House Price Crash Forum

Rural Housing

HOLA441

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7521070.stm

I sat and had tea with a group of locals who are dead against the proposed "affordable" development.

For them there should be no "right" to live anywhere. They reminded me that their own, mega-expensive, houses were bought at the full market price, and that any development which reduces the value of their property is simply not fair.

This quote just sums up to me how imbalanced the whole thing has become, local people unable to afford to buy housing in thier own villages because Jeremy and Jemima from the city want to keep the riff-raff out :angry:

Edited by JustAnotherProle

HOLA442

This quote just sums up to me how imbalanced the whole thing has become, local people unable to afford to buy housing in thier own villages because Jeremy and Jemima from the city want to keep the riff-raff out :angry:

They are SCUM. I'd rather have tea (or 20/20) with a knife wielding chav.

HOLA443

Articles like this make me laugh - anything to avoid saying what the real problem is - i.e. that houses are too expensive in this country, everywhere.

I mean what is the choice for the priced out country folk - move to London and buy a property there instead?

sheeshhhhhh,

F

HOLA444
Articles like this make me laugh - anything to avoid saying what the real problem is - i.e. that houses are too expensive in this country, everywhere.

I mean what is the choice for the priced out country folk - move to London and buy a property there instead?

sheeshhhhhh,

F

It's just beyond comprehension that "locals" are so obsessed with thier own imaginary wealth that they will gladly see the decimation of the community they live in...

HOLA445
It's just beyond comprehension that "locals" are so obsessed with thier own imaginary wealth that they will gladly see the decimation of the community they live in...

Not really, they are just selfish and greedy and full of fear about what they might lose. It seems most folk fall into this category...

Still, i agree with your sentiment, personally i wouldn't pish on them if they were on fire - which is possibly a nice idea - come home to a real fire?

F

HOLA446

your wrong in your analysis, the people that you are talking to may appear reactionary but we have to try and understand where this accusation of Nimbyism originated. Anyone who resists any form of "progress" is classed as a Nimby.

Can I point you in a different direction, a few years ago i was given a look at the Planning Document for the Forest of Dean, which takes in a huge rural area of gloucestershire, typical nimby territory. there was the usual guff about "sustainable development" , but the most telling paragraph referred to the most desirable villages in the FoD, places such as Berkely, Redmarley, Pauntley and so on, the one thing they all had in common was that these attractive villages HAD NEVER BEEN SUBJECT TO PLANNING WHEN THEY WERE BUILT.

The reason people object to new build, of whatever type, is the relentless conformity to planning guidelines that result in the most horrible developments, to the extent that you can travel across the UK and see the loss of character and individuality that so epitomised post war britain, see it and weep.

for Gods, sake agitate, but do it for the right reasons, not because of your jealousy.

HOLA447
the one thing they all had in common was that these attractive villages HAD NEVER BEEN SUBJECT TO PLANNING WHEN THEY WERE BUILT.

I also strongly suspect that they were not built with debt, or to house people who did not make their living in and from the immediate surroundings.