House Price Crash Forum

Re-possessed And Have To Rent

Guest worthless_site

HOLA441
Guest chrisbrighton
Amazing with all the combined wisdom on here, it has taken all these posts for someone to come up with the correct answer.

I too have been stitched up by landlords and agents,it is now me doing the stitching up. I have my tenancy agreement in a fictitious name, when I come to leave I will withold the last 2 months to get my deposit back because I know that they will come up with anything to withold it.

It costs money to do credit checks so they dont do them. They work from what you tell them, most people will let on to the fact that they have a bad credit history and even pay the 200 odd quid up front to the agent so they can be declined. Amazing but true.

I found this out by asking for my copy of the credit check from a big agent, it is my right ( so I said). They didnt have it imediately but I persisted through head office mis-quoting the data protection act ( as they all do). I finally did get a copy and it was nice to force them to spend some of the money I had given them.

Anyway logic should tell us that the uncredit worthy are'nt all homeless.

Amazes me that anyone would boast about being a fraudster

Edited by chrisbrighton

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
Guest barebear
Amazes me that anyone would boast about being fraudster

Erm get out of your moral high chair.

I'm doing nothing more than frauding someone who is frauding me. I pay a tennants registration fee of 200 quid which includes a credit check they DONT do, that is their fraud. They then lie about damages to keep my deposit , MORE fraud.

They are relying on you to be honest but they arent honest with you. Every con relys on this.

Jeez its no wonder tennants have'nt got any sodding rights in this country if people like you are happy to go along with it.

HOLA443
I hate cliche's , exactly what does two wrongs dont make a right supposed to mean ? It seems to me its just stating the obvious.

Heres one, a right after a wrong doen't make the wrong right.

heh I cringed when i posted that cliche; too lazy to think of something more eloquent.

My (least) favourite is when people say "at the end of the day..."

How about "at the beginning of the evening..."

HOLA444
HOLA445
Guest barebear
heh I cringed when i posted that cliche; too lazy to think of something more eloquent.

My (least) favourite is when people say "at the end of the day..."

How about "at the beginning of the evening..."

I dont know man, ' at the end of the day ' does conjure up a feeling of what its trying to say, you couldnt say beginning of the evening because it wouldnt be the end of the day and would leave the listener wondering if there was something more to come.

My current favorite is, he/she turned around and said. If you ask ' did they have their back to you then?' the look of confusion always makes me laugh.

See yer later is another one, same look of confusion when you ask what time.

I try to styay clear of them but occaisionly I slip up and catch my self drawling ' yeh laters' or something stupid.

HOLA446
Not sure where this assumption of not doing credit checks comes from, all agents I've rented through have done credit checks. I know this because the company that does it for them have at times called me to confirm some details.

Same here for the last 3 times and they all wanted photo-ID too.

Maybe he is renting a caravan.

HOLA447
Guest barebear
Not sure where this assumption of not doing credit checks comes from, all agents I've rented through have done credit checks. I know this because the company that does it for them have at times called me to confirm some details.

There is credit checks and there is credit checks.

Eg Virgin and BT do a very watered down check.

If there gonna do one the clue is what type of information they ask for, i.e address history. If youve lived abroad for the last 3 years or are young and lived with your parents,your name wont come up on a simple electoral role check.

Ive rented with 3 of the big ones not one has done a check, furthermore the application form only went back 3 years for addresses, so when I said I lived abroad and my name was John Smith, exactly what check could or did they do.

They did to an employment check though. Oh and another asked how much I earnt and had a sliding scale to what you could afford for your income.

If in doubt ask for a copy of the results. Tis your right and you have paid for them to do it.

HOLA448
HOLA449
There is credit checks and there is credit checks.

Eg Virgin and BT do a very watered down check.

If there gonna do one the clue is what type of information they ask for, i.e address history. If youve lived abroad for the last 3 years or are young and lived with your parents,your name wont come up on a simple electoral role check.

Ive rented with 3 of the big ones not one has done a check, furthermore the application form only went back 3 years for addresses, so when I said I lived abroad and my name was John Smith, exactly what check could or did they do.

