House Price Crash Forum

It's Getting Nasty On Moneysavingexpert!

red

HOLA441

Some would say we are in a new paradigm of permanently high house prices. Given that we are always being told that past performance is not necessarily an indication of the future, this could be the case.

Given the changing demographics of this country since 1995 it would be hard to imagine a scenario where you could ever buy a flat in Zone 2 for 2.5 times an average/reasonable single person's salary.

Most would say, as soon as prices look like they're dropping, FTBs and trader-uppers will pile back in, ensuring prices don't fall far. So, it would take a massive paradigm shift for property to become abhorrent to the masses to such an extent for prices to fall back to these levels.

What happens is that property becomes risky so only the most credit worthy can borrow. When we bought after the last crash (in 1994) only one building society would lend to us and that was with no other debt and only borrowing 1.5 times my income.

If and when the crash comes it will be painful not because people won't want to borrow but because few will lend to them.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HOLA442

Charming :)

Just as an example of the couple affordability thing.

2 people earning ave wages round here of about 25k. 50k combined * 3.5 is 175k, exactly what a 2 bedroom family starter home costs in the area. If they went up by 50%, then yes the whole thing would fall to pieces.

great. no kids though. bummer.

HOLA443

great. no kids though. bummer.

I had the same worry when my wife and I bought in 1975, and needed both incomes. Inflation helped us, but we didn't know that at the time. Sometimes you have to bite the bullet, otherwise it just gets worse if you wait.

Oh yeah, that was complete BS. I think that should go in the myths/FAQ section - property hasn't always been hard to buy at all...

There's only a few years out of the last 50 when it has not been hard. The rest of the time it has been very hard to buy a first house.

1975, joint salaries of about 4k, first house 11k at 11% interest for a very undesirable small house near the Essex oil refineries.

Plus ca change, and all that.

HOLA444
HOLA445

I had the same worry when my wife and I bought in 1975, and needed both incomes. Inflation helped us, but we didn't know that at the time. Sometimes you have to bite the bullet, otherwise it just gets worse if you wait.

There's only a few years out of the last 50 when it has not been hard. The rest of the time it has been very hard to buy a first house.

1975, joint salaries of about 4k, first house 11k at 11% interest for a very undesirable small house near the Essex oil refineries.

I believe RichM & his wife are both highly educated. If it's hard for them, how is the average Joe going to pull it off?

HOLA446

Charming :)

Just as an example of the couple affordability thing.

2 people earning ave wages round here of about 25k. 50k combined * 3.5 is 175k, exactly what a 2 bedroom family starter home costs in the area. If they went up by 50%, then yes the whole thing would fall to pieces.

I do think that this is a big factor in today's problem. I know many people will disagree with me on this (they have before) but 30 years ago most people bought their first house when they got married, on 2 incomes.

Today, there are far more singletons expecting what couples used to settle for, IMO. If someone can shoot me down with stats, I'll be happy to accept that this is just from my experience, nothing more.

HOLA447

I do think that this is a big factor in today's problem. I know many people will disagree with me on this (they have before) but 30 years ago most people bought their first house when they got married, on 2 incomes.

Today, there are far more singletons expecting what couples used to settle for, IMO. If someone can shoot me down with stats, I'll be happy to accept that this is just from my experience, nothing more.

How common were stay at home moms 30 years ago? I'm 38, and I know it was common for both me and most of my friends for the mom to stay at home at least until the youngest started school.

HOLA448

by "bite the bullet" I assume you mean have children and not buy a flat/house! :lol:

They must have seen you coming :lol::lol::lol:

I believe RichM & his wife are both highly educated. If it's hard for them, how is the average Joe going to pull it off?

highly educated yes... at the school of hard knocks and university of life.

HOLA449

They must have seen you coming :lol::lol::lol:

That's all a couple of professionals could afford back then. Nicer houses in the area I'd lived in previously were about 25k

by "bite the bullet" I assume you mean have children and not buy a flat/house! :lol:

No - buy the house/flat, save, get promoted/better job, do without, have kids, struggle, worry and somehow get by.

Just like people used to, before they thought they were owed the world.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

I have to say that despite myself I agree with CO here. There is a 'disease' in the under 40's wherupon they feel they constantly 'deserve' better, without the preliminary 'earning' part.

HOWEVER, I bought my first house. a decent 30's 3-bed semi, for 3x my then earnings. A 26 year old SHOULD be able to do the same today.

HOLA4412

Miaoow!

cat_miaow_stumpy.jpeg

I'm sorry, I must have confused you with someone else. I believed you were a psychologist or something similar. :D:)

Yeah but psychology is a load of ******. I learnt more growing up on the mean streets of Chadwell Heath. Getting through cubs was tough, too.

post-109-1143578830.jpeg

Edited by RichM

HOLA4413

Miaoow!

Right though, aren't I? ;)

I have to say that despite myself I agree with CO here. There is a 'disease' in the under 40's wherupon they feel they constantly 'deserve' better, without the preliminary 'earning' part.

HOWEVER, I bought my first house. a decent 30's 3-bed semi, for 3x my then earnings. A 26 year old SHOULD be able to do the same today.

Well, I'm not sure how "should" works in this context. The reason prices are as high as they are is that enough people are paying present day prices. How can anyone enforce "should"?

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
Guest wrongmove

do without, have kids, struggle, worry and somehow get by.

Have you gone completely mad !!! Wash you mouth out with soap !

