House Price Crash Forum

Debt Education.

HOLA441

So you mean you don't know / can't be bothered to think about how to explain ISAs, but just reckon you could do it better than a guy who explains financial concepts for a living :rolleyes:

it's a tax-free savings product

Is that less clear than the cake analogy?

Based on your post, I'm guessing your day job involves neither explaining financial products, nor dealing with 5-year-olds.

That's my night job.

Let me also be clear that communication is a matter of horses for courses: cakes and cling film has it's place, but obviously to an audience financially sophisticated enough to be logging onto HPC.co.uk it will look patronising. That's why it's on Martin's site not here.

So what sort of audience would you say Martin's site attracts? Except for the DFW / Bankruptcy board, which attracts money spenders not savers, most of the forum members there seem to be fairly savvy (domestic consumers and savers, not investors, much like myself).

I have no interest in getting into an anonymous spat on the internet. Yes, there needs to be debt education in the UK but it is no good educating children on the subject when their parents barely understand it themselves.

Me: "Do you have enough money to buy it?"

Them: "No."

Me: "You can't have it then. What do you need to do?"

Them: "Save up until I do have enough."

Me: "Have a gold star."

HOLA442

I have no interest in getting into an anonymous spat on the internet.

Sorry, you're right - apologies if I sounded up for a fight.

"it's a tax-free savings product" is very clear as a one-liner.

If you want to go further and draw out the nuance of a cash ISA vs a shares ISA I think cakes is a reasonable way to do it for some audiences.

My main objection was to your inference that anyone who couldn't understand a shares ISA must be thick. Maybe we just differ in our opinions on that.

HOLA443
HOLA444