House Price Crash Forum

Help To Pick Good Rental Location In S/w Manchester/cheshire

HOLA441
  • Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

Ok, so a couple of houses I've been watching have been taken off rightmove. Supply of 3 beds below £1000pm with 1km of Altrincham is (I think) low. Not looking good at the moment...

3 bedroom house to rent in Bowdon 3 beds, WA14

?

I know it's another end terrace with a back yard rather than garden but it's positionally pretty good. I can't remember your children requirements but 2 primaries within walking distance, local Co-op nearby, 2 minute walk up to the pubs in Bowdon, 20 minutes walk into Hale/Alty, Cricket/hockey club just over the road etc etc.

HOLA443

Thanks for still humouring me.

Only the one child (2yrs), 3 bed is what we're looking at. Terraced is fine, it looks nice and the price is within budget. I'm ok with street parking but its the wife who is particular about other things. Which leads me onto the 3 problems we have (in most likely priority):

1) Although a garden isn't a pre-requisite, any backyard has to be big enough for a growing toddler to run/ride around in

2) We're looking for furnished as we'll have no furniture although not really pushed my wife on this issue if a really good house showed up (hasn't yet)

3) Its a little bit further from Altrincham than we would like but having Hale in between does help

Hilditch also have a 3 bedder on Cedar Road, Hale which sounds perfect but they don't have internal pics to see what's it like. http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/property-14105256.html?minPrice=800&maxPrice=900&minBedrooms=3&displayPropertyType=houses&radius=1.0&oldDisplayPropertyType=houses&pageNumber=1&backToListURL=%2Fproperty-to-rent%2Ffind.html%3FsearchType%3DRENT%26locationIdentifier%3DREGION%255E11649%26insId%3D1%26radius%3D1.0%26displayPropertyType%3Dhouses%26minBedrooms%3D3%26maxBedrooms%3D%26minPrice%3D800%26maxPrice%3D900%26maxDaysSinceAdded%3D%26retirement%3D%26sortByPriceDescending%3D%26_includeLetAgreed%3Don%26primaryDisplayPropertyType%3D%26secondaryDisplayPropertyType%3D%26oldDisplayPropertyType%3D%26oldPrimaryDisplayPropertyType%3D%26letType%3D%26letFurnishType%3D%26houseFlatShare%3Dfalse%26x%3D22%26y%3D9

Over the past month I've noticed that the 4 or 5 houses (North - blue dots) in the £600-£750 bracket (which is where I'd like to be) all gone, leaving the £850+ ones behind. Asking around people we know at the moment but not hearing about anything so only getting content off rightmove which is another problem I suppose as not all landlords will be via agency

This is new (I think) Obviously not the best part of town but beggers can't be choosers

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/property-28458986.html?minPrice=700&maxPrice=900&minBedrooms=3&displayPropertyType=houses&radius=3.0&oldDisplayPropertyType=houses&letFurnishType=furnished&pageNumber=1&backToListURL=%2Fproperty-to-rent%2Ffind.html%3FlocationIdentifier%3DREGION%255E11649%26minPrice%3D700%26maxPrice%3D900%26minBedrooms%3D3%26displayPropertyType%3Dhouses%26radius%3D3.0%26oldDisplayPropertyType%3Dhouses%26letFurnishType%3Dfurnished

She did also ask me to check out what we could get in Didsbury for similar money and that was even more pathetic, unless you want to live in Burnage, Withington or HMO neighbours from hell.

HOLA444

Hilditch also have a 3 bedder on Cedar Road, Hale which sounds perfect but they don't have internal pics to see what's it like. http://www.rightmove...6x%3D22%26y%3D9

The same agent has this one on the same road, at the same price. I've not followed this thread closely so maybe you've already dismissed it.

http://www.jhilditch...erty-Freda.html

We had a viewing of a newer build £795pm 2 bed house on Byrom Street in 2008 but decided to keep our costs down with a cheaper alternative. There seems to be quite a few BTLs along that street.

HOLA445

The same agent has this one on the same road, at the same price. I've not followed this thread closely so maybe you've already dismissed it.

http://www.jhilditch...erty-Freda.html

We had a viewing of a newer build £795pm 2 bed house on Byrom Street in 2008 but decided to keep our costs down with a cheaper alternative. There seems to be quite a few BTLs along that street.

Got that in my saved properties. Trouble is the picture of the attic room doesn't help - although my mother in law is short so it might work :lol:

Byrom Street seems very much like that, if you check out an agency called rooftops they must have 8-10 2 bed terraces on Byrom St (last time I looked) various states of condition but very much a strong BTL area. Not that's necessarily a bad thing, we are trying to rent after all.