They did to an employment check though. Oh and another asked how much I earnt and had a sliding scale to what you could afford for your income.

If in doubt ask for a copy of the results. Tis your right and you have paid for them to do it.

Oi Fraudi

Side question is it a criminal offence to sign a contract knowing your giving a fake name? or is it a civil matter?

HOLA4410
Guest barebear
Oi Fraudi

Side question is it a criminal offence to sign a contract knowing your giving a fake name? or is it a civil matter?

Depends if you have intent to defraud or not or to permanly deprive another of their goods or services.

Lying on ones tennancy application to get a place and you subsequently pay for it is no fraud even if you miss payments. If however you make off with the goods and never pay and have lied on your application then that could be construed as fraud but it aint clear cut. For example you can rent a car and not give it back, as long as you dont sell it you havent stolen it even if you dont pay.

In my case I pay to live in this property, although I've been economical with the truth on the application form there is no intent to defraud.

It would be interesting to see what you think fraud actually is.

If a letting agent says there is a hole in the carpet and witholds some of your deposit when there is actually no hole is that fraud ? I think so as it is attempting to permantly deprive me of my money.

HOLA4411
Guest barebear
Oi Fraudi

You can use whatever name you choose. As said above its proving if there is intent to defraud.

HOLA4412
You can use whatever name you choose. As said above its proving if there is intent to defraud.

Bro i asked me mate big dave about this.

Basically the issue you have got is you don't have a tenacy agreement (the agreement is in someone else's name) so if there was ever an issue it gets exploded.

You can also be done for fraude getting goods and services via deception. It is actually a criminal offence to sign a contract as someone else other than yourself.

So why do it?

BTW how do you pay the rent? in cash?

HOLA4413
Guest barebear
Bro i asked me mate big dave about this.

Basically the issue you have got is you don't have a tenacy agreement (the agreement is in someone else's name) so if there was ever an issue it gets exploded.

You can also be done for fraude getting goods and services via deception. It is actually a criminal offence to sign a contract as someone else other than yourself.

So why do it?

BTW how do you pay the rent? in cash?

Sorry thats just not true, I can call myself Mickey Mouse if I like and sign agreements in that name. My name is xxx but Im also known as YYY. Many actors do this, Elton John,Michael Caine and many others, all assumed names.

I pay the rent via DD from my bank account in my other name. Nobody has ever queried it,they just take the money

HOLA4414
Sorry thats just not true, I can call myself Mickey Mouse if I like and sign agreements in that name. My name is xxx but Im also known as YYY. Many actors do this, Elton John,Michael Caine and many others, all assumed names.

I pay the rent via DD from my bank account in my other name. Nobody has ever queried it,they just take the money

Sounds a load of rubbish to me - Why can't the Landlord trace you through your bank?

http://www.thesite.org/homelawandmoney/ask...aredofbeingsued

HOLA4415
Guest barebear
Sounds a load of rubbish to me - Why can't the Landlord trace you through your bank?

http://www.thesite.org/homelawandmoney/ask...aredofbeingsued

Banks wont give your information to a landlord unless you authorise it.

Anyhow its not paid to the landlord its paid to the letting agent,they in turn under the data protection act cant give someone my bank details. Furthermore anybody can pay my rent, I could pay yours.They dont care where the money comes from.

Sometimes (rarely) data protection can work in your favour.

How does your link refer to what Im saying ??

Edited by barebear

HOLA4416
Banks wont give your information to a landlord unless you authorise it.

Anyhow its not paid to the landlord its paid to the letting agent,they in turn under the data protection act cant give someone my bank details. Furthermore anybody can pay my rent, I could pay yours.They dont care where the money comes from.

Sometimes (rarely) data protection can work in your favour.

How does your link refer to what Im saying ??

Fair enough, it doesn't - as long as any references you give are bogus or they refuse to help the Landlord in tracing you (like the UNI does in the link)

OK, so you pretend you're someone else. You could even pretend to be another real person (or would that then be identity fraud?)

