House Price Crash Forum

Possible asbestos hot water tank in BTL flat

HOLA441

A flat I'm seriously considering buying has a old hot water tank with a type of lagging I haven't seen before.  A BTL landlord bought the flat in 2013 and replaced the electric immersion heater with a combi boiler but left the disused hot water tank in situ.  I'm wondering if it's asbestos and, if so, how much of a problem that is.  It appears to be intact.  Picture attached.  Any thoughts?

IMG_0442 (1).jpg

HOLA442
9 hours ago, Will! said:

A flat I'm seriously considering buying has a old hot water tank with a type of lagging I haven't seen before.  A BTL landlord bought the flat in 2013 and replaced the electric immersion heater with a combi boiler but left the disused hot water tank in situ.  I'm wondering if it's asbestos and, if so, how much of a problem that is.  It appears to be intact.  Picture attached.  Any thoughts?

IMG_0442 (1).jpg

can you remove it in one piece ? 

HOLA443
9 minutes ago, longgone said:

can you remove it in one piece ? 

Not without removing the doorframe of what was the airing cupboard.  I suspect that's why the BTLer left it in.

HOLA444
1 hour ago, Will! said:

Not without removing the doorframe of what was the airing cupboard.  I suspect that's why the BTLer left it in.

even removing the door frame which to be honest is not a big job it will cost less than getting a asbestos contractor in to remove it. 

as long as it is not broken up and the fibres released it is perfectly safe.  just cover it in plastic once removed. 

maybe could be used to make a lower offer. 

HOLA445
13 hours ago, longgone said:

as long as it is not broken up and the fibres released it is perfectly safe.  just cover it in plastic once removed. 

maybe could be used to make a lower offer. 

My concern is whether there could be damage at the back where I can't see.

I think a lower offer is definitely on the cards!

HOLA446
3 minutes ago, Will! said:

My concern is whether there could be damage at the back where I can't see.

I think a lower offer is definitely on the cards!

may as well use it to your advantage ? in reality though it will be mostly concrete with very little asbestos content.  mix up some pva glue with water in a spray bottle and coat the thing and let it dry before shifting it and wear a mask should be good.

bung it at the bottom of the skip

HOLA447
13 minutes ago, longgone said:

mix up some pva glue with water in a spray bottle and coat the thing and let it dry before shifting it and wear a mask should be good.

Thanks!