House Price Crash Forum

Valuing London Property At Borough Level

HOLA441

Recently shared a dataset that I had developed which Valued the Property of England and Wales at County Level. This turned out to be quite a popular thread which can be found here.

This dataset included a small village, London, as a single data point which given a population of over 8 million didn't seem detailed enough for me. I've therefore now gone one level deeper and run an analysis of London at borough level. The most expensive borough has house prices at over 32 times the salaries of it's residents. Even the cheapest borough still has prices at 8.7 times earnings. Link to the full data.

HOLA442

Recently shared a dataset that I had developed which Valued the Property of England and Wales at County Level. This turned out to be quite a popular thread which can be found here.

This dataset included a small village, London, as a single data point which given a population of over 8 million didn't seem detailed enough for me. I've therefore now gone one level deeper and run an analysis of London at borough level. The most expensive borough has house prices at over 32 times the salaries of it's residents. Even the cheapest borough still has prices at 8.7 times earnings. Link to the full data.

Great job. However, important to note that prices can vaey widely within a borough.

HOLA443

Great job. However, important to note that prices can vaey widely within a borough.

Agreed and thanks. They can also vary widely by street and position on the street. There's also a large % of social housing within some of those borough's which will likely make some borough's look more over valued than perhaps they are.

Nothing's perfect but I'm just trying to give a different perspective, first at County level in the first post then at London Borough level, than that always promoted in the MSM who live by advertising from vested interests.

HOLA444

Yes - well put.

Tottenham is very different to Muswell Hill in Haringey

Homerton does not compare to Shoreditch in Hackney

Wanstead isn't Ilford in Redbridge.

Some boroughs like Barking and Dagenham are pretty similar internally - all equally bad bar a small area around Upney station in that case.

Of course as the comments point out in some boroughs nearly half the residents are in social housing - they will generally earn below average salaries but enough to pay their subsidised rent with secure tenancies. Its the priced out middle who rent privately who are in the mire.

HOLA445

Agreed and thanks. They can also vary widely by street and position on the street. There's also a large % of social housing within some of those borough's which will likely make some borough's look more over valued than perhaps they are.

Nothing's perfect but I'm just trying to give a different perspective, first at County level in the first post then at London Borough level, than that always promoted in the MSM who live by advertising from vested interests.

Yes, well done. It's actually very helpful. Would be good to compare to the rightmove borough figurrs.

HOLA446
HOLA447

Yes, well done. It's actually very helpful. Would be good to compare to the rightmove borough figurrs.

I very much enjoy all the data analysis that I publish on my site however even I draw the line at analysing an index that has no statistical significance. :) With the Rightmove Index it could be price changes but it could also just as easily be the mix of house type changing, mix of location changing or just simple seasonality.