House Price Crash Forum

Help To Pick Good Rental Location In S/w Manchester/cheshire

HOLA441
  • Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
Word reached me today of an Iranian landlord with a few BTLs in Bramhall - and that he has one on Ashley Drive in Bramhall. That family home could be one of his stock.

Umm....good thing? - Cash rich, not likely to be an overstretched amateur Brit BTLer you mean? :unsure: There's a top end developer in the Hale area who is an Iranian structural engineer, seems to build rather pleasant houses. Recycling petrodollars perhaps......

The area is excellent and those 3 bed semis on Ashley Drive and surrounding roads have always been at the top end of the market price wise. I notice it's not on the market currently so presumably now let.

Edited by Red Kharma

HOLA443
Umm....good thing? - Cash rich, not likely to be an overstretched amateur Brit BTLer you mean? :unsure: There's a top end developer in the Hale area who is an Iranian structural engineer, seems to build rather pleasant houses. Recycling petrodollars perhaps......

The area is excellent and those 3 bed semis on Ashley Drive and surrounding roads have always been at the top end of the market price wise. I notice it's not on the market currently so presumably now let.

No way I can determine that; whether cash-rich and connected to some Iranian money, or highly-leveraged. Perhaps it isn't his - I was just feeling bad about it.

I know Ashley Drive well. It is ok I suppose, and the area too. They have priced that home competitively to get a tenants in.

Used to live very near to Ashley Drive for years, and still go back to the area now and then. Parade of shops around the corner... Spar, Vicky Allens Hair, Newsagents Laundrette - or the other way to the Bottle Stop Off-licence (Richard and the often very nice looking Bramhall girls behind the counter).

Cut through the passage from Ashley Drive to Fords Lane, Kitts Moss, across the road and cut through to... Robins Lane, where you had that Forbes Park of Harrison built homes at the dip and the roundabout... two sentry boxes at the entrance.

Hilariously used to have 2 very sentry-guards in those sentry boxes, fully kitted out in uniform - one with a torch and one reading a newspaper, but both made out of paper-mache. They both looked very real when viewed from the road side anyway, or in a passing car. Steve Bruce and Peter Schmeichel next-door-but-one neighbours at the top of Forbes for the beginning of the glory years, with loads of other footballers living nearby too.

Edited by friday

HOLA444
No way I can determine that; whether cash-rich and connected to some Iranian money, or highly-leveraged. Perhaps it isn't his - I was just feeling bad about it.

I know Ashley Drive well. It is ok I suppose, and the area too. They have priced that home competitively to get a tenants in.

Used to live very near to Ashley Drive for years, and still go back to the area now and then. Parade of shops around the corner... Spar, Vicky Allens Hair, Newsagents Laundrette - or the other way to the Bottle Stop Off-licence (Richard and the often very nice looking Bramhall girls behind the counter).

Cut through the passage from Ashley Drive to Fords Lane, Kitts Moss, across the road and cut through to... Robins Lane, where you had that Forbes Park of Harrison built homes at the dip and the roundabout... two sentry boxes at the entrance.

Hilariously used to have 2 very sentry-guards in those sentry boxes, fully kitted out in uniform - one with a torch and one reading a newspaper, but both made out of paper-mache. They both looked very real when viewed from the road side anyway, or in a passing car. Steve Bruce and Peter Schmeichel next-door-but-one neighbours at the top of Forbes for the beginning of the glory years, with loads of other footballers living nearby too.

:) Yep. Richard and the Bottle Stop are still there. Those fake guards were a bit bonkers although with the recent fad for match day breakins I suppose real life ones are now more appropriate. Funny who you bump into on the internet isn't it?

HOLA445
:) Yep. Richard and the Bottle Stop are still there. Those fake guards were a bit bonkers although with the recent fad for match day breakins I suppose real life ones are now more appropriate. Funny who you bump into on the internet isn't it?

It is indeed.

