House Price Crash Forum

Lest We Forget

Laughing Gnome

HOLA441

So four MP's got to court charged with expenses fraud.

Initial defence if I remember correctly was that the court had no jurisdiction under Parliamentary priviledge.

They refused to sit in the dock, was that significant?

I am reminded of the Freemen on the Land arguments about Statutary Law being subsidiary to Common Law

and resting on law of contract between the Government and the Governed.

Stuff about resisting court "trickery" by which consent is presumed according to Admiralty Law principles,

the "Dock" being an old Admiralty court term, and confirmation that one "Understands" being taken to mean

one "Stands Under" the Statute and the authority of the court. Maybe that's a big red herring.

Anyway, have I just been distracted by overlayed "News", did I just miss the outcome or has it all been pushed out of sight?

Have there been injunctions, or maybe a super-injunction. How would we know?

Am I just ignorant or is something going on here. I really have no idea.

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

No they lost the first court case. i.e the Judge found that parlimentary priviledge did not apply. They have appealed this decision, as is thier right, to the supreme court.

What was interesting is that they were still in the Labour mode of massive spending and asked for 6 Barristers to represent them at taxpayers expense. The Judge said that the country was in austerity mode and could not afford such largesse and they could all share one barrister at taxpayers expense. Ha Ha, well done judge.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/mps-expenses/8001641/MPs-expenses-case-taken-to-Supreme-Court.html

HOLA4410

No they lost the first court case. i.e the Judge found that parlimentary priviledge did not apply. They have appealed this decision, as is thier right, to the supreme court.

What was interesting is that they were still in the Labour mode of massive spending and asked for 6 Barristers to represent them at taxpayers expense. The Judge said that the country was in austerity mode and could not afford such largesse and they could all share one barrister at taxpayers expense. Ha Ha, well done judge.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/mps-expenses/8001641/MPs-expenses-case-taken-to-Supreme-Court.html

Thanks Ralph. So it's suspended whilst a different issue is under appeal?

But surely, the judges ruling would have prevailed for the duration of the trial, appeal comes after?

Or are they convicted but still on the loose pending their appeal over the competence of the court?

HOLA4411

But surely, the judges ruling would have prevailed for the duration of the trial, appeal comes after?

Or were they convicted but still on the loose pending their appeal over the competence of the court?

No the fraud charges have not gone to trial yet. The MP's sole defence apart from stupidity was that they are not subject to common law because they were MP's and so had parlimentatry privilidge and could only be judged by thier peers i.e MP's.

It is this should they have or not have parlimentary priviledge that is being decided at the moment.

HOLA4412

Or are they convicted but still on the loose pending their appeal over the competence of the court?

Sorry Ralph, catching up here I think.

The initial court case was an appeal against the right of the State to prosecute them at all, as opposed to a fraud trial as such?

HOLA4413

No the fraud charges have not gone to trial yet. The MP's sole defence apart from stupidity was that they are not subject to common law because they were MP's and so had parlimentatry privilidge and could only be judged by thier peers i.e MP's.

It is this should they have or not have parlimentary priviledge that is being decided at the moment.

Crossed in post.

Thanks Ralph, that's very clear.

HOLA4414

Archived