House Price Crash Forum

Bbc1 Now

apom

HOLA441
HOLA442
Guest The_Oldie

turn it on

damn it was ITV..

She said.. housing bubble.. now it is about to burst..

ITV News (Sky 525) ran it again at 23:18. Looks like it's on every 1/2 hour. Very bearish three minute long piece titled "Home Hardship"

They have a graphic with houses rising in bubbles, one by one the bubbles burst!!

HOLA443

ITV News (Sky 525) ran it again at 23:18. Looks like it's on every 1/2 hour. Very bearish three minute long piece titled "Home Hardship"

They have a graphic with houses rising in bubbles, one by one the bubbles burst!!

Have you thought that this sudden bearish scenario is, quite possibly, government influenced spin aimed at getting the public to accept residential property into SIPPs as a good idea as it will save their property from falling in price! After all there's no real evidence of a huge (or even tiny) crash!

My (labour) MP refuses to discuss the introduction of res property into SIPPs with me!

Edited by ILikeBigBoobs

HOLA444

Have you thought that this sudden bearish scenario is, quite possibly, government influenced spin aimed at getting the public to accept residential property into SIPPs as a good idea as it will save their property from falling in price! After all there's no real evidence of a huge (or even tiny) crash!

My (labour) MP refuses to discuss the introduction of res property into SIPPs with me!

I love the idea that there is millions around in SIPP type pensions waiting to be spent. There isn't and the sooner the average estate agent discovers this the better.

Sadly that won't be until June next year at which point freefall, as those who need to sell are forced to.

HOLA445

Quite right, EEK.

The one thing the economy is awash with at the moment is DEBT - loads of it! Most of the property chavs have nothing to put into SIPPS or any other pension vehicle. Pension? That's too far in the future for them to think about.

HOLA446

Okay.. Sipps are not about houses..

They are about investing in anything..

Why..?

Because current pension schemes are failing..

They never aimed sipps at housing.. they just came up with ways it could be used for housing..

and at the moment the only thing people think about for invesestment is housing..

after last nights news.. would you invest in a sipp?

People will not invest sipps to keep thseir houses up.. they will get a sipp so they can eat when they retire..

So.. a grahpic on telly showed houses on baloons.. rising.... then popping?

lol.. last night was the watershed.. every news chanel mentioned bursting bubbles..

Be interesting when the "Your never going to own a home and look at how rich I am "fraternitiy rock up at work..

HOLA447

lol.. last night was the watershed.. every news chanel mentioned bursting bubbles..

I think it needs a lot more stories about Negative Equity to really get things going - this needs house prices to fall somewhat further under their own momentum I think.

Another hike in Interest Rates should help as well, but I just don't know if most of the MPC has the balls.

HOLA448

An MP who won't debate issues! :lol: IS he/she morally objected to the idea or is it some other reason?

apom,

after last nights news.. would you invest in a sipp?

At 40% discount, I could be persuaded. That's what a HPCer is up against, it's such a big give away for those in the position to take advantage of it.

Personally, it makes my stomach turn, the fact we could have this coming into force next year when so many of the young need reasonably priced homes. Damned if you do and damned if you don't, sums it up for FTB's.

Perhaps the government would be less likely to screw the young over if most of them could be bothered to vote.

:(

HOLA449

At 40% discount, I could be persuaded. That's what a HPCer is up against, it's such a big give away for those in the position to take advantage of it.

If even an HPCer thinks this way what chance... Its not simply a 40% reduction - there will be management fees, hassle, then you can only get 25% out as a lump sum (tax free) the rest buys a taxed pension. Then what do you do with it when you die? etc etc

Its an absolute minefield and a possible nightmare.

HOLA4410

It is a big give away if you assume property will always increase or increase at rate equal to or better than equities.

Sorry but its all bolleaux. Most of the people wealthy enough to be able to put £100,000 of cash in their pension into a SIPP wrapper will be clever enough to see that they would be putting all their eggs in one basket for their retirement and an illiquid investment to boot. Foolish beyond belief. There will be a few fools I am sure but it is only really practical if you can do it as part of a wider portfolio of investment assets where you already have a huge pension fund in stocks/funds but want to diversify yourself. We're talking one or two percent of the population here IMO.

And then there is the issue of whether property prices will ever reach these real levels again in our lifetimes. I think not. Buy high sell low anyone?