House Price Crash Forum

Russian Islamist Doku Umarov Calls For Attacks On 2014 Winter Olympics

HOLA441

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/jul/03/russia-islamist-attack-olympics-sochi

The leader of Russia's Islamist movement has lifted a moratorium on attacks inside Russia and called on his rebels to disrupt the upcoming Winter Olympics in the southern city of Sochi.

In a video dated June 2013, Doku Umarov said his followers must use "maximum force" to ensure the Games do not take place.

After claiming responsibility for deadly attacks on the Moscow metro and Moscow's Domodedovo airport, Umarov last year declared a ceasefire inside Russia as protests against the Kremlin leadership gripped the capital. In the video he said Vladimir Putin, the president, had mistaken the move for weakness.

"Today we must show those who live in the Kremlin … that our kindness is not weakness," Umarov said, speaking in a forest and dressed in green camouflage. "They plan to hold the Olympics on the bones of our ancestors, on the bones of many, many dead Muslims buried on our land by the Black Sea. We as mujahideen are required not to allow that, using any methods that Allah allows us."

Russia's Islamist rebels consider Sochi to be part of an unformed Caucasus emirate stretching along Russia's southern flank.

Security concerns over the Olympics, to be held in February 2014, are running very high, with Sochi just 250 miles from the republics of Chechnya and Dagestan, where most of Russia's rebels live.

If only they knew about the problems in this area before giving them the Olympics. If any attacks happen I wonder if the World Cup will get moved?

It appears that both the Olympics and World Cup could end up being the focal point for political protest and violence over the next couple of years with tensions high in Brazil and Russia.

HOLA442

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/jul/03/russia-islamist-attack-olympics-sochi

If only they knew about the problems in this area before giving them the Olympics. If any attacks happen I wonder if the World Cup will get moved?

It appears that both the Olympics and World Cup could end up being the focal point for political protest and violence over the next couple of years with tensions high in Brazil and Russia.

What a shock!

HOLA443
Guest eight

They really are a bunch of joyless f***ers.

HOLA444

I think Putin made a deal with Kadyrov to secure him control in Chechnya in return for no more chechen bombings. Probably do the same here.

Then again, not so different to Bliar with McGuiness and Gerry Adams really though, is it? They all get cushy jobs and benefits in return for no more violence.

HOLA445

They really are a bunch of joyless f***ers.

I was quite impressed to see that FEMEN movement go topless in a mosque the other day (not in person, in the papers)

I usually think these protesters are usually a bit dickless. Its not exactly hard to protest for some progressive cause in Hyde Park or Times square, safe in the knowledge nothing will happen to you, but occasionally they do something that takes balls. Peter Tatchell, trying to arrest Mugabe, or getting beat up in Moscow, that takes balls.

HOLA446

I think Putin made a deal with Kadyrov to secure him control in Chechnya in return for no more chechen bombings. Probably do the same here.

Then again, not so different to Bliar with McGuiness and Gerry Adams really though, is it? They all get cushy jobs and benefits in return for no more violence.

yes,and they just keep on pushing and pushing and pushing..until somebody with a bit of backbone calls their bluff and decides to use a REAL show of force to resolve the matter.ie not give a sh1t about ethnic cleansing.think hitler on steroids.

I think they are pushing their luck enough already.

Archived