House Price Crash Forum

Renting In London?

rw42

HOLA441

Hi all,

Having given up on buying at any time in the next year+, i'm now looking to rent somewhere nearer to work.

At the moment i'm living at home (Ruislip), and working in Aldgate. I'm obviously saving a packet by paying parents a low rent for room+food rather than paying market rate, but it takes me about 90 mins each way to get to work.

Everywhere i look in london seems to base rents on what it'd cost to pay the mortgage for the flat, and i've no real ideas which areas are nice/nasty!

I've been looking at 1 bed flats (not studios) in wapping sort of area - very near work, but only just about starting to come into what i'd think is a reasonable budget (~800 a month). Anyone care to suggest any other areas? Ideally would be walking distance of aldgate station, supermarket likewise. Internet access and pubs a bonus!

Cheers.

HOLA442
HOLA443

I suggest you get a bike and draw a 15 minute cycling radius around your workplace. Then choose different parts of the zone to explore for rental possibilies on www.globrix.com. If you want to be within walkable distance of Aldgate, you'll have to pay an arm and a leg, so extending your search and cycling to work will save money and give you a better quality of life.

HOLA444
Hi all,

Having given up on buying at any time in the next year+, i'm now looking to rent somewhere nearer to work.

At the moment i'm living at home (Ruislip), and working in Aldgate. I'm obviously saving a packet by paying parents a low rent for room+food rather than paying market rate, but it takes me about 90 mins each way to get to work.

Everywhere i look in london seems to base rents on what it'd cost to pay the mortgage for the flat, and i've no real ideas which areas are nice/nasty!

I've been looking at 1 bed flats (not studios) in wapping sort of area - very near work, but only just about starting to come into what i'd think is a reasonable budget (~800 a month). Anyone care to suggest any other areas? Ideally would be walking distance of aldgate station, supermarket likewise. Internet access and pubs a bonus!

Cheers.

Somewhere in east London on the district line - like Bow perhaps.

HOLA445
HOLA446

That part of London is overpriced and not particularly nice in my opinion - you're paying a premium to live centrally. I think thats the main reason why people move there and I think that they normally move on pretty fast. However if you dont want to commute its your only option. If you are into cycling or dont mind a short bus ride then consider Dalston, London FIelds, Stoke Newington area. Thats where I would personaly go if I was in your situation.

HOLA447
That part of London is overpriced and not particularly nice in my opinion - you're paying a premium to live centrally. I think thats the main reason why people move there and I think that they normally move on pretty fast. However if you dont want to commute its your only option. If you are into cycling or dont mind a short bus ride then consider Dalston, London FIelds, Stoke Newington area. Thats where I would personaly go if I was in your situation.

Thanks, will give them a look.

There is something about the train ride to/from work that just turns me into a zombie - after 10 mins on a train i'm half asleep, and feeling like i need about 5 coffees to wake up. I don't ride atm and don't really fancy it in london, quite happy walking fairly long distances though. Buses i'm always wary about relying on - never there when you need them!

HOLA448

Riding in London is very easy, despite what some people say.

It's mostly flat in the centre for starters, which helps, and traffic isn't a problem unless you ride like an idiot or aren't paying attention.

The reason we have more accidents with bikes in London is simply because there are more bikes and cars, and TBH the only really bad accidents I've seen it's usually the cyclists fault for failing to look properly or doing obviously stupid things (like sitting in a lorry driver's blind spot just to be a few feet further infront).

I ride in every day, a 9 mile journey, with no helmet and it's very safe and I do not feel like i'm in danger at all because I make sure i'm aware of what's going on around me.

HOLA449
Riding in London is very easy, despite what some people say.

It's mostly flat in the centre for starters, which helps, and traffic isn't a problem unless you ride like an idiot or aren't paying attention.

The reason we have more accidents with bikes in London is simply because there are more bikes and cars, and TBH the only really bad accidents I've seen it's usually the cyclists fault for failing to look properly or doing obviously stupid things (like sitting in a lorry driver's blind spot just to be a few feet further infront).

I ride in every day, a 9 mile journey, with no helmet and it's very safe and I do not feel like i'm in danger at all because I make sure i'm aware of what's going on around me.

+1. Road sense, anticipation and proper road positioning are more important for safety and visibility than stupid polystyrene hats and dayglo tabards.

I go round Highbury Corner every day and occasionally I see young gentlemen of the chav persuasion cycling nonchalently the wrong way round. The annoying thing is not that they will eventually end up the subject of some wilting flowers tied to a lamp post, but that their statistics will confirm the view of non-cyclists that it's really dangerous to be on a bike in London...

Anyway, if you're worried about London cycling, take an A-Z and work out a backstreet/off road route. Any bits you're not sure about, just get off and walk your bike. It will still be faster/cheaper/healthier than any other method of commuting.

Edited by Austin Allegro

HOLA4410
+1. Road sense, anticipation and proper road positioning are more important for safety and visibility than stupid polystyrene hats and dayglo tabards.

I tend to wear a bright yellow stripe in anything short of bright sunlight - and also when walking on some of our roads. But I certainly wouldn't impair my senses by wearing some silly hat. If you lack confidence, get onto a training course!

I used to commute (by bike) in London, but that was many years ago. When I moved away I felt far more threatened, because suddenly the motorists were faster than me (no great surprise) and less alert than Londoners (ouch)!

More recently my impressions in London are that a lot of negative stereotypes tend to be true, with idiots on bikes doing illegal and dangerous things that put them in conflict with others, including innocent pedestrians and responsible cyclists. Does it feel like that if you're there full-time, or is that more a visitor's impression?

HOLA4411
I tend to wear a bright yellow stripe in anything short of bright sunlight - and also when walking on some of our roads. But I certainly wouldn't impair my senses by wearing some silly hat. If you lack confidence, get onto a training course!

I used to commute (by bike) in London, but that was many years ago. When I moved away I felt far more threatened, because suddenly the motorists were faster than me (no great surprise) and less alert than Londoners (ouch)!

More recently my impressions in London are that a lot of negative stereotypes tend to be true, with idiots on bikes doing illegal and dangerous things that put them in conflict with others, including innocent pedestrians and responsible cyclists. Does it feel like that if you're there full-time, or is that more a visitor's impression?

To be fair I would probably get lumped into the 'idiots on bikes' category as I don't wait at traffic lights etc..

However, I do ride safely despite what you may think. I don't just soar through traffic lights regardless, and I won't try and barge through a busy pedestrian crossing. I always weigh up the options, and decide whether to jump a light or not. If I think there's any danger, i'll wait, but i'm not going to lose my momentum just because the light is still red 10 seconds after the pedestrian has gotten out of the way.

And yeah, cycle helmets are a waste of time. They don't offer any real protection compared to a proper motorbike helmet, and they seem to give the wearer a false sense of invulnerability. They also increase the likelihood of being paralysed due to a higher chance of rotational neck injuries.