443
http://tendancecoatesy.wordpress.com/2009/...rance-marginal/

No doubt the corrosion here in blighty is far more widespread. Sense of proportion alive and well.

I wouldn't take any notice of the PCF they are not to be taken seriously and they are not that honest as well read there newspaper the l'humanité there views change everyday like wind directions

The only communists that i know are all property owners and have good civil-servant jobs (total security no risk )

They are total "racists " and only think of there retirement pensions but like to say that they are communists because it sounds "naughty"

These people wouldn't go anywhere near a council estate or an Arab ghetto here in France or even show there faces on a "picket-line" when a factory is threated with a close-down

I would rather vote for the Mickey Mouse party than vote PCF

HOLA444
Any restauranteur or licensee can ban anyone from their premises if they don't adopt the appropriate dress code. H&S rules can prevent someone from working if they aren't keeping to the 'code'. EG? Try working in a kitchen without wearing a hair covering to stop hairs getting in food.

I am under the impression that within the constraints of the law that the owner of any privately owned premises, whether it be a restaurant or otherwise, can ban (or require) any form of dress that they desire, including burkhas, turbans, dog collars, blue ties, flat caps and pretty much anything else.

I have no problem with that save for, maybe, the condition that what's not allowed is clearly visible to all at entrances, which is what happens now, except for some households. (My mother-in-law, for example, won't let anyone pass her front step without them removing their shoes.)

Okay, so Fred's Blue Oyster Nightclub would have few male patrons if a condition of entry was the wearing of a lime green codpiece and a red traffic cone on one's bonce but I'd defend his right to make those stipulations even if some claimed discrimination because their cultural/religious backgrounds/beliefs.

HOLA445
HOLA446
Guest AuntJess
Many apols, Aunty: must admit unusually for me I skim read the thread only having just returned from France and trying to catch up!

No worries! :D

HOLA447

Archived