HOLA446

I'm getting an impression that perhaps you haven't been round any of these yet?

If that's the case I'd take a Saturday to have a look round as many as possible in the areas you're interested in. Houses and areas can look totally different once you get inside them. It might help you decide whether your priority is location or amenity and we all have differeing views on that.

You've not mentioned schools, but with a 2 yr old you're looking at that in 24 months or so.

For instance, I was at a meeting Thursday night considering the new development of the Bollin Primary where kids are moving from the Stamford Park primary and they're changing from 1 form to 2 form entry. So you could be living next door to Stampford Park and find your child is going to the Bollin. Not in the next 6 months obviously, but it'll come round and bite you pretty fast, believe me.

HOLA447

I have viewed a few houses so far but they were "NO"s because they were too far away or no outside space (Byrom St). That's why the search has narrowed to such a central area - my wife is a townie, doesn't drive, doesn't work and likes to go out doing things with our son so doesn't want to be stuck in the sticks. But I'm a bit busy at the moment (struggling to arrange viewings) and my wife is abroad for a few more weeks

The most surprising thing is how few houses there are to rent but how many there are to buy on the outskirts for £200K.

HOLA448

I have viewed a few houses so far but they were "NO"s because they were too far away or no outside space (Byrom St). That's why the search has narrowed to such a central area - my wife is a townie, doesn't drive, doesn't work and likes to go out doing things with our son so doesn't want to be stuck in the sticks. But I'm a bit busy at the moment (struggling to arrange viewings) and my wife is abroad for a few more weeks

The most surprising thing is how few houses there are to rent but how many there are to buy on the outskirts for £200K.

Blue dots it is then. Or give your missus the laptop and let her sort it out...........:P

Edit: And the planning permission for extending Bollin Primary from 1 to 2 form entry was passed last night. Which means it becomes the main primary in the Bollin/Altrincham catchment. It doesn't appear to be on your criteria list for some reason but when your son is 4 it will be. Nota bene!

Edited by Le Karma Rouge

HOLA449

Blue dots it is then. Or give your missus the laptop and let her sort it out...........:P

Edit: And the planning permission for extending Bollin Primary from 1 to 2 form entry was passed last night. Which means it becomes the main primary in the Bollin/Altrincham catchment. It doesn't appear to be on your criteria list for some reason but when your son is 4 it will be. Nota bene!

I understand what you're saying but taking this strategy leaves 2 and a half years of not living in a convenient spot before suddenly its easy to take him to school. That won't wash with the wife (I drive everywhere, doesn't matter to me where we live)

The is quickly developing into a Wildean farce, it will undoubtedly be a folly we later regret. Supply of family rentals is lower than I previously understood it to be, they're not cheap but even increasing the budget by a reasonable amount yields few further options and anyway the housing is much less than perfect despite the cost. Renting long-term only makes sense for us if its cheap and these ain't. I am at the stage that I would be happy to stay where I am at the moment, just without the commitment entailed in the mortgage. Still, off to look at some houses this week.

To compound it all, despite moving quite a bit geographically closer to my workplace, my commute is longer due to the M-way network and ship canal getting in the way. Is the Warburton Bridge still 12p each way?

HOLA4410

I understand what you're saying but taking this strategy leaves 2 and a half years of not living in a convenient spot before suddenly its easy to take him to school. That won't wash with the wife (I drive everywhere, doesn't matter to me where we live)

The is quickly developing into a Wildean farce, it will undoubtedly be a folly we later regret. Supply of family rentals is lower than I previously understood it to be, they're not cheap but even increasing the budget by a reasonable amount yields few further options and anyway the housing is much less than perfect despite the cost. Renting long-term only makes sense for us if its cheap and these ain't. I am at the stage that I would be happy to stay where I am at the moment, just without the commitment entailed in the mortgage. Still, off to look at some houses this week.

To compound it all, despite moving quite a bit geographically closer to my workplace, my commute is longer due to the M-way network and ship canal getting in the way. Is the Warburton Bridge still 12p each way?

Yes, I fully understand. I only mentioned the school thing en passant.

I'm pretty sure the bridge is still 12p. I've not used it at rush hour. I think I went over it last summer during the day so can't really speak for peak times. Pleasant country route past Dunham though if you're the Cadishead side. I agree about price and availability of 3bed semi with garden family type. You're probably looking more towards Timperley/Sale or further towards Chorlton as mentioned on the other thread. Alternatively back over to Cheadle (Hulme)/Bramhall or perhaps the Heatons for older property on the Stockport side. Unfortunately I don't know North M/cr too well - Rachman or The Bolton Fury seem to know that area in much better detail. I'm sadly rather parochial I'm embarassed to say.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

The bridge is still 12p. With the trouble on the M6 this evening, I had to dart over that way. I didn't get lost but once I wasn't sure which was the right direction to take.

