House Price Crash Forum

Landlord Wants To Change The Letting Agent

HOLA441

Hi,

Our Landlord came round this morning for a personal inspection and he mentioned he was considering changing agents in the future as he wasn't that impressed with the current ones etc etc.
Our money is with the current agent through the protection scheme, and we have a rolling 3 monthly contract that we negotiated after the first year ended.
I am not sure of his motives - whether he is genuinely unhappy, or is trying to save money - as he mentioned 'he has a friend' he might use instead.
I just wondered your thoughts, and where we'd stand. Can management agent be switched over without affecting the terms of our contract?
Thanks
CI

HOLA442

Hello CI,

I had something similar with a first-time landlord a few years ago. For some reason he got very worked up about the managing agents getting work done on the house and so on to the point where he sacked them and took over managing the contract himself. The agents held the deposit until the end of the contract and returned every penny once we'd moved out.

Hopefully, it won't cause you any problems. The only thing I did find was that I needed to be a bit two-faced in agreeing with the agents when I spoke to them about the landlord and agreeing with the landlord when he spoke about the agents.

HOLA443
I just wondered your thoughts, and where we'd stand. Can management agent be switched over without affecting the terms of our contract?

In a word, yes. Your tenancy agreement is a contract between you and the landlord. If the landlord uses an agent then that has no affect on your contract with the landlord. The landlord is free to dismiss any agent he has engaged when he wishes, although termination of his contract with the agent will be subject to any provisions regarding termination in their agreement. Your tenancy should not be affected.

HOLA444

Remember your contract is with the Landlord. The Landlord has to ensure the deposit is protected and the landlord who has to repay the deposit when you leave. A change of agent should be straightforward as far as you as a tenant is concerned and should not affect the terms of the contract as they are not a party to the contract.

That is my understanding of things... I am not a lawyer etc!

Good luck

HOLA445