House Price Crash Forum

Winter/snow Direct Costs To Public Purse

matroskin

HOLA441

Moscow, Russia

Estimated cost for removing 1cm of snow: ~110m RUB, ~2.3M GBP or 2,133 GBP per sq km.

Costs in RUB are up 12% YoY.

Note: Moscow has to move snow 40km outside of city limits because it's contaminated and has to be dumped into landfill.

Sources:

http://izvestia.ru/obshestvo/article3149774/ (article in Russian, use Google translator to read)

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_area_of_Moscow_in_square_kilometers

Please add Your findings in this thread

HOLA442
HOLA443

Moscow has 9000 gritters and temperatures of -30 and typically multiple meters of snowfall.

Having driven from Southampton to Cheltenham in 2 hours yesterday, it then took me two hours to get from birdlip to the town centre because there were no gritters and nobody had any winter tyres. I saw two vehicles with snow chains and my own car with autosocks.

I arrived at the client's office to find they still hadn't made it in. It was worse on the way back. Birdlip shut. M5, M4, A34.

And all because of 2cm of snowfall.

So there has to be some action for there to be any cost.

HOLA444
HOLA445

Moscow has 9000 gritters and temperatures of -30 and typically multiple meters of snowfall.

Having driven from Southampton to Cheltenham in 2 hours yesterday, it then took me two hours to get from birdlip to the town centre because there were no gritters and nobody had any winter tyres. I saw two vehicles with snow chains and my own car with autosocks.

I arrived at the client's office to find they still hadn't made it in. It was worse on the way back. Birdlip shut. M5, M4, A34.

And all because of 2cm of snowfall.

So there has to be some action for there to be any cost.

Moscow has ~130cm of snowfall annually, this is mentioned in the izvestia.ru article, see my original post.

The costs of action or inaction have to be borne by public or private sector, in your case this was the cost of lost opportunities/profits for supermarkets and shops who did not get their deliveries in time.

Nice to see things are done differently in this country, more cost shifting to private sector, just like doctor ordered :P:P:P

Canada spends estimated CAD 1Bn annually on snow removal http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snow_removal