Ah. So if you knew about those paper-mache guards, which were there in their lit-sentry-boxes, Richard and the Bottle Stop, then you must know Bramhall well, and for quite a few years.

It is quite a nice village, and I wouldn't rule out buying there, although I don't know what Mr.Yogi means by referring to Bramhall as "Debtors Retreat."

HOLA446
It is indeed.

Ah. So if you knew about those paper-mache guards, which were there in their lit-sentry-boxes, Richard and the Bottle Stop, then you must know Bramhall well, and for quite a few years.

It is quite a nice village, and I wouldn't rule out buying there, although I don't know what Mr.Yogi means by referring to Bramhall as "Debtors Retreat."

I too know Bramhall very well, but as someone living nearby who does a lot of work there.

'Debtors Retreat' is the name given to Bramhall by many non-Bramhallites owing to the reputation many of its residents have for a fondness for displaying more wealth than is actually theirs!

I too remember the papier mache guards well. I have built and fitted a couple of kitchens in Forbes Park. I got paid OK in those cases, but have had so many problems getting my money in in Bramhall that I now treat any enquiries from there with suspicion.

There are also some genuine people there though!

;)

PS the Bottle Stop is currently embarked on a guerrilla marketing campaign. The A34 is plastered with fly-posters advertising booze deals.

I hope its not a sign that they are struggling.

HOLA447
I too know Bramhall very well, but as someone living nearby who does a lot of work there.

'Debtors Retreat' is the name given to Bramhall by many non-Bramhallites owing to the reputation many of its residents have for a fondness for displaying more wealth than is actually theirs!

I too remember the papier mache guards well. I have built and fitted a couple of kitchens in Forbes Park. I got paid OK in those cases, but have had so many problems getting my money in in Bramhall that I now treat any enquiries from there with suspicion.

There are also some genuine people there though!

;)

PS the Bottle Stop is currently embarked on a guerrilla marketing campaign. The A34 is plastered with fly-posters advertising booze deals.

I hope its not a sign that they are struggling.

The 'Debtors Retreat' explanation is amusing. I'll keep your experience of Bramhall and payments in mind.

Before they built Forbes Park, I'm told the site used to be Bramhall's waste-recycling point, but that was before my time.

I've also seen one of the off-licence fly-posters. More inclined to believe it is just typical of the owner's approach to promotion, and think I saw a few from 2003 onwards. I don't really know that him well at all but they seem to have made a fair success of their business over many years.

HOLA448
Guest theboltonfury
some good tips here. Nomadd especially knows the area well. I'm in Hale in one of the cheapest houses you can buy and similar properties are renting for about £650. This is 2 bed terrace with NO garden (as Nomadd says). If the cafe / restaurant culture of Hale is not something you will be taking advantage of on a regular basis (and I would think with a small child you wont be), then Timperley or sale will get you a better property for your money

Given that you live there (I have been in Ashley for the past 2 years) what are you seeing happen to Hale house prices. Thinking 3 bed semi types

HOLA449

Made a bit of a mistake today. Went to Dunham Massey for lunch (Axe & Cleaver) and drove back through Bowdon, Hale, Alty and she who must be obeyed is still keen on the area.

Not quite there but not far away, whats the bit aorund Oldfield Road and Seamon's Road, over Dunham way? Prices are cheaper and I can see its a bit further out but whats the snag?

I know they're sale not rent but this sort of thing:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sa...p;x=57&y=20

Edited by daiking

HOLA4410
Guest theboltonfury
Made a bit of a mistake today. Went to Dunham Massey for lunch (Axe & Cleaver) and drove back through Bowdon, Hale, Alty and she who must be obeyed is still keen on the area.

Not quite there but not far away, whats the bit aorund Oldfield Road and Seamon's Road, over Dunham way? Prices are cheaper and I can see its a bit further out but whats the snag?

I take it your visit to the Axe was met by a minimum 20 minute wait at the bar?