:P:P:P

HOLA4416

Right though, aren't I? ;)

Well, I'm not sure how "should" works in this context. The reason prices are as high as they are is that enough people are paying present day prices. How can anyone enforce "should"?

That's a big 'how'. House prices should be attached to the fundamentals of affordability. If someone works a decent wage, they should be able to afford decent food, warmth... and shelter. Housing is currently spun up into a bubble through speculation, and a correction must occur.

It will not be pleasant, but afterwards there will be considerable relief. Just like a visit to the dentist.

HOLA4417

How common were stay at home moms 30 years ago? I'm 38, and I know it was common for both me and most of my friends for the mom to stay at home at least until the youngest started school.

Very common, in my experience. My wife gave up full-time work when our first son was born in 1980, and went back full time when the youngest was 14, 20 years later (although she did get an evening data entry job for a few years when things got tight). All our friends and family did similar.

I think the situation is a bit chicken and egg - women with children worked to be able to have more consumer goods, therefore house prices rose to match the available money, therefore women HAD to work to pay the mortgage.

This generation would have been better off if they'd not been so greedy.

. House prices should be attached to the fundamentals of affordability. .

But they are!! How do you think people are buying them?

As it happens, no, you're not.

Very enlightning - thanks! You've shot down my supposition with brilliant logic. :unsure:

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
Very enlightning - thanks! You've shot down my supposition with brilliant logic. :unsure:

hey, I'm not the one coming out with ridiculous overgeneralisations like:

This generation would have been better off if they'd not been so greedy

That's as silly as the bears on here who blame all their problems on the greed of boomers. Unhelpful.

I don't expect anything. I am just not prepared to jeopardise my (prospective) family's financial security by buying an overvalued asset.

HOLA4420

I agree 100% with everything in this post but I may add....

The times that people speak about were when marraiges STAYED TOGETHER and the house purchase was reliant on the MALE (generally) earning the cash.

We are in a different society now. Now to buy it has to be BOTH PARTNERS to get the 3.5/4 times salary. A single guy cannot possibly get a mortgage for the price the want for a basic FLAT. It has to be a luxury apartment!!!

The biggest problems facing people today are 1) Staying in a job and the new one 2) Staying in a relationship.

I know if I bought then there would no way I could afford to buy out my partner. Yes there are a lot of 'I WANT.. I WANT.. I WANT..' out there but it is a minority. I am sensible with money and have good saving and I am struggling to buy. I dont want a crash 'per se' I want correction of about 30%

TB

Edited by teddyboy

HOLA4421

hey, I'm not the one coming out with ridiculous overgeneralisations like:

That's as silly as the bears on here who blame all their problems on the greed of boomers. Unhelpful.

I don't expect anything. I am just not prepared to jeopardise my (prospective) family's financial security by buying an overvalued asset.

OK, I was being a bit tongue in cheek, having a rare pop back in the anti-generation battle I'm often on the other side of.

But your choice not to buy an over-valued asset is fine. It's your call, and I hope you get it right (I think you may well do so). I was just saying that years ago, people were prepared to start with less, and do without for longer. I know that I, and all the people I know, did just that.

HOLA4422

I agree 100% with everything in this post but I may add....

The times that people speak about were when marraiges STAYED TOGETHER and the house purchase was reliant on the MALE (generally) earning the cash.

We are in a different society now. Now to buy it has to be BOTH PARTNERS to get the 3.5/4 times salary. A single guy cannot possibly get a mortgage for the price the want for a basic FLAT. It has to be a luxury apartment!!!

The biggest problems facing people today are 1) Staying in a job and the new one 2) Staying in a relationship.

I know if I bought then there would no way I could afford to buy out my partner. Yes there are a lot of 'I WANT.. I WANT.. I WANT..' out there but it is a minority. I am sensible with money and have good saving and I am struggling to buy. I dont want a crash 'per se' I want correction of about 30%

TB

I'm talking about 1998, not all that distant. I was single, and earning 20K - the average wage at the time I believe. A single person - male or female - should be able to buy a decent home on the average wage.

It was tough for me for the first couple of years, but not ridiculous. A couple should be able to fly it.

Should... and here we are.

Edited by tahoma

HOLA4423

'People' are not buying them. Speculators are.

But the speculators will need the tenants to pay for their mortgages, so it's the same thing. Or is in the long term, when cash flow problems outweigh growth prospects. There's a wonderful balancing mechanism in palce - that's how markets work. Things may get out of kilter every so often, but they always revert. Just look at our very own graph on the front page.

HOLA4424
There's a wonderful balancing mechanism in palce - that's how markets work. Things may get out of kilter every so often, but they always revert. Just look at our very own graph on the front page.
Exactly, the invisible hand of the market will sort stuff. Just not necessarily on a convenient timescale.

HOLA4425

Very common, in my experience. My wife gave up full-time work when our first son was born in 1980, and went back full time when the youngest was 14, 20 years later (although she did get an evening data entry job for a few years when things got tight). All our friends and family did similar.

I think the situation is a bit chicken and egg - women with children worked to be able to have more consumer goods, therefore house prices rose to match the available money, therefore women HAD to work to pay the mortgage.

See, I have been staying at home for the past 12 years. I'm a freak today. I have been trying to re-enter the work force with little luck. I think I would be better off telling people I have been a crack ho for the past 12 years than a stay at home mom. And the worst part is, woman are worse than men. Men seem to respect it, woman look at me like "how could I do such a thing?" <_<<_<