House Price Crash Forum

Open Office Spreadsheet Help Required Please.

longtomsilver

HOLA441

I'm creating a spreadsheet that includes everything 'Posh' (Mr&Mrs) from salary (got that sewn-up, works out NI+Inc Tax+Company Car/Fuel Benefit in Kind to the penny), expenditure including running a second personal car that I collect on Friday to the pence per mile - basically everything of the 'present' i've not struggled on at all.

It's the future that's bothering me, pension pot+further pension contributions+compounding interest to age 55. I've managed to run something up that looks more like one of those tables in the back of a road map that gives a best guess of distance from point a to b. Looks really long/messy and complicates matters when I try to change variables such as interest rate/below inflation pay rises - using the 72 rule.

Is there a simple formulae that I could use in my spreadsheet to do it all for me.

Thanks in advance guys. :)

HOLA442

I'm creating a spreadsheet that includes everything 'Posh' (Mr&Mrs) from salary (got that sewn-up, works out NI+Inc Tax+Company Car/Fuel Benefit in Kind to the penny), expenditure including running a second personal car that I collect on Friday to the pence per mile - basically everything of the 'present' i've not struggled on at all.

It's the future that's bothering me, pension pot+further pension contributions+compounding interest to age 55. I've managed to run something up that looks more like one of those tables in the back of a road map that gives a best guess of distance from point a to b. Looks really long/messy and complicates matters when I try to change variables such as interest rate/below inflation pay rises - using the 72 rule.

Is there a simple formulae that I could use in my spreadsheet to do it all for me.

Thanks in advance guys. :)

Equals Zero :D

HOLA443

Equals Zero :D

That's where my pension fund is heading. It'll be different this time as we'll be in control (SIP via HL) and not some 1.5% per annum fund manager.

For clarification... what I would like to get out of this formulae is:

In three separate cells enter:

Monthly contribution

Interest (assuming 3% return throughout term)

Duration in years

That'll give an idea of fund value.

Another two variables will be salary and therefor monthly contribution. I'm ignoring inflation from the plan for now... I doubt £500k in todays money will mean as much in 22 years but 25% will still cover the mortgage outstanding (our hedge against inflation/debt jubilee/weimar republic).

HOLA444
HOLA445

Mods can you delete this post.

I found what i'm looking for on google.

Post what you find so that in years hence someone with the same problem as you could *gasp* reach an Internet thread with a satisfactory conclusion rather than a selfish one that just ends abruptly.

HOLA446

Post what you find so that in years hence someone with the same problem as you could *gasp* reach an Internet thread with a satisfactory conclusion rather than a selfish one that just ends abruptly.

My way isn't very clean:

in Cell A4:

=B1*(1+B2)^B3

B1 is nominal

B2 is interest rate (changed field to reflect this)

B3 is term in years (for additional monthly contributions it's 1/12th or 0.08333. I have entered this on a separate sheet as there are twelve cells for each year (obviously!) creating a table (or 23 in my case) using vlookup for March only using that figure for the following years nominal - rinse and repeat/loop).

advantages doing it this way is that I can retrospectively amend the previous years predicted interest rate with the actual rate and also change the pension contribution (salary increases/decreases) locking in past contributions.

Archived