That's the area at the bottom of Altrincham up by the Golf Course. I have seen some houses round there and thought it a better area but it's definitely Altrincham (which is not a bad thing)

HOLA4411

Thats the Oldfield Brow estate. It has a so-so reputation, like the Broadheath estate on the other side of the canal, but I had a look at some houses round there once and they were big houses for the money (85K back then!) and the area looked reasonable.

If you're going to live in Alty though, you'll really want somewhere closer to the tram line for access to Manchester. Its a bit of a walk from there. I ended up near the Navigation Road tramstop. Prices are falling round me now.

EG, reduced from 230K, now 200K. Literally 2 mins from Alty center and the tram stop.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sa...%26radius%3D1.0

HOLA4412
I take it your visit to the Axe was met by a minimum 20 minute wait at the bar?

That's the area at the bottom of Altrincham up by the Golf Course. I have seen some houses round there and thought it a better area but it's definitely Altrincham (which is not a bad thing)

No, we gatecrashed some friends, bumped up their reservation and beat an hour wait for a table :) Bloody foreigners :rolleyes: Food was ok considering its a chain format (also been to the Romper Inn near the Airport). Popped into the adjacent farm shop (Little Heath?) so my wife can play at being a yummy mummy.

Thats the Oldfield Brow estate. It has a so-so reputation, like the Broadheath estate on the other side of the canal, but I had a look at some houses round there once and they were big houses for the money (85K back then!) and the area looked reasonable.

If you're going to live in Alty though, you'll really want somewhere closer to the tram line for access to Manchester. Its a bit of a walk from there. I ended up near the Navigation Road tramstop. Prices are falling round me now.

EG, reduced from 230K, now 200K. Literally 2 mins from Alty center and the tram stop.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sa...%26radius%3D1.0

I only drove through the area I've linked to as I missed a turning but I thought it looked ok and is clearly "cheap" (all things being relative). No charm or cachet to the area/property but solid housing for a family which is all I want. Provided we could sell our flat at peak -25% we could afford to buy at those prices tomorrow... Fortunately (is it?) a lack of sale activity is forcing our hand to stay put.

The trouble is a £200K home is still well above my means for a 75%LTV, 3.5x income mortgage, hence the original intent to rent.

HOLA4413
Guest theboltonfury
No, we gatecrashed some friends, bumped up their reservation and beat an hour wait for a table :) Bloody foreigners :rolleyes: Food was ok considering its a chain format (also been to the Romper Inn near the Airport). Popped into the adjacent farm shop (Little Heath?) so my wife can play at being a yummy mummy.

I only drove through the area I've linked to as I missed a turning but I thought it looked ok and is clearly "cheap" (all things being relative). No charm or cachet to the area/property but solid housing for a family which is all I want. Provided we could sell our flat at peak -25% we could afford to buy at those prices tomorrow... Fortunately (is it?) a lack of sale activity is forcing our hand to stay put.

The trouble is a £200K home is still well above my means for a 75%LTV, 3.5x income mortgage, hence the original intent to rent.

very interesting. That Alti house is probably available at 174k, the same house 1 mile away in Hale would be at least 100k more. I used to live on Wharf Road, just off Navigation Road, it seems that prices may be returning to some level of normality round there

HOLA4414
I used to live on Wharf Road, just off Navigation Road, it seems that prices may be returning to some level of normality round there

Yes, the Bridgewate Rd/ Brunswick Rd area just off the (Very Expensive) Navigation Road will do nicely. Good area, nice redeveloped park and close to the tram link.

This is small, but as cheap as they go. And flats with no parking used to cost £595 pm.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-ren....5%26index%3D70

HOLA4415
Guest theboltonfury
Yes, the Bridgewate Rd/ Brunswick Rd area just off the (Very Expensive) Navigation Road will do nicely. Good area, nice redeveloped park and close to the tram link.

