House Price Crash Forum

Bbc R4 Moneybox Btl Special - Encouraging Fraud?

HOLA441

I've now replied to their "calm down dear", but ARGH! I didn't realise that they impose an artificial 20-day deadline. :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:. Bastards.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/complaints/content/handle-complaint/says

If you are dissatisfied with our reply you should re-contact us in writing within 20 working days explaining why. You may be able to take the issue further to stage 2 and if so we will explain how. This is normally either to the independent Editorial Complaints Unit or relevant senior management. We publish the findings of complaints upheld or resolved by the Editorial Complaints Unit and those considered at stage 3 on appeal by the BBC Trust in Complaints reports.

I wrote, winging it slightly:

Please accept my apologies for the delay replying; I have been ill. I am not satisfied that there is any evidence of the programme reflecting a range of views. Many organisations including the Bank Of England are saying that BTL is risky and puts our economy in jeopardy. I have never heard this view being raised on the programme. The contributors were: 4 buy-to-let investors; a person who is arguably a quasi lobbyist for the biggest BTL lender in the country, Nationwide; a letting agent; a financial planner aggressively ramping property investment. Therefore, I am completely unsatisfied with your response. Please confirm that it would now be appropriate to escalate my complaint to Stage 2 and for me to address my complaint to the Editorial Complaints Unit.

Edited by mrtickle

HOLA442

At one time such a blatant error from an official organisation like the bbc broadcasting "expert information" would have been remedied by say a statement at/after the end of the programme saying that beware that since the budget the tax law on wear and tear etc had changed - as there might be some legal liability.

Edited by billybong

HOLA443

At one time such a blatant error from an official organisation like the bbc broadcasting "expert information" would have been remedied by say a statement at/after the end of the programme saying that beware that since the budget the tax law on wear and tear etc had changed - as there might be some legal liability.

Probably only for a pre-recorded programme. Money Box is always live, so someone would have to notice a mistake during the broadcast.

HOLA444

I wonder if Generation Rent are being used as a token weak anti-hpi'er by the media on these progs.

They nearly went under last month

http://www.generationrent.org

Generation Rent has raised enough money to keep campaigning for private renters across the UK, amassing nearly £18,000 in donations.

A month ago our future looked very bleak, with no guarantee that we would be able to survive past September.

The team here has thrown everything we had at fundraising and we have been humbled by the response.

Since we launched our emergency crowdfunding campaign at the end of July, 371 people have donated a total of £17,982.

With our grant from the Joseph Rowntree Reform Trust of £45,500, these funds allow us to continue our work in London and nationally with a team of two: director Betsy Dillner and communications manager Dan Wilson Craw.

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA445

I've now replied to their "calm down dear", but ARGH! I didn't realise that they impose an artificial 20-day deadline. :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:. Bastards.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/complaints/content/handle-complaint/says

I wrote, winging it slightly:

[...]

They have replied, and are fighting hard. They seem to have closed off the possibility of the complaint going further?!

Thank you for contacting us about the Money box edition on the Buy-to-let market. We raised your concerns with senior editorial staff at the News.

The Money Box edition on Buy-to-Let was commissioned in the wake to the significant tax changes announced in the Budget. We wanted to use this peg to look at whether Buy-to-Let was still worth it. We put together a panel knowledgeable in the area but with different views. In the programme we discussed the changes with the help of several case studies and considered the future of Buy-to Let. The panel repeatedly warned listeners to be cautious in the light of the changes and business-like in their approach to letting.

Money Box is a personal finance programme and therefore focuses on issues from a personal finance perspective. Other programmes on Radio 4 like Analysis, Today, World at One, PM and File on Four would look at things from a different often broader economic and political perspective. Analysis for instance looked at Housing Benefit this week, an issue we cover frequently in Money Box, but in a very different way. There are many different ways that the issue of Buy to Let could be approached. You certainly could look at Buy to Let from the perspective of whether Buy to Let is good for the wider of economy but we only had one programme and chose to focus on the small landlords that make up the bulk the market and big part of the Money Box audience.

We hope this helps to clarify matters and thank you again for getting in Touch.

Kind regards

Brian Irvine

BBC Complaints

www.bbc.co.uk/complaints

NB This is sent from an outgoing account only which is not monitored. You cannot reply to this email address but if necessary please contact us via our webform quoting any case number we provided.

The emphasis is mine.

What next?

Edited by mrtickle

HOLA446

Probably only for a pre-recorded programme. Money Box is always live, so someone would have to notice a mistake during the broadcast.

Ok - even with a live broadcast a serious error of fact in one broadcast would be pointed out during the next broadcast. Especially on tax advice. The mistake does need to be noticed of course - but they seemed to be more thorough in the past and the presenters seemed to know the subjects discussed better - or were more prepared to pick up on errors.

Edited by billybong

HOLA447

I wonder if Generation Rent are being used as a token weak anti-hpi'er by the media on these progs.

They nearly went under last month

Indeed likely a form of tokenism (used as a sort of loosely implied interest in anti HPI) but the reality seems to be that Generation Rent is more interested in issues to do with tenants circumstances rather than having any opinion on the actual value of any rented housing.