House Price Crash Forum

Let Us Decide

Number79

HOLA441

On a daily basis the front page of the forum is filled with all sorts of irrelevant crap from the media.

Often there are threads that turn up which are gold related and are instantly moved to the pm section never to be seen or discussed again.

Does no one wonder why the subject comes up so much?

This is a site about houses and houseprices yet all sorts is on the front page of the house prices and economy page. Many here, the majority infact, are waiting to buy a house. Discussions about where to and how to save are pertinent to the sites purpose.

When discussing our savings, how to hold them, the benefits to being cash/gold/anything with a view to buying a house when considering inflation/deflation there needs to be a thread that doesn't get dumped in the pm section.

One thread does not seem much, a thread about sterling/gold/inflation/holding str to be where everyone will read and contribute.

All opinions not just welcome but appreciated, mods included.

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

we are mostly here because we are interested in buying a house or the housing market or the general economy that affect all. We largely have savings to consider or investments to protect so would a general thread with a sticky not benefit all?

I know that gold threads tend to turn up all the time but there has to be a question about why. It is not just gold ramping and there are often great points raised against and for along with alternatives and why it may or may not be a good idea. It may or may not be a good idea if you are saving or protecting capital or saving for a house or have a short term view or have a 10 or 20 year view.

There are many ways to hold an str fund or a saving fund and that is just as important as any crap in the news. I think that we could all benefit from one thread that may roll along with day to day discussion about sterling/gold/interest rates/inflation/deflation etc etc

To much is lost because valueble threads get shelved and are no longer read or contributed to by the majority imo.

HOLA445
HOLA446

Noob.

Gold got so important it got its own sub-forum, you know where to find it (hint. not on the moon yet)

Why was it turning up so much though if it is so irrelevant and such a fringe interest? I dont believe that there are gold stalkers that innundate sites to start threads do you? I am not asking for a gold thread but a thread that can be allowed gold along with everything else. One thread with a sticky that everyone can read and comment in. Does that sound so bad?

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

:lol:

whats so funny? I know what happened here but discussions come up and are always popular until they get moved.

They arent started by the same people or perpetuated that way.

It is not an invasion of gold or inflation or str bugs.

these things come up because they affect those here or those here have an opinion or question.

I dont give ash1t about milliband or some bird who cant get a valuation or some bloke that wants to paint his conservatory, I want to discuss money and everything it has to do with houses.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

People do not understand what inflation is. This really is the foundation of the cash and saving discussion.

Understanding what inflation really means to us and our savings is the most important thing that we can gain here.

That understanding and discussion is what we really need and what needs to be kept here, peoples methods and opinions are all secondary. Treasuries, bods, lottery tickets I want to hear them all. I have money to protect and those that dont understand why they have to protect it need to understand what inflation really is.

People cant do that with constant broken threads being sent to different sub sections.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

I dont get it, I dont get why a forum like this with guys that know so much can contribute to arguments and give opinion only for the threads to disappear. There is such a wealth of info on this site that it is unrivaled. I spent time reading MSE and they have no idea. Why do we put the best minds and their opinions in places where no one will read because the thread takes a certain tone?

By denying anything metal related we lose the counter arguments of RB and others, we lose the charts and graphs, we lose the chance to read and respond. Then there is the inflationary plan about where to stick your cash.

So much info and discussion has been sidelined here that it is unreal. No more sh!t. No moer msm crap, lets have a thread where we can debate all and how all is related.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

I dont get it, I dont get why a forum like this with guys that know so much can contribute to arguments and give opinion only for the threads to disappear. There is such a wealth of info on this site that it is unrivaled. I spent time reading MSE and they have no idea. Why do we put the best minds and their opinions in places where no one will read because the thread takes a certain tone?

By denying anything metal related we lose the counter arguments of RB and others, we lose the charts and graphs, we lose the chance to read and respond. Then there is the inflationary plan about where to stick your cash.

So much info and discussion has been sidelined here that it is unreal. No more sh!t. No moer msm crap, lets have a thread where we can debate all and how all is related.

Agreed. I learnt a lot from the old gold thread that used ot exist on the main board. In fact, some of the arguments in that thread over 5 years ago spurred me to "protect myself" and have turned out to be the best non-leverage investment I have ever made. On that thread the arguments of those like RB were juxtaposed with the gold bugs and that helped me obtain a clearer view of the possibilities. The people on that thread also flagged up to me many ideas about how the financial bubble was going to unwind and, after filtering the wheat from the chaff, helped me turn a small deposit into a large one. I will always be thankful to those posters for helping me see the wood through the trees.

Over and above that, the debates on the gold threads often get to the heart of the matter and have bearing on the deflation versus inflation versus biflation/stagflation versus hyperinflation arguments, i.e. they bear directly on house prices and how to protect one's deposit.

I do not understand the hostility towards gold. I run into it everywhere in the anglo world, but less so elsewhere. Perhaps it is seen as luddite, regressive, unsophisticated (it's chav and rapper wear init?)...but look where financial sophistication has gotten us! Yes, it is just a rock with few commercial uses, but it is a rock that people have treated as a store of value for thousands of years. 40 years of paper money does not change that fact. Something has value because people believe it has value, and when things get uncertain they coordinate on what other people believe to be valuable, even if privately they think gold is an underwhelming yellow mineral. In game theoretic terms, it is a coordination problem, and gold (and presently, the USD) is the "answer." What people are coming around to is that it is a better answer than the USD and other paper as governments cannot print it. (Though GATA and others would argue that they are trying their best to do so.)

How anyone can think that assets aren't worthwhile owning at present when we have people like Charles Bean and Ben Bernanke basically saying they are going to let inflation run riot and devalue paper is beyond me. At some stage the gold price will crash - I suspect that if we have a market crash then the gold price will follow it down for the same reason it did in 2008 - but "they" will print and it will recover and go higher. At some stage I suspect it will go too high and the price will collapse to the marginal cost of production or lower, but I just don't think that is yet; there are still too many problems and too much uncertainty about government responses.

Edited by Tiger Woods?

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

Had to search in my history of posts to find this thread, couldnt find it any other way.

Gold is money so to have a website called housePRICEcrash.co.uk that only alows gold to be disussed in a subforum as investments is missing the point. IMO, of course. There used to be a gold thread in the main section that floated freely and it was moved, so what you are asking for existed previously and the decision was taken not to permit discussion of real money in the main discussion, only houses priced in the local currency. Ironicly houses have crashed massively since 2005* from 700 ounces to 200 ounces for the average house, so because they refused to listen to any talk of gold, they missed out on the HPC and only got a currency crash that equaled the decline in house prices! Serves them right really.....

*interestingly, a number of quality posters such as JD financial planner & DrBubb appeared to be too early in their prediction of a crash in prices, but with hindsight they were spot on if viewed in gold ounces.

Edited by endgame

• 5 weeks later...
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421

only for the threads to disappear.

But they don't disappear. That is just misinformation on your part. They're still there in the gold forum. If not a lot of people go there, whose fault is that?

Agreed. I learnt a lot from the old gold thread that used ot exist on the main board.

That thread is still on the site.

HOLA4422

But they don't disappear. That is just misinformation on your part. They're still there in the gold forum. If not a lot of people go there, whose fault is that?

Read the posts :rolleyes: I was not saying that they disappear as in being deleted but disappear from the main forum and moved to the pm section.

That thread is still on the site.

It is pretty much dead though, all of the action is on the main page which it seems that many do not venture from. Did you not read the thread or look at the vote ffs? :rolleyes: