House Price Crash Forum

Advice re Deposit protection

Chrippie

HOLA441

One for the HPC mindhive. So have moved out of a house which we moved into in December 2020. According to the Tenancy Deposit Scheme my deposit was only protected/ received by TDS in January 2022. So it was not protected within the 30 days proscribed by law. Landlord being a little difficult on the deposit. Basically what is the situation here? Can I sue the landlord as they didn't protect the deposit within 30 days and if so, how would I go about doing that? Or is there a chance they protected it through some other means? If anyone has been in a similar situation or knows how this works would be massively appreciated!

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

I had a similar situation when I last rented privately. When I handed my notice in on that property I got all of my deposit back. I made it clear in my notice to quit that it would have to be returned irrespective of what condition I left it in.

If the landlord hadn't played ball then I would have filed a claim via Small Claims Court.