House Price Crash Forum

Advice Please

Guest Winners and Losers

HOLA441
Guest Winners and Losers

First of all my tenants got a dog and cat without informing me or the managing agents. However, just received this from the agent regarding the cat and dog:

The tenants are signing the following regarding the Dog & Cat and I will post you a copy once signed for your records.

>

> (a) All damages, scratches, etc, caused by the Dog and/or Cat MUST be rectified by the lessee.

> (B) The property MUST be professionally fumigated both inside and outside when the lessee vacates the property.

>

> © All excreta MUST be removed by the lessee.

>

> (d) The carpets must be professionally cleaned upon vacating

>

> (e) Any holes dug by the Dog and/or Cat must be filled in & grass replaced before vacating.

>

> (f) The owner also advises that if there are any complaints from any of the neighbours, the Dog and/or Cat will not be allowed at the property from then on.

Not bad eh? Full fumigation!! Lovin it!

Anyway, I digress. The agents have informed me that the tenants have let the front garden become a bit overgrown. Even though I stipulated in the lease that the garden must be maintained, the agents have said that can't really enforce this until the tenants vacate (they could be there for years ffs!). I take this to mean that they will get them to do a big fix up before they leave, threatening to withold deposit.

So, should I be a good little landlord and get someone in to do a bit of weeding (it will only cost me about £30) in the name of looking after my investment or should I dig my heels in and leave the responsibility up to the tenant?

HOLA442
HOLA443
Guest Winners and Losers

:lol::lol::lol:

That's why I like London property. Barely a garden to speak of.

My hero. :rolleyes:

I know, what a pain in the ar*e it is. I think I'll just fork out ffs.

However, it is MY house, so I like to have the garden when I'm living there - sets off the pool nicely.

Edited by Winners and Losers

HOLA444

Personally I wouldn't do that as you'll set a precedent with your tenants. They've already ignored the no pets rule & are trashing your garden by failing to look after it. Once you pay for the garden maintenance, you have let them know that anything goes.

If I were you I would seek advice from the agent who has local experience & can tell you the best approach.

IMO you would be best to put up the rent by the cost of maintaining the garden & employ a regular gardener.

HOLA445
Guest Winners and Losers

Personally I wouldn't do that as you'll set a precedent with your tenants. They've already ignored the no pets rule & are trashing your garden by failing to look after it. Once you pay for the garden maintenance, you have let them know that anything goes.

If I were you I would seek advice from the agent who has local experience & can tell you the best approach.

IMO you would be best to put up the rent by the cost of maintaining the garden & employ a regular gardener.

You are right, that is why I have been reluctant to do anything about it. As I said, the agents are saying they can't enforce it until the tenants leave. If the tenants want to lose their deposit, its not my problem. That is why I asked for it to be specified when the lease was drawn up. I knew this would happen.

I was thinking of just getting it done as a once off (they are excellent tenants otherwise and the garden is not trashed, just needs a bit of weeding ffs!), following which I stipulate that it has be regularly maintained and if they have to pay a gardner to do it that is their choice. Its either that or do it themselves. I am good friends with the next door neighbours too - and they keep me regluarly informed on all the real goings on. B)

I don't think I will be able to just put the rent up and get a gardner, but I'll check with agents. Who'd want to be a BTL Landlord eh? :rolleyes:

HOLA446

Dont worry about the garden.

If the tennant is stupid he'll pay the last months rent.

If he's got a brain he'll find the contract loophole or find somewhere you have/agency have been in breach of contract. Withold last months rent and you'll get nothing.

It's a game, but it's played both ways.

The stupid buggers in my current flat refused to give me an inventory. Shame that :o

HOLA447

I do believe the issue with cats and dogs is now more complicated given recent

human rights legislation, which gives 'reasonable' right to pet ownership, and I'm

also thinking some discriminatory issues over non-pet owners when it comes

down to who you let your property to.

Will stand corrected to more learned colleague...

HOLA448

First of all my tenants got a dog and cat without informing me or the managing agents.

