HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
Seems logical to me when you consider the alternative. Maybe im just more intelligent than you.

Err no, what you are saying isn't possible. nowhere can something both be and not be at the same time.

Go ask some people if they prefer to have services funded through tax or not.

They obviously don't. :)

Because if they did, they wouldn't need to be taxed.

HOLA4411
Seems logical to me when you consider the alternative. Maybe im just more intelligent than you.

Go ask some people if they prefer to have services funded through tax or not.

Only because it allows the delusion that they're not paying for it. If the council, instead of one general bill, sent monthly invoices for diversity, outreach non-jobs people would soon stop paying for them or demand they're sacked. They get lost in the wash as it is.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
Only because it allows the delusion that they're not paying for it. If the council, instead of one general bill, sent monthly invoices for diversity, outreach non-jobs people would soon stop paying for them or demand they're sacked. They get lost in the wash as it is.

Yep, should be less government, and less taxes.

Agreed.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
Ok great, progress.

So now you accept that no one wants to pay taxes?

1. Almost everyone wants services and some organisational structures.

2. They know and accept this inevitably involves taxes.

3. Therefore almost everyone wants to pay taxes

1 leads to 3 - very simple.

HOLA4419
Ive always accepted that noone wants to pay taxes. No-one wants to pay for anything.

What do you want to pay for?

Ahh!

There are all kinds of things I want to pay for!

I enjoy paying for some stuff - which is the only valid reason for doing so.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422

My my, what a black and white argument..... Society is not about one extreme. It is by definition all about shades of grey.

To me, this is all about taking things too far. We need some sort of order to a society. The Hobbesian and Lockean ideas of Social Contrast do have some degree of merit. The problem is; I believe, that we are in late-stage developed Capitalism.

Basically, our bureaucracy has run out of things to do! All the low hanging fruit in terms of societal organization and Government have been achieved. There does come a level where there are enough rules, enough Health and Safety officers, enough Government. I believe we have mostly got there.

So, it is 4.30pm on a Friday afternoon at the Health and Safety department in Whitehall. A meeting takes place, and in it, suddenly the leaders realise that they have done everything they reasonably can to protect workers. Mission accomplished! No more concrete slabs drop on workmen, no more children electrocuted by poorly designed plugs. All we need now if a small enforcement group for care an maintainence, surely..... WRONG! Public sector workers the world over are all the same. Increase their fiefdom, more budget, more workers! To the point of making up jobs and work. This is why we have ever more insane rules to cover ever more obscure possibilities. 1-100000 chance of a death caused by a well known drug? Well, lets ban it, or waste lot of time and resources hang wringing about it! Every death is tragic, but you can't hope to avoid every single untimely death. This is also why we have an ever growing number of psychological 'disorders' being discovered yearly....by Psychologists. Who need more of our wealth to 'study' all these new disorders. Turkeys don't vote for Christmas now, do they?

So, we have an ever increasing public sector, trying to gobble up more and more of our wealth in a never ending quest to find ever more obscure bases to cover, rules to make up, paperclip diversity officers to employ. THIS is why I, as a private sector worker have had enough!

My job is IT Manager for a private sector company, My fellow employees are a mixture of ex private sector and ex public sector. My, can you see the difference. Almost without exception, the ex public sector Managers and Directors spare not one thought for profitability. I sit in meetings listening to them making endless excuses about how the decline of their hours is not their fault, but caused by the old photocopier, or the phones, or the email, or not enough staff, or no blinds on the windows. Honestly, one excuse was that their email system was faulty. One email did not arrive for one employee (who had mis-adressed it) in a 4 week period, and this was why the office hours dropped! A lot of them are far to busy to answer their phone or deal with any queries. Throw some more money at it, and the problem was magically solve itself! Contrast that to the ex private sector managers. They seem to realise that profitability i.e. WEALTH CREATION is the only reason any of us have a job. We don't have an endless bank to go running back to every time we screw up! Mind you, neither does the public sector, no matter how much they want to screw their eyes up, and say 'it ain't so!'.

This theory is called the bureaucratic oversupply model if anyone is interested by the way.

Edited by vlad the impaler

HOLA4423
what's stopping you?

Why don't you get it - he doesn't want to bring the system down. Therefore he makes a conscious decision not to pay less, even if he would prefer to.

This isn't a difficult position to understand. Your guns 'n extortion theory is far more illogical.

HOLA4424
Guest absolutezero
"my pay would go so much futher if I could shake these statist parasites off my back"

Another one who believes he would pay less tax.... :rolleyes:

HOLA4425
Guest absolutezero
Really?

I don't see the world in black and white, if you bother to read my previous contribution to this thread* then that should be obvious.

In the meantime, please refrain from the personal attacks ;)

* hint: it's something to do with what is moral and what is practical not always being the same thing.

That wasn't a personal attack!