A.steve

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

Heads should roll at the FSA, says Vince Cable

Liberal Democrat shadow chancellor Vince Cable says Alistair Darling should be firing FSA chairman Sir Callum McCarthy after the regulator's "systematic failure" over Northern Rock rather than increasing his powers.

He says: "After the Treasury Select Committee report concluded that the FSA was guilty of ‘systematic failure’ over Northern Rock, it is baffling that the Chancellor now seems intent on giving it a bigger role, rather than the Bank of England.

“The Government should be firing the chair of the FSA, not giving this failed regulator more responsibility. Immediately after being reappointed as Governor, Mervyn King is being undermined because powers are being shifted elsewhere."

Cable says Darling seems focused on how to treat the symptoms of banking failures rather than addressing the causes.

He says: “Improved depositor protection is welcome, but not all problems in the financial sector can be solved by regulation alone. Ministers must work to make the whole banking sector more competitive. By breaking down the barriers which stop new and innovative companies entering the banking market and by letting banks fail, we can drive down costs and improve business practices.”

http://www.moneymarketing.co.uk/cgi-bin/it...h=341&f=342

HOLA447
Liberal Democrat shadow chancellor Vince Cable says Alistair Darling should be firing FSA chairman Sir Callum McCarthy after the regulator's "systematic failure" over Northern Rock rather than increasing his powers.

There was something really odd about the Treasury Select Committee... I didn't expect them to blame the FSA - though I saw pretty quickly that it was with the FSA that the vast majority of the blame lay. Maybe there was no other option left after Mervyn King defended himself so well? From the outset there appeared to be a concerted effort not to pursue questions about the FSA... it almost seemed like a cover-up.

I have the distinct impression that there is something corrupt about the FSA - and my instinct is that it goes all the way to the top.

HOLA448

I have the distinct impression that there is something corrupt about the FSA - and my instinct is that it goes all the way to the top.

Yeah, there's something very odd about how they fail to ever take any action despite the obvious rampant insider dealing, criminality, and fraud we see in The City.

Perhaps it is to do with the fact they get paid a lot less than the people they are supposed to be policing?

HOLA449

How the FSA have failed us, lets count the ways:

1. Failure to stop the endowment mis-selling problem.

2. Failure to stop mortgage fraud

3. Failure to investigate ANY insider trading (except for a few who get a little fine - Jabre springs to mind)

4. Failure to stop N Rock collapse - or even realise there could be trouble brewing

5. Allow banks to rob people blind with overdraft 'charges' at £35 a time. The FSA actually granted the banks a 'waiver' that lets them continue to impose charges that are illegal while the OFT test case carries on. I thought bank were meant to protect your money.

The Mash do it best:

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/busines...es-20080114656/

Edited by thefinalbear

HOLA4410
HOLA4411