House Price Crash Forum

Equality

HOLA441

I'm all in favour of treating everyone equally, both before the law and in general society.

it is interesting to note the employment make-up of the Equality and Human Rights Commission from their first annual (23 months) report...

The Commission’s headcount as of 31 March 2008 was 410. In addition, we employed on average

120 agency staff throughout the 23½ month period to March 2008. The three organisations

we replaced had a combined headcount of 620. A total of 347 staff from the former Commission

for Racial Equality, Disability Rights Commission and the Equal Opportunities Commission moved

to the new Commission on 1 October 2007. The diversity make-up of individuals directly

employed by the Commission includes: 63 per cent female; 23 per cent disabled; 27 per cent

non-white; 51 per cent aged over 40 years; 21 per cent aged over 50 years; 5 per cent aged over 60

years; 9 per cent non-heterosexual; and individuals with a mix of eight different religions/beliefs.

So who's for chipping in together to fund an action against the EHRC to contest their blatant in-equality - 63% of the population are not women, 27% of the population is not "non-white" and 23% is not disabled.

Surely we can't afford to keep funding waste of space organisations like this? There is plenty of legilsation to protect people from discrimination and plenty of lawyers to support them (e.g. Cherie Blair's chambers).

HOLA442

i had the exact same thoughts when watching the C4 news last night.

Sure its all nicey nice to look after things like this but only when everything else is already paid for. Quangos like this will be first on the chopping block

HOLA443
HOLA444

I have tried to get legal advice from the EHRC on a disability issue. Letters, emails and telephone calls have been fruitless. All I wanted was a simple clarification of legislation they have a responsibility for.

I have become convinced that the EHRC has been hijacked by special interest groups, I leave you to decide which they may be, and by a metropolitan clique.

Certainly, it is not serving the people who need it, so spend the money elsewhere.

HOLA445

"Equality of capability" seems to be the new catch-phrase from the Demos New New Labour think tank involving James Purnell.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/20...left-unite-sect

On Newsnight yesterday Kirstie Wark (friend of Gordon Brown?) was enjoying badgering James Purnell who complained that she asked him eight times about his resignation letter after she had promised to ask him only twice.

Old Hattersley joined in the kicking, via a video link, presumably to protect Kirstie from the saliva spray.

Plus some great shots of Kirstie tottering uncertainly across the studio on ludicrously high heels while looking at the wrong camera.

Altogether quite entertaining.

HOLA446
HOLA447
63 per cent female; 23 per cent disabled; 27 per cent

non-white; 51 per cent aged over 40 years; 21 per cent aged over 50 years; 5 per cent aged over 60

years; 9 per cent non-heterosexual; and individuals with a mix of eight different religions/beliefs.

Can you imagine the banging xmas party at this place? :lol:

Then again, they could probably avoid this by saying xmas is not politically correct and not having one.