House Price Crash Forum

Bbc Talking Point

HOLA441

I've got a good public sector waste story.

When I was a student, I worked during the summer holidays, and through an employment agency I was placed in the local housing benefit department for a couple of weeks covering for someone who was on holiday.

My job was to get all of the letters that came in each day and sort them into alpabetical order by surname and give them to the person that entered names into a computer database (not sure what for). Then they gave me the letters back, and I sorted them into alphabetical order by address, so that they could be entered into the computer be the address data enterer!

It was possibly the most boring and pointless thing I've ever done in my life (although it payed back the overdraft!) £4 p\h if I remeber rightly!

So, it took 3 people to do a 1 person job, and I was constantly being told to slow down cos I was working too fast.

On the other hand, my girlfriend works for the public sector as a academic scientist, she works all the hours god sends developing vaccines that big pharma wont develop cos it's not profitable enough. They have huge difficulties getting funding and there's never enough money available to take on new talent, and many great scientists emigrate to the states and canada where more funds are available.

Just another example of how it pays to be stupid in this country.

HOLA442
So, it took 3 people to do a 1 person job, and I was constantly being told to slow down cos I was working too fast.

Couldn't agree more, I used to work at software company where we did lots of work with Goverment departments. The people were always busy and I wouldn't call any of them lasy. But why were they busy because they spend all day doing stuff that was totally point less.

The fact is that many systems in place in the public sector are not streamlined as they would be meaning things take much longer than they would in the private sector (where time is money). This creates the impression public sector workers are in some way less able that private, but in reality its just the parameters that they have to work in.

HOLA443