It's another reason I didn't want to rent this time round - the combination of several cats and a toddler is a pretty destructive force and I while I can understand landlords' reluctance to allow such destruction into their property, it makes it a bit hard to rent anywhere you can actually live. Might as well buy and let them wreck my own flat...

On the garden, it also depends how nice it is and how much it will suffer from getting unkempt. If it can wait for one big final clear-up when they go, then maybe you could just ignore it. But if it's got nice plants that will suffer, and you want to move back sometime, maybe worth laying down the law one way or the other.

HOLA449
Guest Winners and Losers

Sorry, for those of you who don't know (TTRTR knows EVERYTHING about me :rolleyes: ), the property is in Australia. I find that they are much more in favour of the Landlord in Australia. I'm not sure how the rules differ, but that is my impression. The UK are much more in favour of the tenant. Maybe you get worse tenats in Australia and worse Landlords in the UK. Agents don't hesitate to take tenants to tribunal for the smallest thing. As for them doing a runner without paying the rent, that's what Landlord Insurance is for sunshine. ;):lol:

On the garden, it also depends how nice it is and how much it will suffer from getting unkempt. If it can wait for one big final clear-up when they go, then maybe you could just ignore it. But if it's got nice plants that will suffer, and you want to move back sometime, maybe worth laying down the law one way or the other.

It is professionally landscaped, ornamental pear trees, mandarin trees and the like ffs!! But, most of the planting is drought proof so they are pretty hardy and mature now. All the planting is only 4 years old, so I don't mind if they let it grow a bit. But I don't want anything dying. As it is my own house and not just an investment, I think it is probably worth spending £30 twice a year if I have to, in order to maintian $1000's worth of landscaping. Pulling weeds in Australia is a different kettle of fish to pulling them here!! You need mechanical equipment. :unsure:

HOLA4410

It is professionally landscaped, ornamental pear trees, mandarin trees and the like ffs!! But, most of the planting is drought proof so they are pretty hardy and mature now. All the planting is only 4 years old, so I don't mind if they let it grow a bit. But I don't want anything dying. As it is my own house and not just an investment, I think it is probably worth spending £30 twice a year if I have to, in order to maintian $1000's worth of landscaping. Pulling weeds in Australia is a different kettle of fish to pulling them here!! You need mechanical equipment. :unsure:

Maybe you should just go for paying a gardener then - it would be so irritating if the trees get choked or damaged (no idea about Aus gardening apart from the fact I'd be too scared of spiders and snakes to do much of it myself...). TTRTR's suggestion of putting the rent up to compensate has some logic, but I'm not sure it's really worth the hassle, especially if you have a reasonable relationship with them overall.

It's your house though...

HOLA4411
Guest Winners and Losers

Thanks everyone. :)

I'll try and sort out some kind of compromise I think. It's not the money that bothers me, its the PRINCIPLE! Now, where is that little gold digging toe rag...................

HOLA4412

I do believe the issue with cats and dogs is now more complicated given recent

human rights legislation, which gives 'reasonable' right to pet ownership, and I'm

also thinking some discriminatory issues over non-pet owners when it comes

down to who you let your property to.

Will stand corrected to more learned colleague...

Good point, and exactly right....although unsure as to whether it is due to human rights legislation or not. But certainly, it has been declared by the OFT to be an unfair term to have a blanket ban on all pets. It is however acceptable to have a ban on pets that you would reasonably expect to cause damage to the property.

HOLA4413

Good point, and exactly right....although unsure as to whether it is due to human rights legislation or not. But certainly, it has been declared by the OFT to be an unfair term to have a blanket ban on all pets. It is however acceptable to have a ban on pets that you would reasonably expect to cause damage to the property.

Once again shedman, no idea what you speak of, but you're happy to speak.

The OFT and human rights legislation mentioned here have no bearing whatsover in this case as the people and property involved are not within the jurisdiction of these laws. I wonder why that is I hear you ask. I'll leave that up to you.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415