This is small, but as cheap as they go. And flats with no parking used to cost £595 pm.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-ren....5%26index%3D70

And the real bonus is that they've just built a snooker club there!

PS the local garage there is highly recommended, Manor Garage (and no - it's not mine). Been going there for 10 years, and never had bad work or been ripped off once

• 8 months later...
HOLA4416

And a bump...

By hook or by crook I'm looking to move in a couple of months now. Need to start properly tracking places I'm interested in. My wife (who conducts commercial negotiation in this house) is looking in the region of 3 beds up to £1000pm with a view to finding one who'll accept closer to £800pm, ever the optimist.

She's now pretty much decided on Altrincham area within walking distance of the tram.

soemthing she likes: http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/property-24118027.html?locationIdentifier=POSTCODE%5E1624312&insId=1&pageNumber=1&fromSummary=true&backToListURL=%2Fproperty-to-rent%2Ffind.html%3FsearchType%3DRENT%26locationIdentifier%3DPOSTCODE%255E1624312%26insId%3D1%26radius%3D0.0%26displayPropertyType%3D%26minBedrooms%3D%26maxBedrooms%3D%26minPrice%3D%26maxPrice%3D%26maxDaysSinceAdded%3D%26retirement%3D%26sortByPriceDescending%3D%26_includeLetAgreed%3Don%26primaryDisplayPropertyType%3D%26secondaryDisplayPropertyType%3D%26oldDisplayPropertyType%3D%26oldPrimaryDisplayPropertyType%3D%26letType%3D%26letFurnishType%3D%26houseFlatShare%3Dfalse%26x%3D98%26y%3D9

Edited by daiking

HOLA4417

And a bump...

By hook or by crook I'm looking to move in a couple of months now. Need to start properly tracking places I'm interested in. My wife (who conducts commercial negotiation in this house) is looking in the region of 3 beds up to £1000pm with a view to finding one who'll accept closer to £800pm, ever the optimist.

You finally sell, then? Things were looking good on the viewings front last time you posted, so I guess it all went through in the end?

My cousin has just sold in Didsbury. Dropped just under 20% from her original asking price - been stuck on the market for 2 years - but I still feel she's got a very good deal as she bought years ago (..and has now got out at the right time; she plans on renting for a couple of years.)

Nomadd

HOLA4418

No such luck, some interest and even some false dawns but nothing concrete.

Instead we're going to look at moving and deal with the flat later. We've got a little more in our rental budget now too. Hopefully we'll be able to move quicily when the right opportunity comes along but one must know the market first.

Buying is even further away now than ever so we're a) trying to enjoy what money we have and B) not trying to plan our future on the basis of career, bigger house, work, retire, die.

HOLA4419

And a bump...

She's now pretty much decided on Altrincham area within walking distance of the tram.

soemthing she likes: http://www.rightmove...6x%3D98%26y%3D9

That's in a cracking location for walking into both Hale and Alty - within walking distance of the supermarkets, shops, cinema etc too, plus both Hale and Alty stations, but just far enough away not to be too noisy late on I would have thought and you've got good health centres etc just on the doorstep (St. John's road)

I don't know about the price particularly but the house itself looks very nicely done out. Worse outcome is you don't like it after 6 months and move on.......but good luck in any event - Keep us posted! RK

Edit: Does the security deposit of £1050 mentioned mean they've dropped it £100? Possibly.

Edited by Le Karma Rouge

HOLA4420

That's in a cracking location for walking into both Hale and Alty - within walking distance of the supermarkets, shops, cinema etc too, plus both Hale and Alty stations, but just far enough away not to be too noisy late on I would have thought and you've got good health centres etc just on the doorstep (St. John's road)

I don't know about the price particularly but the house itself looks very nicely done out. Worse outcome is you don't like it after 6 months and move on.......but good luck in any event - Keep us posted! RK

Edit: Does the security deposit of £1050 mentioned mean they've dropped it £100? Possibly.

