House Price Crash Forum

Buying!

porca misèria

HOLA441

Lucky escape - there is a triffid next door, a monster seagull lurking on the roof, and a mongoose in the upstairs neighbours window!

seriously though, best wishes on your hunt. It's all most of us want everybody to be able to find - a decent place at a decent price.

HOLA442

Good for you, are you sure that the place isn't a money pit?

How about the neighbours, any dangerous weirdos among them?

Any old coal mines below ground?

Enviro agency is always a good place to start.

Up my street used to be ok but they lost the plot imo over the years.

The Knowhere Guide used to be good as well.

Housepricecrash.Co.UK needs no explanation as one of the main sites I use and have used over the years.

HOLA443

It's genuine. South-facing roof, house is on a south-facing slope. And Devon is second only to Cornwall for solar energy within the UK.

My friends who installed solar panels in December had their electricity meter turning backwards in the five or six weeks before the meter got replaced by a modern one that could deal with local generation. If that's the story in the middle of winter, they'll be raking it in as daylight hours increase!

That presumably just means they use very little electricity? Raking it in or otherwise will presumably also depend on how much the panels cost and how much of that the taxpayer/electricity consumers pay in subsidies?

I would be very pleased if we could now convert sunlight into electricity so efficiently that it would make sense to do so in the UK. But I fear this whole solar panel thing is just a horrible government-sponsored malinvestment. For anyone who does not know what word means, it's basically like consumption except without the enjoyment.

HOLA444

I read this the other day

On the load side you total all devices you wish to power in terms of watts, multiply them by the duty cycle of hours/day (note with refridgeration, air-con the compressor is not actually running at all times the unit is "on"). This then gives you the amount you need to then install the correct system size. For example, your 1800W kettle that is only used for 15-minutes per day is just 450WH/day and could actually be powered by a single 200W panel (as long as the battery had sufficient storage). By contrast a 100W old-fashioned incandescant light bulb left on 24/7 would use 2400WH/day (2.4KWH/day) and need an array of 3 such panels.

It seems like you would need an awful lot of panels for them to be much use.

• 1 year later...
HOLA445

OK, so not buying until/unless £other-buyer pulls out.

A shame, 'cos this was a nice place at a much better price than I had anticipated paying. But it's become bidding-war territory, and I'd rather someone else gets a bargain than that we bid it up to where noone does. :(

It's just appeared for rent. Buggrit, if I'd known the other bidder was a BTL, I'd've at least bid the place up :angry:

HOLA446

It's just appeared for rent. Buggrit, if I'd known the other bidder was a BTL, I'd've at least bid the place up :angry:

It might have been bought by someone who had lived in it but has now decided to to rent it out. :unsure:

Besides, if it was a BTL landlord and you did outbid then he/she would have bought another property to rent out anyway.

HOLA447

It might have been bought by someone who had lived in it but has now decided to to rent it out. :unsure:

Besides, if it was a BTL landlord and you did outbid then he/she would have bought another property to rent out anyway.

Yeah, on reflection it's been nearly two years, which is a year longer than a pure BTL would've taken to do the necessary repair/modernisation just to rent it out.

It's asking a high price for a place that size. And no mention of the outhouse, from which I infer it's unlikely they've made anything useful of it (I'd've made it a utility room and a loo that's not the only bathroom - the plumbing was already there though in need of work).

HOLA448

It's genuine. South-facing roof, house is on a south-facing slope. And Devon is second only to Cornwall for solar energy within the UK.

My friends who installed solar panels in December had their electricity meter turning backwards in the five or six weeks before the meter got replaced by a modern one that could deal with local generation. If that's the story in the middle of winter, they'll be raking it in as daylight hours increase!

First thing to check is the EPC. The house needs to be D or above to qualify for the higher Feed-in tariff. Double check the EPC online as my estate agent had the wrong rating on the particulars.

Beware it can be extremely costly to upgrade old houses to get a decent rating - although the solar panels can contribute to an upgraded rating - but you'll need a new EPC to include it.

Solar power PV - if properly installed - can work extremely well in the UK and while it's not quite the licence to print money, it was - it's often worth doing. The cost of panels has reduced a lot in the last year or two. £6K should get you a 4KW array. It's looking like that for about 9-10 months of the year, we produce enough excess electricity to heat an immersion tank of hot water as well via an Imerson device. Payback is around 7-10 years. I'm a home worker though so peak demand is usually during the day as I time cooking/washing machine etc during peak output hours. Easily knocks 1/3 -2/3 off our electricity bill.

BTW, good luck with the rest of the house buying process. A wise friend of mine told me to try and enjoy it all. You won't do it very often, hopefully - so treat it as an interesting adventure.

Edited by StainlessSteelCat

HOLA449