House Price Crash Forum

Buying Early Could Beat The Market

brownbear

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

"A tried and tested way of obtaining a good price is to buy at the earliest stage of a development, if not off plan: developers will give strong incentives to sell the first few units on a site. But for buyers who want to move soon, waiting for the house to be built might not be the best option. In that case, look for developments that are close to fully sold. Developers will be open to offers to sell the last remaining homes, so they can close the site and move on."

Copied from the Independent article; so the best deals are right at the start, and right at the end? Is this true? I can see why the prices would be "cheap" early on, as there's a risk premium etc, but why cheap near the end of a successful development? Surely there'd be plenty of investors in the know who'd see it was a success and scoop up anything left? I can see why the developers would want to close up and move on but it seems odd that there'd be "bargains" left at the end of a successful development.

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
you say that now, but were you saying the same thing in 1995?

To be honest all my houses bar one [ my first one] were new build, and I've been very happy with them. That said they were all built by local builders who where always on the site if not always actually on the tools. And that I think is the big differance between suspect build quality on big "site agent" run sites, and exellent local builder products.

And your house will always comand a price premium if it is not on a sprawling new build estate......0pppppps for the house snobs amoungst us "development" ;)

HOLA448
you say that now, but were you saying the same thing in 1995?

As I wasn't looking to move I wasn't really aware of what the flat might be sold for and as I'd spent ages finding the right location, it truthfully didn't bother me that the flat was worth "marginally" less than I'd paid. I also mentioned in the original post that the rent for the identical flat above me was more than my mortgage so I was still saving money!

Location is the key, especially in London. Took me over a year to find the right place to buy - 95% were rejected on location alone didn't even bother viewing. In the end I viewed 2 properties.

HOLA449
As I wasn't looking to move I wasn't really aware of what the flat might be sold for and as I'd spent ages finding the right location, it truthfully didn't bother me that the flat was worth "marginally" less than I'd paid. I also mentioned in the original post that the rent for the identical flat above me was more than my mortgage so I was still saving money!

Location is the key, especially in London. Took me over a year to find the right place to buy - 95% were rejected on location alone didn't even bother viewing. In the end I viewed 2 properties.

location eh ? like close to a school ect ? ;)

HOLA4410

Schools are not the be all and end all.

I've lived in London for 5 years and hand-on-heart I can say that I would not want to live in about 90% of London. And of the remaining 10% I can probably only afford to live in 2% of that!

Steve is right. Location is everything.

A lot of London is very Emperor's New Clothes and looks far more prosperous than it really is. Angel is like this.

Scrape off the surface of the bars and coffee-shops and they really isnt much there though.

HOLA4411
location eh ? like close to a school ect ?Ā  ;)

Like close to a whole range of things. Primarily close to the things that you, the buyer, wants. But also what any potential buyer might want when you, the owner, comes to sell.

I looked for:

1) Max 5 mins to good rail network to city - not for me but for a future sale

2) Max 5 mins walk to a good supermarket

3) Max 10 mins walk to a decent nightlife (for midweek entertainment)

4) Easy access to West End.

5) Pleasant surroundings - trees, parks etc

6) Good, quick routes out of London.

As I wasn't interested in schools then and nor did I think they would be very important for a prospective buyer they were not important in my original decision.

HOLA4412

Tough criteria Steve:

Too pricey for me. I've gone for Max 10 mins to a good tube link

Check

5 mins walk. 15 minutes travel to the next 'scene'

30-40 minutes door to door

Check

Check

HOLA4413
Tough criteria Steve:

Too pricey for me. I've gone for Max 10 mins to a good tube link

Check

5 mins walk. 15 minutes travel to the next 'scene'

30-40 minutes door to door

Check

Check

Tough criteria certainly but necessary to enjoy life. I was brought up in the wilds of Kenton. Suburban hell. You couldn't pay me enough to live in that sort of place.

Lived in Hammersmith (St Peters Square) before selling earlier this year. For me the perfect London situation. We sold for more than the asking price.