House Price Crash Forum

Net Migration Up Again

chris25

HOLA441

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/immigration/8538318/Net-immigration-hits-six-year-high-in-blow-to-Coalition.html

Last year some 242,000 more people moved to the UK than left, after numbers leapt by around 45 per cent in just a year.

David Cameron has pledged to cut net immigration to the “tens of thousands” but the latest official figures show an upward trend in continuing instead.

And the rise has been partly driven by a sharp increase in the number of Eastern Europeans returning to the UK to look for work – a trend the Government’s recently imposed immigration cap cannot alter.

It has also been driven up by a 20 per cent fall in people emigrating, amid reports that many are put off by a rising cost of living abroad.

Separate figures, from the Office for National Statistics, showed one in five low-skilled jobs are now filled by migrants, fuelling concerns over jobs for British workers

Got to keep the ponzi going.

Don't worry there are plenty of jobs, houses and resources to go round.

• Replies 716
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/immigration/8538318/Net-immigration-hits-six-year-high-in-blow-to-Coalition.html

Hundreds of thousands of empty houses in London apparently, this is just the job.

There will be no solution to this problem whilst we remain in the EU. No matter how quickly people in the UK are leaving, they cannot outpace the rush coming in.

HOLA444

Anecdotally, my Missus has a thing for going to car boot sales on a Sunday, she loves finding tat going cheap then whacks it up on Ebay and makes a few quid.. It keeps her amused so what the heck.

What strikes me now at these car boots, is how it's pretty much all foreigners buying.. mainly Eastern Europeans. You hardly hear a native-English voice.

My partner haggles as hard as the Eastern Europeans, but the sellers seem to be grateful to finally speak to an English person and by all accounts give her a better discount.

This is in the heart of Northamptonshire countryside. the complexion of which has been changed permanently in the last 5 yrs.

HOLA445

Anecdotally, my Missus has a thing for going to car boot sales on a Sunday, she loves finding tat going cheap then whacks it up on Ebay and makes a few quid.. It keeps her amused so what the heck.

What strikes me now at these car boots, is how it's pretty much all foreigners buying.. mainly Eastern Europeans. You hardly hear a native-English voice.

My partner haggles as hard as the Eastern Europeans, but the sellers seem to be grateful to finally speak to an English person and by all accounts give her a better discount.

This is in the heart of Northamptonshire countryside. the complexion of which has been changed permanently in the last 5 yrs.

Yup a trend on motorbike forums is that you get a lot of Polish people turning up in large vans or 7.5 ton lorries and hoovering up 2nd hand bikes like no tomorrow. My Africa Twin was sold to such a bloke a couple years ago, his van was filled with motorbikes. Filled in the export part of the V5c. Bikers tend to like it because poles can't haggle for toffee.

HOLA446

Fantastic news!!! That's 245,000 additional tax payers.

Not.

Just seen the word "not" on your post, had to edit my post.

Yes that 245000 more unemployed whether existing residents or this lot, and plenty more downward pressure on wages, and a need for a town the size of Plymouth to house them. GRR

!Link to the wages war front line

Edited by bricor mortis

HOLA447

Same in Oldham -

There are some people who seem to come with bags the size of a house and fill it...

HOLA448
HOLA449

This has been discussed on this forum many times.

But, its a fact that immigrants create a net gain to the public coffers, despite all the verbose xenophobic rhetoric that will rear its head every time the topic comes up.

Damn lies and statistics. If that was the case then there would be no borders. Historically you may have had a point but it's different now, we have reached saturation point.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Damn lies and statistics. If that was the case then there would be no borders. Historically you may have had a point but it's different now, we have reached saturation point.

Look. Despite what you think of the government and policy makers in this country, there are intelligent people behind the scenes doing the calculations, and if immigration was bad for the UK, I 100% guarantee that it would not be happening.

Secondly, I don't see how any part of the UK is 'saturated'? Do you mean saturated by a race, creed, or colour that isn't pasty white and Christian?

HOLA4412

But, its a fact that immigrants create a net gain to the public coffers, despite all the verbose xenophobic rhetoric that will rear its head every time the topic comes up.

I bet they do, by effectively screwing down wages massively, eg in the care sector.

Edited by bricor mortis

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Is this a joke?

Everytime a low skilled immigrant with no money comes into the UK he puts a native Brit on the dole.

It is not the case if he is bringing wealth with him, or investing in the UK.

If immigration is a net gain to the public coffers than why this?

debt_rating.gif

uk_net_int_migration_rev09.gif

HOLA4415

I bet it does, by screwing down wages massively, eg in the care sector.

I don't make the rules, but if I did, I'd have every non-working British born chav sent to Antarctica to eek out a new life.

But, this is how things are, and you either accept it, or you don't. There is a big world out there, full of injustices.

Having Bogdan or Svetlana the care worker on your ward should be the least of your concerns.

HOLA4416

Look. Despite what you think of the government and policy makers in this country, there are intelligent people behind the scenes doing the calculations, and if immigration was bad for the UK, I 100% guarantee that it would not be happening.

Secondly, I don't see how any part of the UK is 'saturated'? Do you mean saturated by a race, creed, or colour that isn't pasty white and Christian?

Last year I found some data about this recent "flood" of immigrants from eastern Europe.

Data from the Department of Economics at University College London:

"in 2008-09 they totalled 0.91% of the population, and accounted for 0.96% of total government revenues." And that: "Immigrants accounted for a smaller share in government spending than their share of the population (for example 0.6% in 2008-09, which is far below their share in the overall population of 0.91%). Therefore, overall A8 immigrants made a net contribution to public finances."

(This "A8" means the 8 new Accession Countries.)

The researchers think that the main cause is that these immigrants "have a higher labour market attachment than natives with a labour market participation rate of 95% for men (83% among natives) and 80% for women (75% among natives)."

