House Price Crash Forum

Computer Gone Odd

HOLA441
HOLA442

started this morning< have only visited hpc and bbc sites

i get capitalisation unless i turn caps on then i get lower case

i cant do commas or backspace or click icons in outlook express if i press full stop or comma now i get <

cant do a number of things! did a system restore to a week back but no joy

if i highlight an icon on the desktop it highlights twenty five others (cant type numbers either) then get dialog box saying do you want to do twenty five in explorer it will slow your computer down

any ideas? just about got limited functionality to post this

HOLA443
started this morning< have only visited hpc and bbc sites

i get capitalisation unless i turn caps on then i get lower case

i cant do commas or backspace or click icons in outlook express if i press full stop or comma now i get <

cant do a number of things! did a system restore to a week back but no joy

if i highlight an icon on the desktop it highlights twenty five others (cant type numbers either) then get dialog box saying do you want to do twenty five in explorer it will slow your computer down

any ideas? just about got limited functionality to post this

Have you got Sticky Keys turned on? Press shift five times in succession.

HOLA444

ive pressed shift five times< no difference it types an arrow instead of comma and opens a new window if i click add reply or any link

cant get any numericals out of it< numericals bring up !"£$%%^&*() in lower case OR CAPS mode

cant type any numbers and cant highlight and copy?paste or it highlights everything< this is without aux keyboard or with aux keyboard makes no difference

thx anyway

HOLA445
ive pressed shift five times< no difference it types an arrow instead of comma and opens a new window if i click add reply or any link

cant get any numericals out of it< numericals bring up !"£$%%^&*() in lower case OR CAPS mode

cant type any numbers and cant highlight and copy?paste or it highlights everything< this is without aux keyboard or with aux keyboard makes no difference

thx anyway

Have you a shift lock key? If you have shift lock on then any number would come out as the symbol on the key. I would suspect you either have shift lock on or one of your shift keys is stuck down

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

update

its either hair or dust gone under the keys, or the usb to hub connection shorted or a component on it shorted, am ok now, but in a moment will plug the usb hub back in and see if that brings the fault back, right now all's normal.

i'm favouring the hair and dust under the keys as the problem, i found some 3 or 4 grey :( hairs and fluff under a key, i also blew the keyboard (no not like that!) a lot, but then prob came back, blew some more, removed hairs, seems ok. will post this now and post again later today to tell you if that fixed it so anyone gets a similar prob can remedy by reading this thread and not paying some cowboy it 'expert' £200 for nothing

HOLA449
sounds like they both shared some downloaded update that was misinterpreted?

anyway mine behaving now, i am leaning toward thinking it was hair under the keys - once the hair did something to the circuit it remains that way until reboot.

if it turns out to still be a loose usb wire or some such, then ditto on the reboot.

but so far i'm 99% sure its hair or fluff under the keys that caused it.

my thanks to the posters who tried to chip in with some help, no one would have guessed it was a hairware error :lol:

You know, if you have a proper keyboard (not a laptop keyboard!) then you should be able to 'pop-out' the keys to clean them. Always take a picture of the keyboard first though!

http://www.ehow.com/video_2026_clean-computer-keyboard.html

HOLA4410

We have two laptops in our house. Both, at the same time, decided that the " and @ characters would be switched over. No idea why, especially not why both would decide to do it at the same time.

HOLA4411
We have two laptops in our house. Both, at the same time, decided that the " and @ characters would be switched over. No idea why, especially not why both would decide to do it at the same time.

sounds like they both shared some downloaded update that was misinterpreted?

anyway mine behaving now, i am leaning toward thinking it was hair under the keys - once the hair did something to the circuit it remains that way until reboot.

if it turns out to still be a loose usb wire or some such, then ditto on the reboot.

but so far i'm 99% sure its hair or fluff under the keys that caused it.

my thanks to the posters who tried to chip in with some help, no one would have guessed it was a hairware error :lol:

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

Pretty sure you have swithched over to US English keyboard layout. Remember they don't have a £ key on thiers only the $ and the £ key is next to the ". It can be done with an update. Check it.

Control Panel

keyboard

Select uk

HOLA4416

I just hacked into your compuer and had a look round, nothing seems wrong. Probably just a glitch.

Oh and those photos.....naughty naughty.

HOLA4417
Pretty sure you have swithched over to US English keyboard layout. Remember they don't have a £ key on thiers only the $ and the £ key is next to the ". It can be done with an update. Check it.

Control Panel

keyboard

Select uk

Other half mentioned that Swedish keyboards had that arrangement. She is Swedish which is made it seem weird that both puters did it at about the same time - perhaps they've started automatically detecting nationality or ancestry of the user now?

HOLA4418
I just hacked into your compuer and had a look round, nothing seems wrong. Probably just a glitch.

Oh and those photos.....naughty naughty.

Well they both belong to other half so she's obviously been checking out some of her homelands most popular exports (see post above).

HOLA4419

Looks like it's changed from UK to US keyboard layout....

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
^ What he said or you installed Windows on Mac laptops or tried using Mac keyboards on Windows machines.

Nope. One's a Sony Vaio running XP, the other an EPC ney book thing wi Linux. Haven't installed anything on either lately.

They both seem to be back to normal now though.

HOLA4422

Archived