House Price Crash Forum

Binge Drinking Now Part Of Our Culture According To 40%

HOLA441

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=206...id=asqjMHsMTOu0

Britons Drink More Than Ever as Beer, Wine Becomes Stronger

By Beth Mellor and David Merritt

Aug. 27 (Bloomberg) -- British drinkers are consuming a record amount of alcohol and more than 40 percent of people view binge drinking as part of the country’s “culture,†according to a report by market research company Mintel.

Could the decade of imprudence and "Big brotherism" be driving more of us to drink? Numbing the mind against the awful reality of the world Brown has created for us all.

HOLA442
HOLA443

I'll drink to that!

There is a big problem with associating excess drinking with national pride - getting smashed on vodka has a semi-religious aspect in Russia and it is cultural. Scotland has a lesser problem with whisky.

Here we have a great tradition of drinking real ale of which we are justifiably proud, but it does seem to be morphing into becoming proud of openly getting pissed as though that is a British tradition, it isn't.

HOLA444
That, and Football violence are a sign of the "bad" times coming back.

heroin will re-appear as coke is too dear too.

I'm personally amazed that crystal meth hasn't taken off here. It's cheap and easy to make, even with a coffee maker in a hotel room. When I went to the US ten years ago meth seizures were all over the local press and I assumed it would just explode over here as well. Maybe our junkies prefer something more traditional and organic!

HOLA445
I'll drink to that!

There is a big problem with associating excess drinking with national pride - getting smashed on vodka has a semi-religious aspect in Russia and it is cultural. Scotland has a lesser problem with whisky.

Here we have a great tradition of drinking chemicals that pass as Lager of which we are justifiably embarrassed, but it does seem to be morphing into becoming proud of openly getting pissed as though that is a British tradition, it isn't.

Fixed that for you.

(CAMRA Member)

HOLA446
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=206...id=asqjMHsMTOu0

Britons Drink More Than Ever as Beer, Wine Becomes Stronger

By Beth Mellor and David Merritt

Aug. 27 (Bloomberg) -- British drinkers are consuming a record amount of alcohol and more than 40 percent of people view binge drinking as part of the country’s “culture,†according to a report by market research company Mintel.

Could the decade of imprudence and "Big brotherism" be driving more of us to drink? Numbing the mind against the awful reality of the world Brown has created for us all.

HOLA447
HOLA448
Fixed that for you.

(CAMRA Member)

:D

Speaking as a long time drinker the quality of beer has been getting better every year and I know one lager drinker (well, it's a start) who has just realised what he's been missing and is amazed by the range and quality of real ale.

I get the impression that the 70s were the real low for beer, before my drinking time though.

HOLA449
HOLA4410

However......................our kids are getting more intelligent with nearly everyone getting A grades in their GCSEs--I bet Rodney Trotter only got a bare passing D.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/f093106a-92e3-11...144feabdc0.html

Record numbers gain top GCSE grade

By David "Dave" Turner, Education Correspondent

Published: August 27 2009 10:07 | Last updated: August 27 2009 10:07

A record proportion of candidates gained the top grade in GCSEs, according to Thursday’s figures from Britain’s exam boards.

The proportion of pupils being awarded A* or A increased by 0.9 percentage points to a new high of 21.6 per cent.

Just think, this time next year and they will all be A grade students.

HOLA4411