And they think that the deeper reason is that this immigrant population has higher average education than the native population: "We assign to the category "low education" all individuals who left full time education at 16 or earlier, the category "intermediate education" to all individuals who left full time education between the age of 17 and 20, and finally "high education" to all individuals who left full time education aged 21 or over. According to this classification, 32% of A8 men and 40% of A8 women are highly educated, while only 18% of native men and 16% of native women fall in this category. Conversely, the share of A8 migrants with a low education is around five times smaller than that of natives."

LINK: www.econ.ucl.ac.uk/cream/pages/CDP/CDP_18_09.pdf

Another interesting point is that all these numbers are actually quite small, around 1% or less. To much ado about very little really. Immigration is much more a red herring and/or scapegoat than a real problem.

Edited by Tired of Waiting

HOLA4417

It isn't a fact at all, because the figures that show a net contribution are not done on a proper cost benefit analysis basis.

One EU migrant worker may pay tax, but as a result a UK citizen has to be paid unemployment benefit or income support

and if that workers sends a big chunk of their wages home the local economy also takes a hit.

In addition, as a result of the increase in population we are heading for critical shortages in water and generating capacity

a problem which is going to cost 10's of Billions to address.

Have you never wondered why hundreds of thousands of jobs keep being created in the private sector but unemployment hardly goes down, and the government spending defecit keeps rising.

:blink:

HOLA4418

Would you rather be on Benifits in the UK or Poland, thats the reason they are coming back, Its really a no brainer, Dont know what the future holds for the future uk youth when we already have 900 000+ 16 to 24 year olds already out of work.

HOLA4419

Everytime a low skilled immigrant with no money comes into the UK he puts a native Brit on the dole.

Ok, let me put this to you. Britain has what, about four to six generations of UK born, white and Christian, non working benefit junkies. We're talking many many millions of absolute scummers.

These muckers are breeding like rabbits, and they and their kids are doing nothing, nor will they ever do anything but suck the life out of the nation.

Crying about a brown skinned man taking a minimum wage job that our own white trash wouldn't touch with a barge pole just makes no sense.

HOLA4420

Last year I found some data about these recent "flood" of immigrants from eastern Europe.

Data from the Department of Economics at University College London:

"in 2008-09 they totalled 0.91% of the population, and accounted for 0.96% of total government revenues." And that: "Immigrants accounted for a smaller share in government spending than their share of the population (for example 0.6% in 2008-09, which is far below their share in the overall population of 0.91%). Therefore, overall A8 immigrants made a net contribution to public finances."

(This "A8" means the 8 new Accession Countries.)

The researchers think that the main cause is that these immigrants "have a higher labour market attachment than natives with a labour market participation rate of 95% for men (83% among natives) and 80% for women (75% among natives)."

And they think that the deeper reason is that this immigrant population has higher average education than the native population: "We assign to the category "low education" all individuals who left full time education at 16 or earlier, the category "intermediate education" to all individuals who left full time education between the age of 17 and 20, and finally "high education" to all individuals who left full time education aged 21 or over. According to this classification, 32% of A8 men and 40% of A8 women are highly educated, while only 18% of native men and 16% of native women fall in this category. Conversely, the share of A8 migrants with a low education is around five times smaller than that of natives."

LINK: www.econ.ucl.ac.uk/cream/pages/CDP/CDP_18_09.pdf

Another interesting point is that all these numbers are actually quite small, around 1% or less. To much ado about very little really. Immigration is much more a red herring and/or scapegoat than a real problem.

Yes blah, blah, blah.

Youth unemployment is currently 1 million and it is going to get much worse until something is done about free movement of labour in the EU.

According to the statistics there are now 4 million foreign born workers in the UK, so I could solve our unemployment problem overnight.

And don't try and say our workers are not educated enough when we have hundreds of thousands with degrees working in call centres and flipping burgers.

:angry:

HOLA4421

can my answer be none of the above.

look up 'saturation' in the dictionary and open up the question instead of throwing the race card.

HOLA4422

It isn't a fact at all, because the figures that show a net contribution are not done on a proper cost benefit analysis basis.

One EU migrant worker may pay tax, but as a result a UK citizen has to be paid unemployment benefit or income support

(...)

You would be correct if the polish immigrant were pushing a native out of a job. In fact from 2004 to 2007 the number of natives in unemployment benefits stay stable, despite over a million immigrants arriving and finding jobs. And even more surprising the number of vacancies remained stable too, around 600k IIRC.

That's because the new arrivals were increasing the economy proportionally, and creating new jobs.

The total amount of jobs in the economy is not fixed.

HOLA4423

So we are exporting used bikes then. Excellent! :) (We do need some cash...)

HOLA4424

Ok, let me put this to you. Britain has what, about four to six generations of UK born, white and Christian, non working benefit junkies. We're talking many many millions of absolute scummers.

These muckers are breeding like rabbits, and they and their kids are doing nothing, nor will they ever do anything but suck the life out of the nation.

Crying about a brown skinned man taking a minimum wage job that our own white trash wouldn't touch with a barge pole just makes no sense.

So you're playing the race card now then - how many 'brown skinned' eastern europeans do you know????????

The reason people here are living on benefits is because wages have been driven so low by mass immigration that it's impossible for most people with kids to earn a living wage.

Wether you like it or not, there is only one solution to this problem and it will either be done painfully sooner or catastrophically later.

:blink:

HOLA4425

can my answer be none of the above.

look up 'saturation' in the dictionary and open up the question instead of throwing the race card.

This, this is saturation.

Mumbai

Tokyo

Shanghai

Seoul

Mexico city

I very much doubt you have ever experienced 'saturation'.

If you don't like your neighbourhood, move.