What's the area around the football ground like? Although they're small, I imagine its bad on a match day/night.

Are we still talking Alty here? I'm afraid I don't know but I believe it get's a bit tasty when Milwall turn up.

On the plus side, there's a park nearby and it's within walking distance of the shops, station etc. You'd have to check it out on a match day and evening for parking.

• 1 month later...
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Moved now and ended up pretty much where we wanted to be. Even the wife is happy after her initial reservations. Mostly confused at the moment by all these different coloured bins. WTF's recycling?

Congrats! Good luck - Feel free to ask (PM if you like) about local amentities. I don't use much so am probably little use to you, but I'll try my best.

Where did you end up? (roughly).

You put all your junk mail and free newspapers straight into the blue one, and all your booze bottles and cans into the black one. If there's anything left after that it's the little grey one.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

I know about the bins now, those helpful (jobsworth) binmen left a threatening red notice on my still full black bin. Not my fault, the previous tenants had stuffed it full of crap. Gerald, if you're watching, I have your post you git.

And the neighbours who are not content with parking in front of their own home but also park their second car infront of mine rather than across the road. Very unsporting if I may say so when I am still trying to carry boxes and/or a small child to and fro.

I don't think I can be suitably vague about location but its Hale side of Altrincham, walking distance to the either of their amenities.

HOLA4417

Before we moved in, my wife got cold feet on the actual house we have and tried a last minute offer on this one I referred to earlier, despite it having no yard to speak of. Unsurprisingly they knocked back an offer at 825 on the 950 asking price. Let agreed now but I make it a 2 month void there. Luckily the missus is now happy in the house I chose and we did get. We're due to complete on our flat in a couple of weeks so fingers crossed till then. If it goes through ok, I'll be a very happy man.

• 9 months later...
HOLA4418
  • 3 months later...
HOLA4419

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-ren...x%3D54%26y%3D16

10 mins walk to station. 20 mins to Mcr. Couple of mins to A34 bypass connects to M60. Low crime, garden, pleasant community 'village', with everything on your doorstep.

I would.

Not about renting, but just around the corner from there is this house. It's not up for rent but I just sent the EA a message via Rightmove. This sort of house is very much what I'm after buying, eventually.

http://www.rightmove...y-32765642.html

http://www.housepric...e.php?q=sk7+1el

Perhaps I shouldn't post details but its standing empty at the seller's own risk. I met the seller back in 2006. Elderly but very sprightly guy. Think he was approaching 90 years of age in 2006 according to my mother, and over 90 now. No kids I'm told. He and his frail ill wife moved far away above a few months ago to downsize, probably because of her ill health.

I met the seller as he visited my parents' house around the corner in 2006. He was at the front door, speaking with my mother as I pulled up in my car. He was at the doorstep collecting for charity. So a nice enough sort of guy overall but he was obsessed by the value of his house. Kept me talking for nearly 10 minutes. About how he'd bought his house as a newbuild in 1953 or 1954 for £2,500 and how it's now worth £260,000. He practically did a jig after telling me of its current value. When I told him that high house prices make it very hard for young people to get a home unless they get heavily into debt which is a big risk, his face was smiling but blank, a problem he was glad he didn't ever have, and he repeated how much his house was worth with a big smile and proud glint in his eye.

An attitude I think is deeply-set in to minds of older owners. They've accepted all the incredible rises in value but find it so difficult to process the idea of values falling. Last Summer I helped out an elderly couple in their back garden. Their garden backing on to my parents' garden. Only helped them with hedge trimmer for 30 minutes, and for free I should add. They looked at me as though I'd said something to disgust them when I said I was waiting to buy when house prices fell. I thought they'd be understanding. They knew I don't own a house, but not wanting them to think I was a total failure, I'd told them I'd been saving for a long time towards buying and had a healthy sized fund. The wife shook her head and said that she couldn't see them falling in price. They've got children and grandchildren to leave their house too but still can't grasp why they are so rejective of the idea prices can fall. Doesn't make any real difference to their own lives and not much difference to any beneficiaries when its passed down in inheritance after they die. Only got onto the subject in the first place because they told me they were 2nd owners of their house and bought for £3,750 back in late 50s.

Of course I could be wrong. Even now people are still buying houses like the one where elderly couple have downsized for a lot more than I think they are worth. Some morons probably will go and pay £300,000 for it soon after I've posted this.

300K_HPIman.jpg

post-12306-0-75074700-1303999970_thumb.jpg

HOLA4420