Anyway, you stop paying the rent and in the last few months, the Landlord effectively dripfeeds your deposit back in lieu of rent.

However, if you have to put down a 1 and 1/2 month deposit, how do you ensure that you only pay 1/2 the rent one month?

I guess you round it up in your favour do you?

HOLA4417

I agree with Barebear. As long as you aren't impersonating someone else, there is no reason why you can't be known by several names.

If Barebear does have a bank account under his 'other' name, then that might be why he clears the credit check!

I also agree with Barebear's fight fire with fire attitude to letting agencies. When I used to rent, my letting agency tried to keep my deposit. They sent me a letter saying the grass was too long and I hadn't emptied the wheelie bin amongst other things. I threatened to sue them and said I would use their letter as evidence that they were fleecing me as its the councils job to empty the bin. In the end they send me a fake invoice from a ficticious cleaning company for £92 and said they would refund my deposit apart from the £92. I couldn't be bothered to sue them for the £92.

Barebear has had it though when they bring in ID cards.

Edited by Cygnus Alpha

HOLA4418
Guest barebear
I agree with Barebear. As long as you aren't impersonating someone else, there is no reason why you can't be known by several names.

If Barebear does have a bank account under his 'other' name, then that might be why he clears the credit check!

I also agree with Barebear's fight fire with fire attitude to letting agencies. When I used to rent, my letting agency tried to keep my deposit. They sent me a letter saying the grass was too long and I hadn't emptied the wheelie bin amongst other things. I threatened to sue them and said I would use their letter as evidence that they were fleecing me as its the councils job to empty the bin. In the end they send me a fake invoice from a ficticious cleaning company for £92 and said they would refund my deposit apart from the £92. I couldn't be bothered to sue them for the £92.

Barebear has had it though when they bring in ID cards.

At last someone who knows what they're talking about and surprise surprise its a bear. Funny all those contrary to my point of view were bulls.

Well Mr Bulls I am no fraudster in the true meaning of the word just someone preventing someone else from stealing my money.

The point about I.D cards could be interesting, I wonder how qualified a dickhead letting agent will be to spot a good forgery.

Tinternet will be full of them for novelty purposes of course.

HOLA4419
Guest barebear
Fair enough, it doesn't - as long as any references you give are bogus or they refuse to help the Landlord in tracing you (like the UNI does in the link)

OK, so you pretend you're someone else. You could even pretend to be another real person (or would that then be identity fraud?)

Anyway, you stop paying the rent and in the last few months, the Landlord effectively dripfeeds your deposit back in lieu of rent.

However, if you have to put down a 1 and 1/2 month deposit, how do you ensure that you only pay 1/2 the rent one month?

I guess you round it up in your favour do you?

Yeh that is a problem. Im leaning towards witholding the last 2 months then sending money to cover the extra half month. It takes 3 months round here to get an eviction order from court.

HOLA4420
Depends if you have intent to defraud or not or to permanly deprive another of their goods or services.

Lying on ones tennancy application to get a place and you subsequently pay for it is no fraud even if you miss payments. If however you make off with the goods and never pay and have lied on your application then that could be construed as fraud but it aint clear cut. For example you can rent a car and not give it back, as long as you dont sell it you havent stolen it even if you dont pay.

In my case I pay to live in this property, although I've been economical with the truth on the application form there is no intent to defraud.

It would be interesting to see what you think fraud actually is.

If a letting agent says there is a hole in the carpet and witholds some of your deposit when there is actually no hole is that fraud ? I think so as it is attempting to permantly deprive me of my money.

You are thinking about the old Theft Act based offences; there is now no need for an intention to permanently deprive.

Under the new Fraud Act, both examples are fraud.

- You say something that you know is untrue or misleading

- You intend by making that representation to make a gain for yourself (achieving a tenancy agreement without having to pay 6 months rent in advance or provide a guarantor) or to expose another to a risk of loss (that you may not pay the rent because of your financial position that you know they will see as less than ideal)

Edited by mikeymadman