House Price Crash Forum

Ubs Whistleblower Gets Rewarded With Prison Time

Dubai

HOLA441

Because of Birkenfeld, the feds are now going after hundreds, possibly thousands, of tax evaders. They have collected a $780 million fine from UBS and forced the bank’s cooperation in finding previously secret customers.The list of those so far charged in the scheme numbers nine, led by Raoul Weil, the former chief executive officer of global wealth management for UBS.So why is the man who blew the whistle on a mammoth tax fraud facing prison time? The feds will tell you it’s because he played a role in the conspiracy, a fact he failed to mention when he first stepped forward. ..The gumment isn't protecting the super rich, of course. http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=newsarchive&sid=aLtxtJDMz9P0

HOLA442

Par for the course, I have never known a whistle blower get promoted or praised, usualy vilified and ostracized quite often also by those who are in agreement or benefited from what has been exposed, must be some primitive, tribal, inbuilt instinct that has been offended.

HOLA443

Par for the course, I have never known a whistle blower get promoted or praised, usualy vilified and ostracized quite often also by those who are in agreement or benefited from what has been exposed, must be some primitive, tribal, inbuilt instinct that has been offended.

I've been following this case for some time. Absolutely disgusting was they are doing to this guy. My recollection is the claim of "not ratting on himself" is also dubious and a technicality because various agencies were involved. He is on official record to a senate committee detailing his involvement with a Russian billionaire in mid 2007 before any Justice Department charges were laid against him.

He is, quite simply, being punished for crossing real power. Because of the IRS amnesty we will never know how many senators, congressmen, senior judges, bankers etc. were caught up in this. How convenient.

Killing the messenger appears to be human nature, and a warning to others who might try to upset the way things run. More ammunition for my basic misanthropy.

Another reason for his conviction:

Under IRS regulations, people who blow the whistle on tax cheaters can be eligible for rewards of up to 30 percent of any money the IRS recoups. However, an IRS notice says the agency will refuse to pay a reward if the whistleblower "is convicted of criminal conduct arising from his or her role in planning and initiating" the tax evasion.

Edited by Tiger Woods?