House Price Crash Forum

James Whale On Lbc At About 4Pm

HOLA441

James Whale did a piece at 4pm about social housing and the likely cuts that would lead to longer waiting lists.

He took the view I'd expect, and didn't have great sympathy for some tenants who are the sort of people who trash their council/housing association homes or just expect to stay there with no ambition. One lady caller who had escaped social housing said it had been a struggle and James said well what do you expect, most people do struggle and so I wouldn't expect anything else, he then congratulated her on making the leap to private ownership.

Then a man called in. He said he lived on Oxshott in Social Housing, but previously he had lived in house in Oxshott that was probably now worth £3m. He claimed his current position was down to having been made bankrupt and then muttered something about mortgages/loans where you didn't have to declare your true income. James Whale then ended the conversation saying he had better stop there before they called the police on both of us.

I am not sure how lighthearted James' own remark was. It is known that he got kidney cancer (which he now campaigns on) and so there probably was a period where it was very difficult for him and also the nature of his job would probably have not provided for consistent income as DJs are effectively self-employed. Anyway I am pleased James Whale recovered and it is a pleasure to hear him on the radio.

But clearly the other guy sounded like he was over-leveraged - admitting to James that he was no good at business.

Edited by Mikhail Liebenstein

HOLA442

James Whale did a piece at 4pm about social housing and the likely cuts that would lead to longer waiting lists.

He took the view I'd expect, and didn't have great sympathy for some tenants who are the sort of people who trash their council/housing association homes or just expect to stay there with no ambition. One lady caller who had escaped social housing said it had been a struggle and James said well what do you expect, most people do struggle and so I wouldn't expect anything else, he then congratulated her on making the leap to private ownership.

Then a man called in. He said he lived on Oxshott in Social Housing, but previously he had lived in house in Oxshott that was probably now worth £3m. He claimed his current position was down to having been made bankrupt and then muttered something about mortgages/loans where you didn't have to declare your true income. James Whale then ended the conversation saying he had better stop there before they called the police on both of us.

I am not sure how lighthearted James' own remark was. It is known that he got kidney cancer (which he now campaigns on) and so there probably was a period where it was very difficult for him and also the nature of his job would probably have not provided for consistent income as DJs are effectively self-employed. Anyway I am pleased James Whale recovered and it is a pleasure to hear him on the radio.

But clearly the other guy sounded like he was over-leveraged - admitting to James that he was no good at business.

Being overleveraged doesnt mean you arent good at business it means you are carp at timing. Theres plenty of property gazillionnaires out there who just happened to start 20/30 years earlier by an accident of birth or whatever

Edited by Tamara De Lempicka

HOLA443

I'm struggling to understand here why someone who 'makes the leap' from a secure low rent home situation into a massively inflated asset on a downward trajectory that is very likely far more costly to live in is to be viewed as a smart ambitious and superior type person- wouldn't the term idiot be more accurate?

HOLA444
HOLA445

I'm struggling to understand here why someone who 'makes the leap' from a secure low rent home situation into a massively inflated asset on a downward trajectory that is very likely far more costly to live in is to be viewed as a smart ambitious and superior type person- wouldn't the term idiot be more accurate?

A large portion of our culture has deliberately shaped by landowners to asume themselves as superior and worthy

Many people simply can't shake the mindwashing, no matter how much information reaches them

Edited by Stars

HOLA446

I have to agree.

HOLA447

There is no reason people in the 21st century west really need to struggle to provide themselves with shelter in the same way a cancer sufferer struggles with cancer. Struggling with cancer shouldn't be an excuse to stick your head up your own rectum and turn your brain off.

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

Being overleveraged doesnt mean you arent good at business it means you are carp at timing. Theres plenty of property gazillionnaires out there who just happened to start 20/30 years earlier by an accident of birth or whatever

Its a danger if you skate on thin ice! ;)