Just looking to see whats about but this is one my wife has picked as liking, a lot. Seems big for this street though. Also Byrom and Bold street are one way with an atrocious parking situation.

Will keep an eye on it.

HOLA4421

And a bump...

soemthing she likes: http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/property-24118027.html?locationIdentifier=POSTCODE%5E1624312&insId=1&pageNumber=1&fromSummary=true&backToListURL=%2Fproperty-to-rent%2Ffind.html%3FsearchType%3DRENT%26locationIdentifier%3DPOSTCODE%255E1624312%26insId%3D1%26radius%3D0.0%26displayPropertyType%3D%26minBedrooms%3D%26maxBedrooms%3D%26minPrice%3D%26maxPrice%3D%26maxDaysSinceAdded%3D%26retirement%3D%26sortByPriceDescending%3D%26_includeLetAgreed%3Don%26primaryDisplayPropertyType%3D%26secondaryDisplayPropertyType%3D%26oldDisplayPropertyType%3D%26oldPrimaryDisplayPropertyType%3D%26letType%3D%26letFurnishType%3D%26houseFlatShare%3Dfalse%26x%3D98%26y%3D9

That would virtually make us neighbours !!

Yes, parking is bad, but 95% of the time I can park within 50m of my house. The odd occasion (eg church functions in the evenings) I have to park on Willow Tree Rd round the corner. You soon get used to not always being able to park outside your front door, but it is a small price to pay for probably one of the best locations in the north west... 2 supermarkets, Alty town centre, gym, cinema, ice rink, Hale night life / restaurants, parks, metrolink, airport, motorways, etc all close by...

Oh, and make sure you tuck your wing mirror in each night - you'll only forget once !

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA4422

I've been doing some research and found a few "suitable" properties on the Hale sid of Alty (red dots on the attached picture) except these tend to be terraces with no garden - nominally got small backyards.

So looking on the north side of Alty, you obviously get more for your money - 3 and 4 bed semis with garden and parking but what is this bit like? (see the blue dots for current rentals)

I could give specific houses but just trying to get an idea of the areas first rather than details of actual properties. Don't forget, all things regarding locations are relative and I live in Hulme at the moment ;)

alty.jpg

post-5383-12643742242035_thumb.jpg

HOLA4423

I've been doing some research and found a few "suitable" properties on the Hale sid of Alty (red dots on the attached picture) except these tend to be terraces with no garden - nominally got small backyards.

So looking on the north side of Alty, you obviously get more for your money - 3 and 4 bed semis with garden and parking but what is this bit like? (see the blue dots for current rentals)

I could give specific houses but just trying to get an idea of the areas first rather than details of actual properties. Don't forget, all things regarding locations are relative and I live in Hulme at the moment ;)

Compared to Hulme any of those "dots" will be like moving to Monaco;-) Obviously the red dots are more desirable areas - a rung or two upmarket, closer to the posher pubs / restaurants / shops etc. You may see one or two more scallys living in a blue dot, eg there is a council-type estate at the end of Oldfield Road, however they are all respectable areas. Maybe a slightly higher chance of opportunist crime on that side of town (but only a small one). Having lived on the Hale side, I would have no problem moving down the road for a more affordable property. Bigger house or location... your choice !

HOLA4424

Compared to Hulme any of those "dots" will be like moving to Monaco;-)

Ahah. Very true :)

The blue dots on the other side to Manchester Road to Oldfield Brow will all be fine (And theres still many nice houses down the Oldfield Road itself). To be honest, I've never understood why the 'tree roads' in your red dotted area are seen as preferable to the blue dots. The houses are smaller with parking problems. Yes you are closer to Hale, but if you can get into Alty theres no reason to go to Hale. I've been there 3 times in the last 7 years. Plus theres the Navi Road tram stop. And the English idyll that is the Navi Road chip shop. :)

Edited by CapitalistPiglet

HOLA4425